Indiana Jones boot alternative

Rick cubed!

I just bought the same boots. They should be here by Wednesday! Getting rather excited now! Things are coming together!:love

Revitalizing this thread, as interest in Indy things seems to be slowly building...

I just ordered a pair of what seem to be good-looking Alden alternatives here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PD5HD2

They had lots of sizes in stock, including wides, which are extremely hard to find.

What's more, a discount coupon offer and free shipping. So altogether, under $80 shipped, which I thought was a good deal for a new pair of shoes. I'll try to let you know how they feel when I get them, and post a pic.

Rick

I don't have a good pic of them, but I did exactly what I said I was going to - got brown laces, colored in the stitches everywhere except the toe, and painted the eyelets brown - and they look really good. Amazing what that little change in coloring does for them!

I couldn't figure out a colorant that wouldn't rub off, or I would have colored the sides of the heels black for an even better match.

RRR

RickRickRick: May I recommend some stuff called Edge Dressing. The military uses it to make their shoes black around the edges. The stuff stays on for awhile but depends on how often you wear the shoes and they get scuffed on the edges.

It comes in dull black so it should do the job to simulate the soles of the Alden's.

I don't have a good pic of them, but I did exactly what I said I was going to - got brown laces, colored in the stitches everywhere except the toe, and painted the eyelets brown - and they look really good. Amazing what that little change in coloring does for them!

I couldn't figure out a colorant that wouldn't rub off, or I would have colored the sides of the heels black for an even better match.

RRR

I just got my shoes today and I think they'll work quite well. RRR, what did you use to color the eyelets and stiching? I'm thinking a brown fine point sharpie or something like that?

I used a fine reddish-brown art marker on the stitching - took a while! Be sure to leave the toe stitching white. The eyelets I painted with brown enamel after I sanded them as best I could. Wasn't foolproof - I really didn't wait long enough before putting laces thru them and the laces sort of stuck in places and of course pulled off paint. Painting the eyelets was tricky - had to use a VERY fine brush and be careful not to get paint on the shoes - I did not mask off the eyelets in any way - too impatient.:rolleyes

Good luck and have fun!

Rick

RRR How is the comfort of these boots? Have you worn them for a long period of time? Just curious with the steel shank and steel toes!

Mine have shipped and should be here Friday!

Like all shoes, they take a while to break in, and at first they seemed stiff. After wearing them for one very long day, they are quite comfortable.

Rick

Guys, I need your opinions - what do you like better the Chocolate, ro the Russet?

ShoeTest003.JPG

ShoeTest004.JPG

ShoeTest005.JPG

ShoeTest006.JPG

ShoeTest007.JPG

ShoeTest001.JPG

ShoeTest002.JPG

Gotta say, just watched the trailer for the new film AGAIN, and while they're very distressed, his Aldens still look like the base color is reddish, not a chocolate brown. So I personally would go for the russet.

Rick

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back