Iron Man Helmet finishing, need advice..

cboath

Master Member
I just got my first helmet last night. I haven't had time to photograph it yet, but it's pretty much dead on to what you can see here:

http://www.therpf.com/f13/ironman-mark-3-lids-new-run-started-107253/index2.html#post1576574

I don't want to screw this up, so i'm looking for advice on how to go about sanding the helmet, specifically the seam you see on the jaw. What sandpaper do I need?

For working the edges of the neck and faceplate, do i still use sandpaper or a dremel? Same with the eyes, what should i use to cut them out?

I've never had to do anything like this before that's why i'm asking for the advice. I know enough to sand the seam, but not what grit sandpaper, etc.

Thanks!

star with a coarse sandpaper like 180 grit to get rid of any mismatches/mold lines, then work to a smoother grade like 600, for cutting out the eyes I would drill a guide hole through each one, large enough to get a dremmel sanding drum in, then use the dremmel slowly to work out to the shape of the eye, finish it off with needle files and more 600 grade sandpaper, it depends how fussy you are about tidyness. Take your time, you have to be happy with the end result after all!

star with a coarse sandpaper like 180 grit to get rid of any mismatches/mold lines, then work to a smoother grade like 600, for cutting out the eyes I would drill a guide hole through each one, large enough to get a dremmel sanding drum in, then use the dremmel slowly to work out to the shape of the eye, finish it off with needle files and more 600 grade sandpaper, it depends how fussy you are about tidyness. Take your time, you have to be happy with the end result after all!

Thanks. I'll pick up those sand papers tomorrow. How much should it take? Oh, and speaking of tidyness, is this going to make a huge mess (lots of fiberglass powder)? Better to do in the garage as opposed to my work desk?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back