Iron Man see through LED eyes

Yeah.. just some scrap pieces of 1/4" clear acrylic (cast)..

I had a thinner piece... but it was extruded.. and doesnt etch well..

so I did the test on the thicker stuff..

very cool! maybe compress the hexagons, make them smaller and add more, make the lines a bit thinner, might make it easier to see through.

I think 'visually' you are right.. and that would look better

(to be honest I was having a hell of a time trying to make 1 hex/honeycomb pattern as 1 'path' so I could change the stroke on it to experiment more) LOL

I think smaller & thinner would 'look' better.. but I dont see it being any better to attempt to see through. :(

still if anyone wants something like this for their current lens/overlays... let me know.

I think 'visually' you are right.. and that would look better

(to be honest I was having a hell of a time trying to make 1 hex/honeycomb pattern as 1 'path' so I could change the stroke on it to experiment more) LOL

I think smaller & thinner would 'look' better.. but I dont see it being any better to attempt to see through. :(

still if anyone wants something like this for their current lens/overlays... let me know.

Would it be easier to see out of if there was a layer of opaque material behind the acrilic etch lines? Something to cut out the light getting to the inside?

Might worth a try... but it being that close (I just held it up to my face).. the bleed over (of light) is pretty good..

I can try to cut out some paper or whatever in the same 'pattern' and then apply and see if it helps any..

Hey all,

I am able to share some con experience with laser etched acrylic eyes for my Mk 40 Cosplay.

I used to have a rectangular pattern over the entire eye, looks great and the illumination with just one LED works great, unfortunately especially in darker environments you can barely see anything.
So for V2 of the eyes I just tried an outline around the eye, worked pretty good aswell but resulted in a much dimmer eye illumination. For the most part at cons I walk around with the faceplate open anyways since it is more comfortable and just close the faceplate for pictures.

IMG_20180728_173641.jpg

Those look good but I see what you mean dark, in well lit areas.
I'm finishing a helmet for a con and used the same fabric I use on Spiderman eyes, it's a hex pattern that reflects the ambient light, one layer so I can see well, I'm going to add some LED lighting to see how much brighter I can make the eyes and still see through them.
If it doesn't work no biggie I'm going with just fabric for the con I have 4 months until next con to get right.

IMG_20190510_164334.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back