Jordan Peele’s “NOPE”

NOPE Obi-Wan.gif

I enjoyed Get Out, but found Us to be a bit ridiculous, more of a concept that wasn't really thought through into a proper story. I have yet to see Nope because for some reason it was delayed by about 2 weeks here in the UK so it's been tricky trying to avoid spoilers but then when a second trailer was shown when I watched Thor Love and Thunder and certain elements that had been kept back in the first trailer were revealed I decided to not be so strict in avoiding spoilers.

I know Jordan Peele is a big fan of Rod Serling's Twilight Zone and thus was given the chance to reboot it, but I think apart from a couple of episodes the reboot was pretty weak. In that respect, I feel Jordan Peele is becoming a bit of a JJ Abrams in that he has these short concepts but they don't feel fully fleshed out, almost like a first draft script was written and filmed rather than taking time to work things through.
I'll give Nope a chance but given the reviews have been so mixed I feel this could be a love it or hate it type film. I hope to be proved wrong.

Last edited:
My girlfriend and I had free tickets for the cinema and decided to go and see Nope yesterday.
I'd place this after Get Out but ahead of Us in the Jordan Peele trilogy of films he has released so far.
On the positive side, I appreciated that this was an organic alien rather than a ship carrying invaders, it reminded me of some episodes of Star Trek which dealt with large organic aliens, the Doomsday Machine, Gomtuu from TNG, and especially in its appearance the organic aliens from "Encounter at Farpoint", with notable mention to the space borne aliens in "Elogium".

I really liked the overtly, deliberate "hollywood" moment when OJ rides off to lure the alien away with Michael Abels homage to the western theme pumping, in the track "The Run (Urban Legends)" .

Another standout track for me was "Man Down".

Some questionable aspects were.
Why did the cinematographer not have multiple magazines of film loaded and ready to change out given he was using IMAX film which gives fewer frames per roll and therefore would run out quicker? Why was he cranking film well before the alien made any signs of showing up? It made him look like a bit of an amateur which is in contrast to previous suggestions that he is a highly professional, experienced cinematographer. Seemed like an almost deliberate attempt to either make him look incompetent or create false drama by having the roll of film run out just at the moment the alien appeared.
Surely someone else would have detected the alien presence, it was killing numerous people and even a TMZ guy was able to determine something wasn't right because of "Google maps being fuzzy" in that area, so surely someone at the Met. office or NASA would have found it intriguing that there were continous intermittent, moving electrical disturbances going on for weeks, months even and didn't send even one scientist to investigate.
How was it that Lucky the horse survived the encounter at Jupiter's Claim during the incident where Jupe and the spectators as well as parts of the park were all sucked up by the alien? Sure the horse was in a plastic/glass box, but the alien could suck up similarly sized and objects. I don't buy that it was because the horse was called Lucky.

The Gordy aspect of the film could easily have been trimmed out and not effected the overall plot. OJ came to the conclusion that the alien was only consuming beings who made direct eye contact, which he pieced together from the advice his father gave him during a dream sequence/memory and OJs unfortunate incident on the film set when the VFX chrome ball spooked the horse.

These kinds of plot points happen often in films, there are likely very few, if any that don't have things you can pick out as odd.

On the whole it was fairly enjoyable, I'd probably watch it once more if it came to Netflix.
I enjoy sci-fi films and this one had its standout moments but overall I'd say a 6.5/10, maybe with the interesting score by Michael Abels I'll bump it up to a 7.

Last edited:
I finally got around to seeing it and, well... It was okay. The "antagonist" could have been a little more conventional, but points for originality, I guess. The beginning progressed alright, but the end just seemed to drag. I didn't see "Get Out" or "Us", so I really can't comment on how it compares to either one.
Nah, what was good about it was that it wasn't the same old conventional thing. LOVED that.

Saw it... was decently entertained, but didn't find it to be that exciting. The alien scenes should have been as horrifying and tense as the chimpanzee part, but it just wasn't. It just felt like it was dragging out and had no real tension. And the Akira slide was just SO out of place.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back