Julien’s Upcoming Hero Phaser & Communicator Auction

I've heard the GJ version story too, and I've always thought that was perhaps something he would tell people when he showed them his props; "yeah, it's got a big crack in it from the last goofball I let touch this. What's that, you don't want to hold it? Okay, suit yourself!" :p

I've heard the GJ version story too, and I've always thought that was perhaps something he would tell people when he showed them his props; "yeah, it's got a big crack in it from the last goofball I let touch this. What's that, you don't want to hold it? Okay, suit yourself!" :p
Was this the, hold my beer “oops I dropped it again” incident (at a van down by the river/ parking lot?) Some real professional handling during that photo shoot! :rolleyes: GJ came across as being so casual in allowing others to handle the phaser.

Was this the, hold my beer “oops I dropped it again” incident (at a van down by the river/ parking lot?) Some real professional handling during that photo shoot! :rolleyes: GJ came across as being so casual with regards to handling the phaser.

Indeed! I'm sad I never got to meet him or thank him for everything he did to help everyone. Most of what we all know about TOS props comes down to him being generous and open about his collection.

but I don’t know where this whole story about it being dropped came from.
GJ in Charlie X scence.png

A zoom of the Greg Jein, in the red shirts hand, when it was a B&W Hero - in "Charlie X".

Red Shirt points GJ at Charlie.png

As you can see - even in the grainy zoom - the left forehead is missing.
Yes - the Greg Jein was dropped during the filming of an earlier episode before "Charlie X".

As far as can be determined, only the Jein had the Velcro
Not so - the photo graphic evidence in the early season one episodes clearly reveals there were two Hero P1s with Velcro for hanging Hero P2s on the gold pistol belts:
vlcsnap-00001.png

This scene from "The Man Trap" - where there are clearly 2 Hero P2s hanging on two gold pistol belts - strongly suggests there were at least two Hero P1s with Velcro on the left side for this purpose.

When "The Man Tap" was filmed - the "highly detailed dummy phasers" (aka "midgrades") did not yet exist.
The "plastic" P2s are easily distinguished from the "Practical" P2s in these early episodes.

I have postulated, based on looking at the scenes where Captain Kirk "wears" a hero P2 on his gold pistol belt in "The Man Trap", that the actor must have had a prop malfunction (prop fall to the set floor) - based on the position of his right hand relative to his hanging Hero P2, in the early scenes in the ruins compared to the later scenes when he hunting Dr. Crater.

Screenshot from 2022-04-20 13-01-42.png

I believe the Hero P2 on Kirk's belt in this scene is the Greg Jein - which he beamed down with and then wore into the ruins.
Notice how the P2 is arranged on the gold belt - it is horizontal - almost parallel to the set floor. (Note: in the photo above Kirk is reaching for his
P2 after he Nancy Crater screams.)

And later when Captain Kirk now wears the Riley/ Lenore P2 on his gold belt - the Hero P2s are then arranged vertically on the gold belt - as if the prop master wanted more Velcro hooks on more Velcro loops.

Screenshot from 2022-06-04 08-02-28.png

I have not found a script or shooting schedule for the episode "The Man Trap". So I cannot be certain when scenes
were filmed. However I can see actor behavior changes in relation to their props...

but the Velcro hero only shows up a couple times after they all got converted and never again after Shore Leave, right? Perhaps it kept needing repairs and it was deemed "problematic" and just kept in a box for the rest of production.
"...but the Velcro hero only shows up a couple times after they all got converted and never again after Shore Leave, right?"
WinstonWolf359,
Yes - I now believe that Wah converted the 2nd Hero P1 with Velcro on the Left side for carrying Hero P2s on gold pistol belts to a third Hero P1 for closeup/insert shot use and removed the Velcro, added a watch crown and blue jewel and two side rails.
Thus only the Greg Jein had Velcro on the left side for carrying a Hero P2 on the black pistol belt or drop down Velcro pad after WMC.
And the Greg Jein was filmed matted to the Finney P2 in the "Shore Leave" scene.
As for other scenes where a Hero P2 was hanging on a black belt or the drop down Velcro pad after the WMC "rework" - they all look like "midgrades" to me...

"...but the Velcro hero only shows up a couple times after they all got converted and never again after Shore Leave, right?"
WinstonWolf359,
Yes - I now believe that Wah converted the 2nd Hero P1 with Velcro on the Left side for carrying Hero P2s on gold pistol belts to a third Hero P1 for closeup/insert shot use and removed the Velcro, added a watch crown and blue jewel and two side rails.
Thus only the Greg Jein had Velcro on the left side for carrying a Hero P2 on the black pistol belt or drop down Velcro pad after WMC.
And the Greg Jein was filmed matted to the Finney P2 in the "Shore Leave" scene.
As for other scenes where a Hero P2 was hanging on a black belt or the drop down Velcro pad after the WMC "rework" - they all look like "midgrades" to me...
Dude, your research is exhaustive! This is some fascinating detective work.

Not so - the photo graphic evidence in the early season one episodes clearly reveals there were two Hero P1s with Velcro for hanging Hero P2s on the gold pistol belts:
View attachment 1847167
This scene from "The Man Trap" - where there are clearly 2 Hero P2s hanging on two gold pistol belts - strongly suggests there were at least two Hero P1s with Velcro on the left side for this purpose.
He was talking about the post conversion phasers, not the B & W which we know more than one had Velcro. There is still no evidence that the GJ fell off of Kirks belt and that is why it is broken; that is just a made-up story. I looked through all of the production records for this episode and there is no mention of it.

The scene of Kirk in Craters quarters was filmed before the scenes of them out amongst the ruins searching for Crater. Further, you cannot possibly know which B & W became which reworked phaser. Please stop spreading disinformation!!! This is certainly not what I would consider "exhaustive" detective work; far from it!

Last edited:
He was talking about the post conversion phasers, not the B & W which we know more than one had Velcro. There is still no evidence that the GJ fell off of Kirks belt and that is why it is broken; that is just a made-up story. I looked through all of the production records for this episode and there is no mention of it.
Well, it must have fallen at some time to crack it. Shatner broke communicators... he's an easy target, LOL.

The scene of Kirk in Craters quarters was filmed before the scenes of them out amongst the ruins searching for Crater. Further, you cannot possibly know which B & W became which reworked phaser. Please stop spreading disinformation!!! This is certainly not what I would consider "exhaustive" detective work; far from it!

Do I get any dressing for the salad?

Spock's phaser seemed to have the Lenore super-short emitter... okay, just spitballin'.

"He was talking about the post conversion phasers,"
- - My mistake - apologies Gregatron.

"There is still no evidence that the GJ fell off of Kirks belt and that is why it is broken; that is just a made-up story. I looked through all of the production records for this episode and there is no mention of it.'
- - I will not argue with your research into the Desilu production records. Question though (with respect) - were all of the prop repairs made by the Effects Department reported to upper management (in memos)?

"The scene of Kirk in Craters quarters was filmed before the scenes of them out amongst the ruins searching for Crater."
- - exactly - this is what I have been saying - it appears Kirk had no fear of his Hero P2 dropping off his belt in these early scenes. In the later scenes out amongst the ruins - Kirk clearly has his hand hovering over his P2 which was hanging vertically out in the ruins...

"Further, you cannot possibly know which B & W became which reworked phaser." -
- agreed I cannot state with certainty ("know") the following photo comparisons are proof - however I can state the photographic evidence suggests that certain "tells" do allow an observer to draw such conclusions as can be useful until such time as the observations are prooven to be incorrect:

Kirk and Spock P2s - Eps5 - close ups.png

This Hero P2 in Kirk's hand in "The Enemy With" has a concentric cylindrical emitter. There was only one WMC Hero P2 that had such an emitter:
Phaser2-Kious.jpg

The "Unknown" Hero P2 in this outtake shot has the same concentric cylindrical emitter.

The following photo shows a Hero P2 with the emitter all the way down and a screw on the front right side.
Greg Jein (as B&W) in Charlie X.png

There is was only one WMC Hero P2 that had the emitter so low on the front of the P2 body - Greg Jein P2:

IMG_0002.png

In my opinion - the B&W Hero P2 in the red shirts hand in "Charlie X" was the future "Greg Jein" P2.

And the following Hero B&W P2 on Kirk's gold belt has a short conical emitter and no screw on the right side:
Episode 6 Hero P2 on belt.png

IMO there was only one WMC Hero P2 that had a short conical emitter and no screw on the right side - the "Riley /Lenore".
There was only one other WMC Hero P2 that did not have a screw on the right side:
IMG_0217.JPG

In my opinion this B&W P2 is the future WMC Finney P2.

"Please stop spreading disinformation!!!"
- - I do not believe that expressing my opinions to the members of therpf is spreading disinformation! This is a hobby for me - that I enjoy very much. And in keeping with the ideals of therpf I will share what I see in the photographic evidence with the members of this forum...

The 4 Hero B&W Hero P2s.png

Last edited:
"He was talking about the post conversion phasers,"
- - My mistake - apologies Gregatron.

"There is still no evidence that the GJ fell off of Kirks belt and that is why it is broken; that is just a made-up story. I looked through all of the production records for this episode and there is no mention of it.'
- - I will not argue with your research into the Desilu production records. Question though (with respect) - were all of the prop repairs made by the Effects Department reported to upper management (in memos)?

"The scene of Kirk in Craters quarters was filmed before the scenes of them out amongst the ruins searching for Crater."
- - exactly - this is what I have been saying - it appears Kirk had no fear of his Hero P2 dropping off his belt in these early scenes. In the later scenes out amongst the ruins - Kirk clearly has his hand hovering over his P2 which was hanging vertically out in the ruins...

"Further, you cannot possibly know which B & W became which reworked phaser." -
- agreed I cannot state with certainty ("know") the following photo comparisons are proof - however I can state the photographic evidence suggests that certain "tells" do allow an observer to draw such conclusions as can be useful until such time as the observations are prooven to be incorrect:

View attachment 1847331
This Hero P2 in Kirk's hand in "The Enemy With" has a concentric cylindrical emitter. There was only one WMC Hero P2 that had such an emitter:
View attachment 1847328
The "Unknown" Hero P2 in this outtake shot has the same concentric cylindrical emitter.

The following photo shows a Hero P2 with the emitter all the way down and a screw on the front right side.
View attachment 1847329
There is was only one WMC Hero P2 that had the emitter so low on the front of the P2 body - Greg Jein P2:

View attachment 1847330
In my opinion - the B&W Hero P2 in the red shirts hand in "Charlie X" was the future "Greg Jein" P2.

And the following Hero B&W P2 on Kirk's gold belt has a short conical emitter and no screw on the right side:
View attachment 1847332
IMO there was only one WMC Hero P2 that had a short conical emitter and no screw on the right side - the "Riley /Lenore".
There was only one other WMC Hero P2 that did not have a screw on the right side:
View attachment 1847333
In my opinion this B&W P2 is the future WMC Finney P2.

"Please stop spreading disinformation!!!"
- - I do not believe that expressing my opinions to the members of therpf is spreading disinformation! This is a hobby for me - that enjoy very much. And in keeping with the ideals of therpf I will share what I see in the photographics evidence of the with the members...

View attachment 1847334

Totally off-topic, but I’m probably one of the few who actually loves the sleek and utilitarian Black and White Phasers.

IMG_5564.jpeg

Last edited:
So, based on the photos of the B&W's above, there is no way to identify ANY of them. There is not even anyway to prove the broken B&W is the GJ. We don't even know if there was more than one broken hero but certainly Wah would have repaired the break and it would be just as plausible that the GJ broke after production ended, which is what the story has been for decades. The picture you posted of the so called GJ is so pixilated that you can not see ANY details! This nonsensical assertion that Shatner dropped it filming "Mantrap" this is pure made-up fantasy. It could have been broken in the prop room and they put it on the utility belt BECAUSE it was already broken, not wanting to risk breaking another which is more plausible than your assertation. If it was broken on the set, why would they not replace it with another since the prop room was on the same stage? The broken B&W could be ANY of the hero phasers, so this is what I would classify as disinformation because all the picture tells us is that one of the B&W's was broken, something that has been known forever. The B&W you have listed as the Finny, looks like the "Shore Leave" hero but it is certainly NOT the TMOST / Finney. How did you identify the "Unknown" or the Riley / Lenore? Are these the pictures you based your identification on? There is absolutely no way to identify these: period.

This is a hobby I enjoy and have spent years trying to accurately convey information after spending years wading through all of the B.S. that people post. I loath this throwing out of unsubstantiated, un-provable statements that with the most basic of research can be either completely disproven or can be written off just by looking at the photos you post. This is the kind of bogus information that will be repeated for years because someone will read this and take it as fact, without doing any research themselves and that annoys me to no end. For example, your assertation that Shatner dropped and broke the GJ has been repeated multiples times here thanks to you; it is complete nonsense.

Last edited:
So, based on the photos of the B&W's above, there is no way to identify ANY of them. There is not even anyway to prove the broken B&W is the GJ. We don't even know if there was more than one broken hero but certainly Wah would have repaired the break and it would be just as plausible that the GJ broke after production ended, which is what the story has been for decades. The picture you posted of the so called GJ is so pixilated that you can not see ANY details! This nonsensical assertion that Shatner dropped it filming "Mantrap" this is pure made-up fantasy. It could have been broken in the prop room and they put it on the utility belt BECAUSE it was already broken, not wanting to risk breaking another which is more plausible than your assertation. If it was broken on the set, why would they not replace it with another since the prop room was on the same stage? The broken B&W could be ANY of the hero phasers, so this is what I would classify as disinformation because all the picture tells us is that one of the B&W's was broken, something that has been known forever. The B&W you have listed as the Finny, looks like the "Shore Leave" hero but it is certainly NOT the TMOST / Finney. How did you identify the "Unknown" or the Riley / Lenore? Are these the pictures you based your identification on? There is absolutely no way to identify these: period.

This is a hobby I enjoy and have spent years trying to accurately convey information after spending years wading through all of the B.S. that people post. I loath this throwing out of unsubstantiated, un-provable statements that with the most basic of research can be either completely disproven or can be written off just by looking at the photos you post. This is the kind of bogus information that will be repeated for years because someone will read this and take it as fact, without doing any research themselves and that annoys me to no end. For example, your assertation that Shatner dropped and broke the GJ has been repeated multiples times here thanks to you; it is complete nonsense.
I have no doubt that the Charlie phaser is the GJ, the forehead crack is a perfect match. The floor and the color of the other security guy's face shows through the sight window.
Screenshot 2024-08-05 005050.jpg

Screenshot 2024-08-04 141145.jpg

Screenshot 2022-07-19 225511.jpg

But who "dropped it" and when? No way to determine.

Back