Suggestion Junkyard is better than Marketplace. (implemented)

Thank you! Progress is good but so is recognising which bits of the past are worth preserving. I think it's a positive thing that so many members have formed an attachment to something so simple. I think it says a lot about how important The RPF is to them on a personal level; something that the team is obviously working hard to encourage.

You know what's awesome? That you all set ego and who-gets-whose-way aside and took a dispassionate view on something that was passionate for a few.

I don't feel like "we got our way" so much as we helped save a beloved institution from the wrecking ball. Whoever upthread connoted it to the renaming of a favorite pub was spot on and I salute you (even though I don't scroll back to see who you were :)

I now demand JUNKYARD ICON T-SHIRTS! Who starts the petition? :)

The whole site looks REAL nice. Great facelift! I was here the moment it changed over! I was browsing a forum and then suddenly BAM! There it was!

Very cool and easy to navigate. Well done!

+1 Thanks to Art and the rest of the team.

You probably don't hear it enough, but this really is one of the best moderated sites I have been to, and your openness in discussing the JY (and all matters relating to the changes) just proves it.

:cheers

The whole site looks REAL nice. Great facelift! I was here the moment it changed over! I was browsing a forum and then suddenly BAM! There it was!

Very cool and easy to navigate. Well done!
I agree, I may not like the name of the JY now, but I like the new looks and this is probably the best site facelift/upgrade in the history of them all, I know the 405th still hasn't recovered from there's as much as I would have liked. :thumbsup

+1 Thanks to Art and the rest of the team.

You probably don't hear it enough, but this really is one of the best moderated sites I have been to, and your openness in discussing the JY (and all matters relating to the changes) just proves it.

I agree, makes me want to make another thank you thread :)

It's a bit like seeing your favourite pub or restaurant rebranded...just wanted to delve a little depper into that change, that's all.
Al

I don't feel like "we got our way" so much as we helped save a beloved institution from the wrecking ball. Whoever upthread connoted it to the renaming of a favorite pub was spot on and I salute you (even though I don't scroll back to see who you were :)

I now demand JUNKYARD ICON T-SHIRTS! Who starts the petition? :)

The member was Al Elliott which referred the rpf to a favorite pub.

While the temptation to force EvilRocketeer to change his name to "Junkyard" is great... I think we will just circumvent that by stating the following.

:lol

Thank you Art, Michael and Montagar for this change. We all greatly appreciate it.

I'm surprised no-one stated the old saying, "one person's junk is another person's treasure'

Thank you!!
When I need a part I cant find anywhere else or need to unload something only select people would place value on; I can go to a Junkyard.
And now that the name has been restored I can also do that once again here on the RPF.

Thanks to all the staff for reexamining this issue.

Awesome, Art. Thank you so much, Montagar and Michael as well.
Now, back to my porch with the shotgun, waitin' for varmints to come onto my lawn! ;)

:cheers (Where everyone knows your name...) :cheers

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

I'm used to Marketplace already.

Me too. I oppose any change.

(No really, anything that even slightly smacks of the Prequels...ugh! Kill it with fire!) :p

Last edited:
Would not a junkyard by any other name still make me broke?

I'm amazed people care so much. If you want to buy something, you click on the "place where people sell stuff" link and you're good.

I don't put stock in sentimentality, so I have no attachment to the old ways. And yes, I DO like the Star Wars prequels. In fact, I haven't watched the OT in years but watched Attack of the Clones last week ;)

Anyway, there it is. Junkyard will be back by morning at the latest. :thumbsup

Well said in all the reasoning you made Art. I assure you nobody (I didn't anyway) saw that as giving in to pressure in the least.

IMO, the mods have merely shown, yet again, that any decision you take is in the site's best interest.

The name 'Junkyard' no more suggested the items therein were junk than the name 'Flea Market' suggests that fleas are for sale.

Exactly. I think of it as a sarcastic tone in the sense that (I hate to be cliche, but..) "One man's junk in another man's treasure."

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back