Kit of the USS Daedalus NCC-129?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine has none and it's been sitting lighted for weeks, No sags. Doug's has one and it's the same although Doug's has only the pole at the CG and the model has remained balanced. So far. ;) Also room has AC and is alway at about 72-76 degrees.

Steve

Spent a little time today dry fitting up the parts, also teaching one of the kids how the process works. He lays down a better primer coat thatn I do. So far, it's a great kit you've put together Steve.

The parts fit together really well. Minimal warp, and the flash cleans up real easy. No major pinholes or bubbles, basically run an exacto along panel lines and raised details and poof, all done.

Waiting for the lights and paint to show up before I go too much further. Not looking forward to the windows, reminds me of MBT floods Steve, and we all know how those go...

Chris

Thanks Chris I'm glad to here you having fun but the windows aren't as hard as that. If you screw up just fill them anyway with clear epoxy, sand flush, add the vinyl window masks over the epoxy and primer. They come out nice and crisp.

Steve

Update time. I have the basic body painting done. all that remains are the details and then the decals

then a nice base

Looking good, hopefully mine will turn out half as nice!

Forgive the n00b question, but what is the correct term for the rotating element in the collectors? I've heard fan, birdcage, etc. Trying to get a good image to see if it is doable, but my searches haven't been super-productive. I have plenty of little pager motors that may work.

Couple more hours in today, drilled all the windows and filed about half on the upper sphere. You are right Steve, not as bad as filing floods. I'm using a 1/8" square file. Drilled all the windows, then used the file as a broach, wiggling it back and forth like Aztec did to get close. You can really keep things square this way. Then when you get towards the end, push the file all the way through for the finish pass. All the wndows are the same size and pretty darn square to each other. A little sanding on the inside gets rid of the chads. This material is pretty forgiving.

I made one of these out of a hamster ball and a 144 Space Shuttle Kit. I should get some photos together and show mine some day. Funny, I thought I already said that. Must be Deja Vu....???

Stands and Stripes forever!

the latest update.. after a couple of attempts (and I think they may still be a bit thick) I put the stripes on the front ball.

Finishing and wiring the stand was the big fun. but now you can see the lights in action.

All that remains is the decals and attaching the bussard domes

Enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back