Kubrick's 2001 Monolith - Full-scale replica - Completed

I think I’d like one in polished granite.

It’d hold up better to New England winters.

This thing is so cool! Just “plain” cool! Even if you don’t know the reference, seeing THAT in someone’s back yard?!? Off the hook.

I’d be gazing lovingly at it whilst sipping my Luke-warm PBR, listening to 2112 (turned up to just past “piss off the neighbors” volume).

Yeah, it’s that cool

First of all - this is amazing! It looks so "out of place" just sitting there in the garden. Exactly like it should.
One question - Curious why you decided to deviate from the book and film's description of the monolith being 1x4x9 or the squares of 1, 2, and 3? Did Kubrick actually fluff this in the film? With an 8" width to maintain proper ratios it should have been 6 feet tall and 32" wide.

could you talk about how next time you would mount it to a support that is in the ground?
I need to know how you would deal next time what that issue with make it level?

First of all - this is amazing! It looks so "out of place" just sitting there in the garden. Exactly like it should.
One question - Curious why you decided to deviate from the book and film's description of the monolith being 1x4x9 or the squares of 1, 2, and 3? Did Kubrick actually fluff this in the film? With an 8" width to maintain proper ratios it should have been 6 feet tall and 32" wide.
I got the dimensions partly by measuring off of screenshots (the illumination tiles in the hotel floor are on a 3 foot grid) which gave me numbers plus or minus an inch. I also found a source on the RPF that claimed to find the dimension written as 8" x 84" x 129". 84 is clearly wrong -- the thing is nowhere near seven feet wide. However the digits 8 and 5 are easily mistaken for each other, and 8 x 54 x 129 totally fits, so that's what I went with.

Clarke invented the ratio of squares for the book

could you talk about how next time you would mount it to a support that is in the ground?
I need to know how you would deal next time what that issue with make it level?
The trick would be making sure that the posts can be pulled up when needed. Not sure how I would solve it, but the posts get hard to move during install and you need to have some leverage

there is something so awesomely strange about how it looks. Anyone can look at that and think of it being placed by something not human haha

in the photos of the construction of this Monolith prop design, I see that the first thing that was made were boxes to help support the thing.
Each of these boxes appears to be made out of a ripped down 2X4

They do not appear to be a full-size 2X4, but smaller.

anyone have an idea what the photo is showing there ?

Back in summer 2020, when it started to dawn on me that we were going to be in lockdown for an extended period, I decided I wanted to stretch myself and create something big. Something bigger than I would normally consider possible. This took four months to build and almost as long to find people to install it into my yard. A few days ago it was completed, and I'm very happy with the result. I hope you like it too.

View attachment 1465725
View attachment 1465726
View attachment 1465727

I've been fascinated with this object most of my life, and creating my own version has given me a special appreciation of how it can dominate a space and almost create its own reality. I know it barely compares in complexity to many of the prop builds showcased here, but it represented a whole set of unique challenges for me.

Build photos will follow later in this thread.
Action figure coming soon, with ZERO points of articulation.

My next question:

What did you do at the top to keep the water out?
and is this going to be ok sitting outside in the rains?
The problem I had with the structure (albeit very well built) is two folds:

I would clad the top with a sheet of Plexiglass, painted with the same automotive paint, to minimize the rain problem and accumulation of water on top.
Every end grain of every panels should be painted and protected throughout the build. Inside structure as well, especially in a humid or 4 season environment. The water runs down the structure and accumulate at its base...hence the paint and protection of end grain.

As for the 2X4...it seems that you can make those side boxes with a smaller size piece of wood. You could even use plywood, instead of solid wood, to do so. Ply will not warp as much as solid wood does. Glue and screw everything...it guarantees solid and lasting construction.

Edit: you could also use Marine Epoxy paint to protect the wood from the rain.

Last edited:
I have started to build my own Monolith based on this design......sorta based on it...
I should go start a new topic for it.

( see my attempt at 2001 Monolith build )

But I just wanted to thank the guy who build his Monolith and inspired me to give it a try!
434931062_2459447960913525_1801538400133986493_n.jpg

Last edited:
This looks awesome. But I would be spraying this with heavy coats of rubberized acrylic / compound / glue sealant. The temperature / humidity differences will play havoc summer winter and even from the ground to the top. This is bound to crack unless thoroughly sealed. Unless you are in an environment that doesn’t change temperature that much summer to winter.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back