Kyle Katarn - Jedi Outcast WIP

Calaeryn

Not the best pics (I suck with my camera)...anyway, been working on this project off and on for a couple years. Dont believe I've ever seen a machined version of this saber before. Took a pic of it with one of my other customs so you could get an idea of the length of the Katarn saber...its huge.

katarn_outcast_00.jpg

katarn_outcast_01.jpg

katarn_outcast_02.jpg

katarn_outcast_03.jpg

katarn_outcast_04.jpg

I never really liked this saber design (I like your custom design a lot more) but man that's a heck of a good job so far!

Keep it up.

:)

Thanks! :)

I have to admit, I'm not in love with the design. But I've always been interested in it for a couple reasons: 1) the sheer ridiculousness of it. 2) never seen many replicas of it. 3) I really enjoyed the game. and 4) I just wanted to see if I could do it.

Its pretty unwieldy...though it may be better balanced and a little more manageable with a wood or acrylic blade in it.

i love it so far, i have the other version and i (being named kyle) love this guy and his differant sabers ! good deal, let me know if you do a run and im interested in seeing the final saber!

Well, I'll be in the minority. I love this saber. Mostly because I love the game though.

This is by far the best version I've seen. I can't wait to see the finished saber.

Oh that's a beautiful piece!
I always love seeing props from this series... it always has seem under-appreciated to me. (I LOVED it!)

Thanks for the compliments! :)

I just have a small hobby lathe (a Sherline 4400) so I'm not really setup to do runs but I can always make more. I currently have the stock to make at least two more of these...and I can always get more stock.

Great work on the milling. I'm kinda like so many others, though...not a fan of the design. But I think you managed to make one great piece that matches pretty darned good to the pics from the game.

How many hours have you put into it so far? I have a little Sherline lathe as well and it takes forever to make parts!

How much are you taking off per pass?

What cutting tools are you using?

How many hours have you put into it so far? I have a little Sherline lathe as well and it takes forever to make parts!
Yeah, its not quick. I usually use 1.75" stock for "normal" sabers. I can put 15 hours into a custom saber easily. I don't know how much time I have into this Katarn saber (started with 2.25" stock). I've been working on it off and on for years and I can't remember...but I don't really want to think about it. :lol

How much are you taking off per pass?
I dunno...1/16" if I'm just carelessly cutting down a large section at high speed. But its not so bad since I usually cut in both directions. If I'm cutting something intricate like the grooved grip sections, I'm probably not even taking off 1/16". But I'll tell you...its more time consuming having to stop and measure all the time.

What cutting tools are you using?
I have carbide-tipped cutting tools from Harbor Freight I think...a set of 5 (different angles) was like $5. About time to get some more. :lol

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back