Honestly, the only representation that lightsaber made in the ST was not to honor the Skywalker legacy but the exact opposite. Let's see...

1. it calls out to Rey? huh?
2. she brings it to Luke who then throws it over his shoulder. huh?
3. Rey ignites it over Luke...yeah,ok...whatever Rey, you're so righteous.
4. Rey and Kylo fight over it and divide it(just like the fanbase) Great Job!!!
5. Kylo completely forgets it's broken as Luke force projects himself with it intact in his hand and apparently is too stupid to realize it.
6.Our beloved Hero Rey fixes it all by learning "Force Band-aid" to unite the two halves together again...sorry but the damage has been done and to top it all off...
7. She buries it along side a lightsaber that literally has no significance at all, in the sands of Tatooinne ( Thanks for completely solidifying the fact that they know absolutely zero about Star Wars)

So, here is what it literally did...went into the wrong hands, tossed over the shoulder by the rightful owner, back into the wrong hands, misused, broken, forgotten about, patched up superficially and finally, buried. (Holy Smokes...They prophesied of the whole ST's demise with that lightsaber...that was genius!)

The fact they didn't have a herd of Banthas line up and just excrete refuse all over it, is astonishing....lol
I think this completely validates the point that it never should have been brought up again...like Psab keel stated, it only made it less special.

Ok, i won't beat a dead horse but come on...ok, it's out of me,lol... don't take it personally Joek3rr
, i know we all have different ways of viewing things. Olive Branches..lol
Since I started out liking the films, I have a different perspective. But that's discussed at length already.

But yeah, the lightsaber calling to her... That's stupid. The Force calling her to the lightsaber, that makes more sense.

And when it comes to her burying the sabers. I flip flop. I mean I get it's supposed symbolize the Skywalker family being laid to rest with Shmi and all. But It would have better maybe if Rey had unearthed Shmi's headstone and then buried them. As a sort of reminder of 'hey Luke and Leia are being laid to rest with Grandma Skywalker.'

But at the same time. This Tatooine, which Anakin and Luke we're trying to get away from. And hated. But maybe they grew beyond that hate? I putting more thought into this than JJ did.

Since I started out liking the films, I have a different perspective. But that's discussed at length already.

But yeah, the lightsaber calling to her... That's stupid. The Force calling her to the lightsaber, that makes more sense.

And when it comes to her burying the sabers. I flip flop. I mean I get it's supposed symbolize the Skywalker family being laid to rest with Shmi and all. But It would have better maybe if Rey had unearthed Shmi's headstone and then buried them. As a sort of reminder of 'hey Luke and Leia are being laid to rest with Grandma Skywalker.'

But at the same time. This Tatooine, which Anakin and Luke we're trying to get away from. And hated. But maybe they grew beyond that hate? I putting more thought into this than JJ did.
You're a good dude...I appreciate the conversation. I don't comment much anymore but i thought Batguy bringing up Luke's fathers lightsaber was a good topic. Thanks for baiting me in to the ST discussion again...lol,jk

Umm...yes he does

I disagree. We see it break, when it cuts out both Rey and Kylo it’s unseen in the blinding light, I can quite easily believe he neither saw what we did, or (bit more of a stretch), getting knocked unconcious had an effect.

It’s not important, nor something i’ll argue about, just wanted to jump in and give my view on that point.

IMO the sabers have generally gained too much of a mythical aura as SW has gone on.
100% agree with this. They seem to have taken on a life of their own, rather than being an aspect of a character. Perhaps started with the daft Yoda vs Dooku saber fight in AoTC.

In the Ahsoka series I was intrigued when Ezra refused his old saber, but they didn’t seem to want to follow through with it and had him build a new one. Missed opportunity in my mind, to make a good point about how being a Jedi was more of your connection to the Force rather than how you swing a saber.

Something else I just thought of, when thinking of the myth of the lightsaber. In the context of the first film, "Father Skywalker's" lightsaber is totally like Excalibur. But the moment you find out that Vader and "Father Skywalker" are the same. And furthermore, when you find out that Obi-Wan just took the lightsaber. That mythic quality is gone in an instant.

The Force Awakens works within the context of the first film (and somewhat within the context of the Original Trilogy.) But doesn't work for a second with the context of the Prequels.

Just catching up on some stuff here, and I have to say taht I agree with the sort of "Uh....what?" aspects about Anakin/Luke's lightsabre, why it passes to Rey, and its symbolism in the sequel trilogy.

On initial watch of Ep. VII, I was fine with it. I mean, the whole thing was a retread in many ways, and an attempt to build connective tissue between the old stuff and this new setup. Having a lightsabre used by the two most powerful Jedi ever(?) have some kind of mystic Force connection to the new hero was...you know, fine, I guess for me. I wanted to see where it'd go.

When they split the sabre in half in TLJ, I was excited, as I was at the end of TLJ, because it felt like throwing down the gauntlet and really challenging the Star Wars franchise and fandom to break out of the "Let's just re-do the past" mold.

Aaaand then JJ did TROS and, well...yeah. An action and nostalgia rollercoaster with a lot of stuff that felt hastily thrown together, but good musical queues and performances to make you feel the feels when you're supposed to feel them, even if it's all legerdemain and unearned narratively. And that goes for the sabre, too, which is now somehow fixed?

I guess just file it in the "Somehow [an OT thing we thought was long gone] returned" bin.

beavis-do-amrca-stackhurley010-rtrned-meme02a.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still confused as to why Kylo would announce that the saber belonged to him. By all indications, he should have no idea what Luke/Anakin's saber looked like, or that it had returned.
And why have it be the saber that apparition Luke used during the fight with Kylo. If the idea was that it would be some sort of distraction, seeing Luke with the saber, I imagine the creepy uncle saber that Luke tried to kill him with would have been more effective.

I always wondered why Luke would go investigate a meteor that hit near him on Hoth.

A meteor? Really Luke? You kinda deserved the encounter with the Wampa.

I'm guessing that it was for the reason of what ended up happening. They were making sure they were meteorite impacts and not drop pods impacting. Han didn't seem concerned, which would imply the command wasn't ordering them to check them out. So maybe Luke was just curious because it was a new environment.

I'm guessing that it was for the reason of what ended up happening. They were making sure they were meteorite impacts and not drop pods impacting. Han didn't seem concerned, which would imply the command wasn't ordering them to check them out. So maybe Luke was just curious because it was a new environment.

According to Han, they were only looking for life readings and Luke knew it was a meteorite.

Not a big deal, but I always thought it was odd that in the SW universe, Luke would investigate something as common as a meteorite, especially when it was dangerously cold....and saying that, I would've stayed in the Wampas cave until someone came for me. Luke doesn't make the best decisions :)

(I think even JJ says something to this effect in the audio commentary.)
You know, I own the physical media copy of Ep. VII, and I absolutely never realized that it has a commentary track.

I'm not sure if listening to it would be insightful or enraging, nor whether it would confirm my existing opinions of JJ's storytelling acumen or undermine them.

You know, I own the physical media copy of Ep. VII, and I absolutely never realized that it has a commentary track.

I'm not sure if listening to it would be insightful or enraging, nor whether it would confirm my existing opinions of JJ's storytelling acumen or undermine them.
I think a lot of people weren't aware of the commentary track, because it didn't come out with the initial release. It was done later for the 3D Collector's Edition. (But if you own the films digitally they've all been "upgraded" to the latest versions.)

And yeah, it's interesting....

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back