Light table Nostromo

Ottostudios

Hello good,

I have been fascinated by this photo of the Nostromo (Extras alien anthology) bridge for a long time, the number of objects that were created to set a space environment is fantastic.

Do you want to play?

We can clearly identify a lunar map (Nostromo HQ?) and a Philips star map from 1960...

Let's talk about the instruments, I see a goniometer on top of a photo screen with two compasses and Weyland logos, does all this form some kind of space navigation instrument?... I'm seriously thinking about building it.

the middle heavens 60347844_10156327857605998_392009739644436480_o.jpg

Right! Time to get serious :D

Prop ID list / suggestions / notes
  • Balaji cigarette pack ... but what are the two cylinders on top?
Nav table items 01.jpg

• Possible - Silva Type 15T 'The Ranger' Compass, but there's a second item sitting over the top; a chart map glass of some sort, maybe?
Nav table items 02.jpg

• SRPI Morin Prismatic Hand Bearing Compass [NB: other similar products made by/labeled - Opticompas, West Products]
Nav table items 03.jpg

• Plastic circle protractor with scale arm; there's a few modern versions of things like this, but can't find anything with the red line
Nav table items 04.jpg

• Plastic draftsmen's straight rule with bevel edge. Chunky, maybe 5-6mm thick?
Nav table items 05.jpg

• Plastic square coordinates protractor ... with another orienteering compass sitting on top???
Nav table items 06.jpg

• Orange plastic handled scissors?
Nav table items 07.jpg

• Large plastic triangle set square?
Nav table items 08.jpg

Attachments

• Nav table items 06.jpg
    Nav table items 06.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Nav table items 05.jpg
    Nav table items 05.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Nav table items 04.jpg
    Nav table items 04.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Nav table items 03.jpg
    Nav table items 03.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Nav table items 02.jpg
    Nav table items 02.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Nav table items 01.jpg
    Nav table items 01.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Last thing from me for now, I've bought an original 1960's Philips' Chart of the Stars : Stars of the Middle Heavens (at least I think it is, could be the 80s reprint, but that's fine by me too), and plan to high-rez scan it, should some want a copy.

As for the moon map, to me, the Library of Congress' version is spot on. Original here - USAF Lunar Reference Mosaic 1966 Moon Map
My edited version (to match the light table) attached.

Not directly related, but some cool resources regardless - Actual Maps - 3-D Starmaps

Attachments

• EDIT_USAF Lunar Ref Mosaic.jpg
    EDIT_USAF Lunar Ref Mosaic.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
The objects on top of the cigarettes look like disposable lighters, facing opposite directions.
The ratio of metal to plastic makes me think they might be a mini Bic (07033245), but they could be full sized. I have no idea what the size of that pack is.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back