Suggestion Limiting the amount of quoted text from a previous post

DaddyfromNaboo

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I see a lot of posts where people quote another member. After scrolling down past half a screen full of quoted text I very often find just a simple remark like "Agreed." or whatever amounts to a quota of 99% quoted text and just 1% of a reaction to that previous post. Duh.
Annoying, especially on a mobile device. Even more annoying when the quote contains loads of images.

I have seen other forums show a warning before accepting a post, saying that i.e. 50% is quoted text and that this is not wanted etc.

Is there any chance that we can have something similar?

So I see a lot of posts where people quote another member. After scrolling down past half a screen full of quoted text I very often find just a simple remark like "Agreed." or whatever amounts to a quota of 99% quoted text and just 1% of a reaction to that previous post. Duh.
Annoying, especially on a mobile device. Even more annoying when the quote contains loads of images.

I have seen other forums show a warning before accepting a post, saying that i.e. 50% is quoted text and that this is not wanted etc.

Is there any chance that we can have something similar?

Agreed.

annoying if the quote is SUPER long... (I mean you have to expect some 'lengthly'ness' being on a mobile device on a forum though)....

but I also find it puts the 'comment' (however small) into context. People would be complaining if a comment was floating without any context of what it was referring too though as well..

That being said I havent seen the feature you described before.. where have you run into it? Other forums? (which?)

but I also find it puts the 'comment' (however small) into context. People would be complaining if a comment was floating without any context of what it was referring too though as well..

All quotes have links to the original post at the top, next to the user name of its respective author.

Philly´s onto something, I´d say.

We were talking about a comment WITHOUT a quote (out of context, and hence no link, because.... well no quote)

with quote (link) = comment in context

without quote (no link) = comment out of context

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back