Question Links going dead, photos not working....

The14thDr

Sr Member
This is something I have been noticing more and more frequently, particularly when scrolling through old threads (I say old, but sometimes even posts less than a year old have been affected): images disappearing, broken attachment links, etc. etc. For a forum based around discussing movie and TV props, dissecting how they were made and building our own replicas; this is a pretty big issue. Threads that were once filled with valuable research have been stripped of all their worth.

Okay, so I understand that some members may have willingly pulled links or removed their images for one reason or another but only accounts for a portion of the missing images I've come across. Another reason stems from image-hosting sites themselves are continually changing the way their URLs and embed code works which means images from before the changes no longer work. They also increase their prices or else begin to charge users to host images (if they didn't already) and when people stop paying these prices, their images stop working. Even when not displaying the broken image symbol, a lot of posts instead have hyperlinks such as "Attachment XYZ" that just take you to another page on the forum, only to be told "invalid attachment specified".

All of this begs the question: why not just post photos directly onto the forum itself? A lot of other forums do it all the time and it means that images are not lost even after 5, 10 or 20 years. Surely there's got to be a solution to this? I remember reading about something being put in place to solve the issue, but that was late last year and since then things seem to be getting worse and worse.

Last edited:
Not old posts... but current posts too.

You'll see attachment link... but when you click it... its a dead/broken link.

Even in PM's.. when they are new/current images trying to be shared.

I always load my pictures directly into my threads and I noticed my older threads all the pictures are gone. Did I do something wrong? Is there a maximum number of pictures I can have and the older ones drop off as I add new ones?

I always load my pictures directly into my threads and I noticed my older threads all the pictures are gone. Did I do something wrong? Is there a maximum number of pictures I can have and the older ones drop off as I add new ones?
We did loose some images during a platform move but I believe that was before you join date. Please post a link to one of your posts that no longer has the images.

BUMP.

So is there any forthcoming solution to this issue? I see one of the mods has moved this into the correct section (thanks, by the way! I never noticed this section before now) and yet there has been no "official" response from the people behind-the-scenes. It's just so frustrating to see threads filled with nothing but broken image links - after all, what's the use in a reference or build post without any photos?

Did you do what was asked of you?

Some things take them time to sort out

BUMP.

So is there any forthcoming solution to this issue? I see one of the mods has moved this into the correct section (thanks, by the way! I never noticed this section before now) and yet there has been no "official" response from the people behind-the-scenes. It's just so frustrating to see threads filled with nothing but broken image links - after all, what's the use in a reference or build post without any photos?

Umm you sure have.

Montager asked you to post a link to one of your posts that no longer has the images.

It would help them help you if you actually read their reply’s instead of wondering why there has been no official response when in fact there has and they asked you to do something. :rolleyes

I haven’t been asked to do anything?

To try and help the 14thdoctor out....

drax-1.jpg

Seems to work here.. but there were/are many threads and even in PM's where you just see 'attachment' link.. and it goes nowhere.

I cant find a current thread right now..

but here was a link posted to me in PM's:

https://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=828694

Which results in: "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

All of them had been behaving the same way.

Umm you sure have.

Montager asked you to post a link to one of your posts that no longer has the images.

It would help them help you if you actually read their reply’s instead of wondering why there has been no official response when in fact there has and they asked you to do something. :rolleyes
Considering Montagar quoted someone else’s post when they asked for screenshots, forgive me for not immediately jumping to the conclusion that it was I who was being spoken to.
xl97: thanks for helping me out there. Another great example of a thread with missing images (this time just empty white boxes were the images should be) is the Show your Iron Man suits thread: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=156463

EDIT: This thread is probably the worst I’ve seen in terms of broken image links - https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=135243
Which is a shame, because it would be absolutely brilliant if not for every single image having disappeared.

Last edited by a moderator:
You”re forgiven, try to keep up and stay on target!

Considering Montagar quoted someone else’s post when they asked for screenshots, forgive me for not immediately jumping to the conclusion that it was I who was being spoken to.
@xl97: thanks for helping me out there. Another great example of a thread with missing images (this time just empty white boxes were the images should be) is the Show your Iron Man suits thread: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=156463

EDIT: This thread is probably the worst I’ve seen in terms of broken image links - https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=135243
Which is a shame, because it would be absolutely brilliant if not for every single image having disappeared.

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured that the best thing to do would be to just keep on bumping this thread with more posts containing broken links. If we have more evidence then there’s more chance of us being able to find a solution, right?
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=149877

EDIT: another thread here. This time the images just seem to have disappeared altogether; no broken links or missing image symbols - just people talking about photos and there not actually being any there:
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=145734

Last edited:
The example that you reference above is a situation that happens from time to time where the images are not uploaded to the server properly and need to be uploaded again. Since the images show up correctly for the OP while they are creating the post, they will only notice the problem once the post has been finished and they comeback to view the post after. This issue will be resolved when we move to the new software platform.

If the post is from 2012, we did have an issue where some images were lost during a server maintenance issue.

All other cases are a result of images being removed or the off-site link is not longer valid (a broken image link symbol does not always show).

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back