LOKI - Mobius Tie Repro

dreadnought

Hey Guys,
I'm loving the overall production design of the new Loki series and it's great to see people are already working hard at repro'ing different parts ;)
For some reason, I'm really hooked on Owen Wilson's character, Mobius M. Mobius' suit. The 'reverse' lapel is a stroke of genius, but right now I am trying to reproduce the tie. I've produced ties before, and if successful I might make a little limited run.

I can see the poster show the tie fairly hi-res - but does anybody else have some good images?
Thanks! D.

Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 01.39.11.png

i would be interested in this tie and also the one that loki wears. Do you know if that's off the shelf or a custom tie?

Ninja - I could imagine they produced a run to be used on the series and on in the Disney theme parks. :) - I'm working on it was we speak. Once I'm sone I'll post it and see if someone wants to join in on a production run.

Were the strange collared dress shirts used in the show custom made for just the show, or are they an actual style of shirt that can be found?

Were the strange collared dress shirts used in the show custom made for just the show, or are they an actual style of shirt that can be found?
I could not imagine them to be a real-world thing. I think they were designed/made for the series to evoke the retro-futuristic look the whole TVA is designed after. I am currently trying to make a prototype. these are the patters I have (so far) come up with:

Loki_shirt_mockup-01.png

How life goes sometimes... I never could finish this project, but now I have time so I thought why not?

I have worked off the posters and screenshots from the series to get as close as possible to Mobius tie and I think I am ready to run a small batch production. But I'd love to hear your guy's opinion. Did you think I managed to measure and reproduce it as faithfully as possible?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 22.19.52.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 22.19.52.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 142
  • Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 20.45.33.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 20.45.33.png
    237 KB · Views: 78
How life goes sometimes... I never could finish this project, but now I have time so I thought why not?

I have worked off the posters and screenshots from the series to get as close as possible to Mobius tie and I think I am ready to run a small batch production. But I'd love to hear your guy's opinion. Did you think I managed to measure and reproduce it as faithfully as possible?
I was planning on doing a Mobius costume myself recently (switched it to Loki as it was a bit easier/cheaper to replicate) so I did some research into the costume myself.
Your tie looks great, my only suggestion is on the color. The way the show is color graded, the tie looks more brown than it is in real life. Some set pics I've found make it look more greenish in natural daylight:

1000004560.jpg

It's always hard to figure out the "real" color of something from photos. The lighting, the camera settings, and the display you view the photos on all can change the appearance of color. And the Loki episodes have a very dim, yellow tinted appearance, so I guess you just have to decide if you want to emulate the look of the tie as it appears onscreen or as it is under normal lighting.
For my Loki costume, I opted for making it look more like the color of the show, and I picked a light gray shirt to alter into the TVA dress shirt, which also meant I had to dye the gray tie I found a shade darker so it would match better.
Here's my Loki shirt and tie, you can see it looks similar to onscreen, but darker than what the costume looks like in natural light (and, as you can see, the Loki season 2 tie was way easier to recreate than Mobius's!):
1000004561.jpg

1000004563.jpg

1000004351.jpg

Edit: added Loki screencap pic

Last edited:
First-off: Great costume Bloop! I've never dared meddle with shirt-tailoring (due to bad experiences with an Indy shirt), so I am ever so impressed by your TVA dress shirt Amazing job!

You are definitely right about the colour-grading! I was thinking the same when I was researching the shirt, as I was convinced that they were light blue, but having looked at quite a few images and re-watched the series twice I'm in doubt

But I think I might go with the real-colour, not the graded one. I already had a bunch of bts images and took a few more from some making-of clips. Let's see how it turns out.

Hmmm - struggling to get the colour right. I am going for an "ancient gold" - It looks so light in the behind-the-scenes clips, but so dark in the series. Hmmm...
Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 19.06.16.png

Another way to determine the colour could be by seeing the costumes displayed somewhere. I know at SDCC there were a few season 2 costumes displayed (I don't think Mobius was amongst them) but I found an Instagram profile that has posted a very intriguing display. I just haven't quite found out where it is.

P.S: I did find a display from season 1 which had all the right costumes but strangely, Mobius tie was completely different. Maybe a pre-production prototype...
Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 19.19.13.png

Owen Wilson Loki Mobius suit.jpeg

Hmmm - struggling to get the colour right. I am going for an "ancient gold" - It looks so light in the behind-the-scenes clips, but so dark in the series. Hmmm...
View attachment 1759286
I'd go with something in-between. The pic on the left looks overly-brightened to me, while the larger pic on the right looks too dark. Note Wilson's face and hair color don't match. The left pic has the brightness level set too high (note the black levels) while the right image looks like the highlights and lowlights are lost due to compression - you mentioned it's from a clip, so that makes sense. Streaming video especially is often compressed badly so that everything looks "flat," lacking contrast.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back