Looking for paint advice: replicating steel?

MooMooEgg

Sr Member
I just bought a resin Legend of Zelda Master Sword and I was wondering if anyone knows of any good paints that will look moderately like steel. I've wanted a really good version of the sword for a while, so I want to do a really good job on this build.

any advice would be great :)

Check the Testors site they produce a range of rattle can paints called "metalizer". I think they have a steel finish. What you do is spray on and let it dry then you can buff it up to the desired finish. When you're happy with the finish you can apply the sealer. BEWARE I've noticed the sealer can dull the finish down a bit.

http://www.testors.com/category/145620/Metalizer_Enamel_Paint

hope this helps,
Malc.

Forgot to mention.
Surface prep is essential for these paints, even finger oil can mar the adhesion and finish.

Last edited:
Thanks Malc. It looks like the steel is non-buff. does that mean I'm not supposed to buff it at all? I'm probably not going to bother with sealant.

I'm probably going to be doing some filling and a lot of sanding. so you're saying I should wash the piece after it's all primed before applying any paint, especially if I'm using the testors?

The model is a 1/72 shuttlepod from Enterprise painted in the aluminum non buff with a single clear coat over the top for a colour wash then the decals. From what I can remember the steel non buff looks great as is, although I have lightly buffed it to give a burnished finish.

Once it's filled, sanded and primed use some latex gloves when you handle it. I've found the Testors lays down very thin even for a spray can that's why fingerprints will mar the finish. Also you don't really have to use any sealer, but bear in mind the top coat will protect the under lying paint from wear and tear. One more thing. The paint might feel touch dry in a few hours but isn't fully cured until about 48 hours have passed. Don't touch it too soon, I did on the shuttlepod and screwed it up......hello Simple Green:unsure

Shuttlepod.JPG

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back