Limited Run LOTR Bilbo's Mithril Shirt

Thank you for the feed back! Update with more images soon.

To make sure I don't miss anyone since this will be a limited run, you can add your interest to the list on our website here.

Getting close!

We have the chainmail and still tweaking the collar. Here are a couple images to get an idea on the size and how the collar looks with the shirt.
gUTM3G7.jpg

And a close up of the collar without the mail.
7LETprR.jpg

Note there are no gems attached. We have guessed there are around 400 gems to attach, which has given us the idea that we could offer this whole item as a DIY to lower the time cost and make for a cool project.

You would get the shirt, the collar unattached and the gems. (price would be slightly less than I have first stated and a fully complete version is yet to be priced but would be roughly $200 more.)

We would like to know your thoughts on this?

Getting close!

We have the chainmail and still tweaking the collar. Here are a couple images to get an idea on the size and how the collar looks with the shirt.
View attachment 1741164
And a close up of the collar without the mail.
View attachment 1741165

Note there are no gems attached. We have guessed there are around 400 gems to attach, which has given us the idea that we could offer this whole item as a DIY to lower the time cost and make for a cool project.

You would get the shirt, the collar unattached and the gems. (price would be slightly less than I have first stated and a fully complete version is yet to be priced but would be roughly $200 more.)

We would like to know your thoughts on this?
Looking great. Please do the run!

Prototype is now complete!
3xPimEHL.jpg
3xPimEHl.jpg

6g9FUBQL.jpg
6g9FUBQl.jpg

gg5nfqML.jpg
shpgdpUl.jpg

gg5nfqMl.jpg

Added so gems to give an idea of the final look.

Question about collar backing.

We have added a cotton backing which to us makes it feel more "real world" if that makes sense. We would like to know what material you think would be appropriate?

Here is one of the only shots you get to see what is behind the collar:
Kn1SSB1L.jpg
Kn1SSB1l.jpg

Also you will notice we sewed the backing over the chain mail where as the original is sewn on top.

Would love to know your thoughts so far!

It's looking very good. As for the collar I would say more of a shiny sliver satin type vs the natural linen.

I'm also curious if the collar could be left unattached and separate? At least for myself I'd like to paint the chainmail a lighter silver to match the collar.

The.Lord.of.the.Rings.The.Fellowship.of.the.Ring.2001.2160p.UHD.BluRay.H265-BOREDOR.mkv_snapsh...pngThe.Lord.of.the.Rings.The.Fellowship.of.the.Ring.2001.2160p.UHD.BluRay.H265-BOREDOR.mkv_snapsh...png

The.Lord.of.the.Rings.The.Return.of.the.King.2003.2160p.UHD.BluRay.H265-BOREDOR.mkv_snapshot_0...pngThe.Lord.of.the.Rings.The.Return.of.the.King.2003.2160p.UHD.BluRay.H265-BOREDOR.mkv_snapshot_0...png

I'm also curious if the collar could be left unattached and separate? At least for myself I'd like to paint the chainmail a lighter silver to match the collar.

View attachment 1747158View attachment 1747157

View attachment 1747159View attachment 1747160

I feel the same way about the color. I wonder if aluminum rather than steel would be a better option? I imagine it'd be less expensive. And in addition, it'd be a lighter color, and it'd weigh less, which would make it more lore-accurate as well.

Alternatively, I have an electroplating machine, and I plan to plate mine in sterling silver. If it works well, I'd be happy to offer this service for others.

Last edited:
I feel the same way about the color. I wonder if aluminum rather than steel would be a better option? I imagine it'd be less expensive. And in addition, it'd be a lighter color, and it'd weigh less, which would make it more lore-accurate as well.

Alternatively, I have an electroplating machine, and I plan to plate mine in sterling silver. If it works well, I'd be happy to offer this service for others.
Wouldn't electroplating the mail fuse the links together?

We did look around for a aluminum option but couldn't find one. Also the quality is not great, we have worked with aluminum chainmail before and the links just keep coming apart.
Personally the stainless steel (although not lore-accurate due to weight 1.3kg 2.9 pounds) feels strong and has a nice shine which I quite like.
Apparently on the original they used a pearlescent spray to lighten the shirt. I am going to do a few tests on the prototype and let you know.

No. The layer of metal added by electroplating is so thin that it couldn't fuse anything in normal situations. It would take a very long time to achieve that effect. Also, unlike paint, electroplating cannot fill empty space; and so it cannot build up in the gaps/recesses between the links. So as long as you keep the pieces moving, there's never enough of a chance for two pieces to adhere.

The major issue is that the plating process won't coat the points where the pieces meet. But that's easily fixed in the same way - by constantly moving the pieces around. I've plated chain necklaces before without any issues. When you're electroplating, the amount of metal added is determined by two factors: the amount of electricity added to the liquid, and the time spent in the liquid. So for something like this, you just need to turn the electricity down lower than usual to slow the process, and then keep moving the chains in the liquid so that every spot gets a chance to get coated and nothing gets fused.

But a full shirt would be more difficult. Partly because so much of the metal would be touching the bottom of the basin. And also because an item that large would seep the silver out of the solution almost immediately. One would need to replace the solution several times. But there are two ways around this:
  1. Instead of dipping the piece in an electric bath, I could "paint" the metal on with an electrified wand which has a cotton tip soaked in solution. It'd take several hours, but it would definitely work.
  2. It might be easier to dip the shirt in pieces. First the sleeves, then the edges, and so on.
In short, it would definitely be possible. But it'd be challenging, and I definitely won't be using my mithril shirt as a test subject. I plan to try it out on some scrap pieces first.

Of course, if the pearlescent spray looks good, that might be a simpler solution for everyone! It sounds like it'd be even more screen-accurate. And unlike silver, it won't tarnish over time.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back