Luke V2 Throne Room Paint Reference Thread

Found some more screen grabs from YouTube. Anyone have them in higher definition? View attachment 1811071
View attachment 1811073
View attachment 1811074
View attachment 1811075
1713552807519.png
1713552835753.png
1713552868141.png
1713552874629.png

Could anyone grab a pic of this in 4k? View attachment 1811454
1713552908767.png
1713552921172.png
1713552928158.png

Awesome! Comparing the hand off from Vader to Palpatine we can see how much paint is left by the cone knob which is good.

Awesome project Kevin! I started making up some stencils for a production version at one stage but never had the chance to finish them. To fill in the blanks, I took the current day references and used "Minimum" filter in PS (Or is it "Maximum"?!?) to expand the remaining paint to match the available production references. Just an idea for any missing references. (y) The clamp and pommel certainly do move around all over the place like you say. So it's really a case of personal preference, and which scene you're wanting to replicate. They're different again here:

ENDOR V2.jpg

Not a great reference for the paint, but shows how the clamp and pommel are at completely different orientations throughout production.

Oh, and last time I checked (admittedly a while ago) Firefox browser still worked for screenshots.
(y)

Pinning down a production V2 is certainly challenging, but everyone has been so helpful! Could not have started this on my own!

Awesome project Kevin! I started making up some stencils for a production version at one stage but never had the chance to finish them. To fill in the blanks, I took the current day references and used "Minimum" filter in PS (Or is it "Maximum"?!?) to expand the remaining paint to match the available production references. Just an idea for any missing references. (y) The clamp and pommel certainly do move around all over the place like you say. So it's really a case of personal preference, and which scene you're wanting to replicate. They're different again here:

View attachment 1811526

Not a great reference for the paint, but shows how the clamp and pommel are at completely different orientations throughout production.

Oh, and last time I checked (admittedly a while ago) Firefox browser still worked for screenshots.
(y)

From a practicality/comfort standpoint, having the d-ring positioned 180 degrees away from the clamp (as in the Ewok Village photo) makes the most sense. This is is also how the Graflex sabers were oriented, so that the clamp box wouldn’t dig into Hamill’s leg.

The wonky alignment of the V1’s ring doesn’t work so well, to say nothing of the use of a tri-ring instead of a d-ring.

And, loathe as I am to praise anything from THE LAST STRAW, at least that version of the prop has the tri-ring clocked at 90 degrees from the control box.

Just because of the suggestion on the last page, wanted to reiterate our best info suggests the body of the V2 is all one piece, especially the booster and clamp area. There is a chamber bored out for the DC motor behind the clamp, and space for the driveshaft running up the neck. This is how it's held together today, with the separate emitter, that wasn't designed to spin. It did not spin in ANH on screen, just the blade and whatever fitting they made. It does today because the separate emitter is held to a round steel shaft, and we don't know how or when the emitter setup changed.

Just because of the suggestion on the last page, wanted to reiterate our best info suggests the body of the V2 is all one piece, especially the booster and clamp area. There is a chamber bored out for the DC motor behind the clamp, and space for the driveshaft running up the neck. This is how it's held together today, with the separate emitter, that wasn't designed to spin. It did not spin in ANH on screen, just the blade and whatever fitting they made. It does today because the separate emitter is held to a round steel shaft, and we don't know how or when the emitter setup changed.

Oh, yes, I keep forgetting that. It’s the CLAMP that’s changing position.

Any suggestions to improve the way I have it organized at the moment are appreciated. I'll work towards figuring out the orientation of all the pictures soon. It's hard to tell what is where in relation to the cone knob.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back