Measurements of ST:III (3) Communicator Grill (Lid)?

FLM Concepts

My other thread doesn't seem to be getting many views, so I'm making a separate thread to ask these details of the screen-used (or RAC) prop.

Does anyone have measurements of the grill (lid) for the Star Trek III: The Search for Spock communicator grill?

I'm looking for overall width of grill on the communicator, length of the face of the grill itself, overall length of the three-piece grill, width of slats (and gaps), and the depth of the grill from the underside of the thin end to the face of the grill when closed, and the thickness of the brass. I'm looking for dimensions in inches taken with a dial or digital caliper, if possible.

That way I can adjust my model (and therefore, final prop) to accommodate the proper grill size.

Thanks!

He has not been active for a while but neilo1 once offered very nice drawings with measurements. You may want to PM him and see if he still has the file.

-John

Thanks, John! I've taken a chance that he'll respond and PMd him.

I saw that you had a picture that you took of a comm lid based on his drawings on top of the prints. I'm sure you don't want to share the prints themselves without permission, but would you be willing to share the dimensions from the prints?

My brass arrives tomorrow, and I'd really like to be able to get a good, accurate grill made this weekend. :)

Taking one dimension that I can see from your image, I see I'm 99.9% there.

Okay, how's this...would anyone mind taking a caliper reading off of the width of their RAC comm grill? I have a key measurement that will give me the length.

I know there are plenty of people around with these comms. Just one measurement. ;)

My brass comes today.

And just in case it matters, I'm a Premium Member and have been for months. I'd just chosen not to publicly display that until today (it's not updated yet).

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back