Announcement More minor changes.

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
As we continue to prepare for our upgrade you will notice more minor changes in settings.

Tonight we updated the way our timestamps work as well as modified a number of small text settings... most of which you probably won't notice.

As we continue to prepare for our upgrade you will notice more minor changes in settings.

Tonight we updated the way our timestamps work as well as modified a number of small text settings... most of which you probably won't notice.

I liked the original timestamps. But i guess i will learn to love this one.

We may ultimately move to a bit of a hybrid on this, but at least for many sites, this type of timestamping has become the standard as it provides a greater sense of immediacy in what is posted and helps members more readily judge time and the aging of a thread.

It has also been suggested by some that this type of timestamping creates a greater sense of urgency and results in more responses... we will see on whether that theory has any teeth or not.

Ha, hokey, got eet :lol

Stuff just changed to "One minute ago" :thumbsup

So something I posted last year will read "Posted 344 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, 32 seconds ago" :lol

OK, I'll shut up now :behave

Just noticed that.

Good thing the months have now been put by name.

The inverted number system used in the US has had my dyslexic European brain confused for years - "Is '3' March or the 3rd ? " "Ah no, there is no 14th month" etc :lol

I generally dislike the vague timestamps, and I prefer it to revert to a date after more than an hour or two, but within threads, I think I actually like it much more this way.

So yeah, I'll deal with it, then forget it was even an issue in a couple of days. :lol

Just noticed that.

The inverted number system used in the US has had my dyslexic European brain confused for years - "Is '3' March or the 3rd ? " "Ah no, there is no 14th month" etc :lol

Oh yeah, that I like, also being from a non-US country.

Just noticed that.

Believe it or not, this is the exact reason we changed the months from numbers to names.

Art Andrews said:
We may ultimately move to a bit of a hybrid on this, but at least for many sites, this type of timestamping has become the standard as it provides a greater sense of immediacy in what is posted and helps members more readily judge time and the aging of a thread.
But its stupid Art!!

"12 hours ago" doesnt tell you what time it was posted! (W/o having to think of WHEN 12 HRS AGO was)

A couple sites im on have done that and its quite aggravating!

But its stupid Art!!

"12 hours ago" doesnt tell you what time it was posted! (W/o having to think of WHEN 12 HRS AGO was)

A couple sites im on have done that and its quite aggravating!

What's worse are the ones where you're trying to figure out when you posted it, and all you see is "1 month ago."

That tells me absolutely nothing other than a vague idea of when I posted it, which I likely already knew.

I don't like it :darnkids

It's all vague and menacing, like the dark outside, or my girlfriend when I ask for a sandwich.

Chris

I understand the need to list the month(s) by name, but I'm not overly impressed with the "6 hours ago" thing. As others have stated, I'll get used to it, but I prefer the previous timestamp.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back