MR discussions...

SD Studios

Hey, very interesting discussions about MR going on in these threads! I just gotta jump in here. A few thoughts:

1) A signed petition to support MR with the Star Wars license, while very-well-meaning, is essentially useless. The disparity between Lucasfilm and MR is both politically and financially driven, with a number of other company’s agendas deeply involved in the mix as well. Lucasfilm is already well underway with discussions for a new licensee(s). Even a few thousand fans signing a document will not change the logistics of the situation one iota.

2) MR was never created to “flood the market with mass-produced crap from China” (my paraphrasing). At least (my) intent in starting the company was to be able to produce wonderful products that we wanted to own, with direct access to the originals, using manufacturing techniques that were not available to us fans as "garage manufacturers". Eg; the grips on the Dooku saber took some crazy tooling that nobody else could replicate at home. The same goes for the co-molding techniques that we utilized on several other sabers…like the Anakin Ep 2. I was tired of trying to bend rubber strip over a metal tube, stuck on with carpet tape.
I wanted more. :)

3) Manufacturing in China ain’t hardly done for “a bowl of rice a day”. MR (and Sideshow, QMx, et al) are using the best factories in China. These factories KNOW they are the best and charge an arm and a leg for it. I know that the price of the minis well-over-doubled while I was there, but MR never raised the price. The full size sabers costs also soared over the last five years. The markups on these items are NOT what most people here think. Add marketing costs, overhead, shipping, fulfillment, royalties, salaries, taxes, port fees, storage, rent, etc etc, and you have to realize that prop replica companies don’t make the net margains of many other companies. If you saw what the markup on jewelry and watches was, you would faint.

4) While some replicas, like the Obi Ep 4, were not absolutely correct (due a lack of viable reference) we never put out anything that didn’t have “soul”. We really sweated the details and I remember many times where I would be sitting at dinner with someone arguing about which angle of the taper on a tiny screw we should go with, because Lucas had four different versions of the original prop and they were all different. This was NOT GM making lightsticks. Everyone that I worked with at MR really cared about this stuff. I remember many times seeing Amy crying because she couldn’t come to an agreement with a dissatisfied customer. If you want to call that “soulless”, then you don’t really understand what is happening there.

5) Lucasfilm NEVER asked us to make a product “10% inaccurate” because it was too close to the original. (That one keeps popping up and just cracks me up). If anything, they told me that they held us to a “higher standard” and mercilessly busted our chops to make things better and more accurate. We were all on the same page that the products needed to be the best they could be. The problem is…what is “accurate”? There are four models at the archive…each representing ONE prop on-screen…and they vary wildly in dimensions, finish and details. What do you do?

6) Now as a “civilian”, I can say that it is very disheartening to read numerous people bagging on your company and products on and on and on. The comments that the Luke proto getting stolen were MR’s fault and that it was a marketing stunt are just foolish. MR ATE MY DOG! BOO! Joe says that if you make it THIS way, you suck…Bob says if you make it THAT way, you suck…you can’t win. “I have a grainy still here that clearly shows that your direct access to the original prop is WRONG!” Everyone can do your job better than you and will tell you that every day. You just have to do the best you can and try to make most of the customers happy. Based on talking to literally thousands of fans, I know that MR has done that, so… mission accomplished.

There ya go…

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to admit i wont argue with any of that except one thing

There are four models at the archive…each representing ONE prop on-screen…and they vary wildly in dimensions, finish and details. What do you do?

Choose one of the four not almagamate all four would be my choice but like you say it's personal choice others might and do like an idealised version incorporating all four.

Commendable statement.

I agree about the license, most know it's financial, probably on behalf of LFL being unreasonable. So the majority do understand.

You bring up the most interesting point IMO about LFL never asking anything to be "inaccurate".

MR has done a fine job, granted. Some great pieces. However this forum amongst others have members that have studied certain props for years with great passion and enthusiasum, not to say MR or Sideshow have not but we can spot an inaccuracy a mile away dependant on the area of so called expertise.

Most people in Business fail to live up to expectations in the Prop industry with fans where as MR and Sideshow to an extent have been very successful. As a very random guess for every 10,000 SW fans maybe only 1% would be so called experts in the field of props , maybe not even that:unsure but They would be the one's to give that critique that may not be favourable.

I continue to buy MR, Sideshow etc..I can pick flaws in most things but I still like them, as a fanatical fan I do want to see every bump and inperfection if the original has it. It may be anal to some but hey...I think all the big companies and independent vendors whether it's MR, Sideshow, Hasbro etc..have their market for a huge percentage of the fans and fulfill their needs but as I said, failure is enevitable to live up to high expectations at times around here because even when something does look like an original it is disected and scruitanised and argued over.:thumbsup

Steve, question for you.

In your professional opinion, do you think if there is enough support, MR would try to push some products into production that are kind of "on the cutting board"? Specifically, Im thinking of the mini TIE Helmet that looks like it wont make it. Let's say these hundreds of fans were instead showing their support for a product like this than signing petitions to get MR and LFL back together. Realistic, or should I just close the books on ever getting that darn mini?

Ill be sad to see MR no longer make SW stuff, but am anxious to see where else they go. I love the direction the Muppets are going, and if I can get the money together, Ill probably get more POTC swag too. Im anxious to see what new licensee(s) pick up Star Wars props, minis, FXs if any, etc.

MR has done a fine job, granted. Some great pieces. However this forum amongst others have members that have studied certain props for years with great passion and enthusiasum, not to say MR or Sideshow have not but we can spot an inaccuracy a mile away dependant on the area of so called expertise.

But I personally think that most people forget that MR has been looking at the props as they exist today..Some of these have been in storage or passed around from place to place for 30 years (in the case of origional trilogy SW Props) and may have changed somewhat in appearance due to extra wear and or repair over that time period. So without going back in time They cannot/could not make props as "accurate" as some might like because the apearance of the prop may be subtly different from when it was last on screen. And this on top of the problem of multiple copies of essentially the same prop for stunt/hero appearance.
So what some people how ever studios they may be, see as innacuracies could be merely details as they "now" appear on a prop.

As an ardent MR supporter, I'm glad to see this statement. It amazes me how bitter and generally mean some fans are. I've seen people comparing Lucas to Hitler over not releasing the OT on DVD, all kinds of crap.

For people who go gaga over toys related to a feel-good movie, fans can get reallllly negative. Maybe it's the flip side of childlike: childish.

Thanks for the years of killer big-boy toys--sorry as hell to see you go!

Damn well said Steve! I might not have liked some decisions (the whole CE line, variations on variations, etc.) but the overall work and soul were there and knowing as many of those people as I do I knew what was put into those pieces and to balance that hard to reach spot between "screen look", "what a non-hardcore propper would afford", etc. and I think MR did a heck of a job.

Here's hoping the new license can learn from the mistakes and improve on what was without doubt the most successful prop production ever.

But I personally think that most people forget that MR has been looking at the props as they exist today..Some of these have been in storage or passed around from place to place for 30 years (in the case of origional trilogy SW Props) and may have changed somewhat in appearance due to extra wear and or repair over that time period. So without going back in time They cannot/could not make props as "accurate" as some might like because the apearance of the prop may be subtly different from when it was last on screen. And this on top of the problem of multiple copies of essentially the same prop for stunt/hero appearance.
So what some people how ever studios they may be, see as innacuracies could be merely details as they "now" appear on a prop.

I know what you mean, and yes they change to a minimal extent dependant on what they are made of. The props for example such as Vader helmets can vary from one to the other even from the same movie but the essential details remain the same.
The MR Falcon for example is amongst my favorite, amazing piece, but some people will paint their's up to match the original. It's personal preference at the end of the day. As I said overall many fans will feel very disappointed for MR.

I was wondering when you were going to chime in and I am surprised it took you this long Steve! :lol

Well said and thanks for all the cool toys! :)

I absolutely agree that the props MR has produced have completely been to a higher standard. I still love my OB1 Ep.IV and Training remote as they most definitely have soul. Speaking for myself who loves to both build and buy props, I can only hope that the next licensee keeps the torch lit for high end props of uber accuracy just as MR did.

Steve

My issue with MR products, beyond the sabers which were well done overall, has been the QC. I've had people not into the dark and dirty of the hobby, via websites like this, ask me about MR products. I've had to say the same thing I sad before...great sabers, but the quality control on the other products has been sorely lacking.

As far as pricing, these are toys for big boys and girls, so we shoudl expect to pay a higher dollar amount, but when my dollar got me a hasbro sized Anakin AotC FX saber, I was gun shy about giving another dollar. Now, as I said before, your FX line improved by leaps and bounds as it progressed, but once bitten twice shy they say.

I loved the helmet prototypes we were privvy to, but boy, judging by the quality of received products people here posted, it was another case of waving people off.

There are purists here who want each and every detail to match exactly to the screen used item. I don't think MR was more geared towards catering to the person who knew very little about this hobby of ours and gave them their first taste of the good stuff.

So, let me close my diatribe by saying I'm sorry for being one of the first in this thread to not greet you with crimson and clover. I'd like to hear your take as a "civilian" on the QC issues. I think that is the biggest gripe from most everyone here in the end. Good day, and thanks for some good products.

Lucasfilm have FOUR original Obi Ep4 props!?

4) While some replicas, like the Obi Ep 4, were not absolutely correct (due a lack of viable reference) we never put out anything that didn’t have “soul”. We really sweated the details and I remember many times where I would be sitting at dinner with someone arguing about which angle of the taper on a tiny screw we should go with, because Lucas had four different versions of the original prop and they were all different.

Personally, I've never had any problems w/ MR. I know there was a great deal of dedication in developing these props/ collectables. Some people don't understand that you need to weigh (in terms of the market) exact detail vs. price vs. making sure it's something that will last (quality, but beyond that b/c a lot of props are made to last through shooting and that is all).

Don't stop selling the RotS Vader helmets until the end of the year. I'm saving up for one. :D

5) Lucasfilm NEVER asked us to make a product “10% inaccurate” because it was too close to the original. (That one keeps popping up and just cracks me up). If anything, they told me that they held us to a “higher standard” and mercilessly busted our chops to make things better and more accurate. We were all on the same page that the products needed to be the best they could be. The problem is…what is “accurate”? There are four models at the archive…each representing ONE prop on-screen…and they vary wildly in dimensions, finish and details. What do you do?

I'll give you a very specific response to this paragraph. There was only one "hero" of the Qui Gon Jinn lightsaber made. All subsequent "stunts" and secondaries were cast from that hero. This prop was also widely publicized and photographed in numerous publications. However there was a huge and very obvious inconsistency with the pommel. I went onto the rebelscum forum, posted a very detailed pictorial on the differences and asked MR several times to comment on this and received no response. You can view the thread here: http://threads.rebelscum.com/showfl...=&olderval=1&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post2242296

The same thing can be said for the Luke ROTJ hero prop. There were some differences in the control box and a couple of other dimensions. I was also talking with an individual who was apart of the U.S. First 500. And when I say, apart of, I mean he was in on meetings and machining the prototypes. He was told specifically to change certain items and details because LFL did NOT want them to be accurate.

MR has yet to comment on these issues directly.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back