My Commander Gree helmet ...thus far

CarolinaTK9805

Hi all!
I began work in December 2007 on my OSCS Commander Gree helmet. It's been a long process, but I wanted to make sure I did my best. Included below are pics as the helmet progresses from right out of the box to as it exists as of Feb. 12, 2008.

There are still some areas to clean up and some lines to define, but so far I am pretty happy with the progress.

If anyone is interested to know paint colors or techniques, just let me know and I'll be glad to share. I know their are many out there better at this than me, so any advice is welcome as well.

Thanks! :)

2210573609_d6e4153131_o.jpg

First undercoat of Krylon Metallic Silver (after sanding and bondo work)

2242389255_3149cb6e81_o.jpg

Some sanding on the silver and painted the cheek camo areas

2242389157_891b0708f4_o.jpg

Close up of one of the cheek indentions

2242389827_226e76b016_o.jpg

Face camo painted and toothpaste method used on top to get the flaked-paint look.

2243181252_e4d4b74f58_o.jpg

Close up of the face camo.

2242639557_844df09390_o.jpg

Dome camo painted and weathered.

2242639693_3fd584579e_o.jpg

Front view after dome painting.

2258116343_1ca06ffe88_o.jpg

Another front view.

2258914082_7e4d744ea0_o.jpg

Back view, after back camo painting.

Next step is the off-white of the cheek tubes and back areas. I'll post pics of those within the next couple of days.

It looks killer!! It does appear that only the front portions of the helmet are chrome though, but what do I know? :lol Great job :thumbsup

It looks killer!! It does appear that only the front portions of the helmet are chrome though, but what do I know? :lol Great job :thumbsup

Looks fantasic, but I gotta agree with CC here and say that that pic you posted does look like it's only the front section that's chrome, the rest looks white.

When trying to camoflauge your helmet, make sure some parts are left super reflective so your enemies will see only parts of you. :wacko

But yeah, the front appears to be the only metallic part. Good job on the camo areas. I have a few of these helmets that I want to paint, and this is one of the styles I want to do.

Scott

I think he's in-progress here, not finished.

Maybe he's using the silver undercoat method so when he does paint it and chips paint off it shows silver rather than the resin color?

I think he's in-progress here, not finished.

Maybe he's using the silver undercoat method so when he does paint it and chips paint off it shows silver rather than the resin color?

That's the idea! :)

Eventually, the only silver area will be the chin. As of now, I have covered the back silver areas and the cheek tubes in off-white, as in the screenshot. Not really worried about being "dead-on", but I'm going to try to get the colors as close as I can. :p

I'll be posting some updated pics tomorrow, if all goes well.

By the way, Servo, how's the R2 coming? Is he done?

Last edited:
Not wishing to detract from your excellent progress, here is what people are on about, again your build up is fantastic, Ive always wanted to tackle a Clone and those OSCS helmets look the business!! (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Not wishing to detract from your excellent progress, here is what people are on about, again your build up is fantastic, Ive always wanted to tackle a Clone and those OSCS helmets look the business!! (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

You're right about the face and the chin being silver. You really can't tell it in that pic, but that small area, behind and to the top of, the ear is silver as well. As near as I can tell, the tube areas are kind of off-white, when compared to the ears.

Here's a reference pic:
2274485977_795629b430_o.jpg

Here's a few pics after I painted the off-white and did a little touch-up in the camo and white areas. The pics are a bit yellow, due to the bulb in the lamp. Oh well...
2273069294_16b3e97bd8_o.jpg

2272276101_ed784cd975_o.jpg

2272275629_da2520a6bf_o.jpg

2273068974_35e0eebfd3_o.jpg

2273068796_28c7215c2d_o.jpg

Last edited:
That's indeed what I meant about the face part being silver too. Thanks CCody for the pic.

Excellent work CarolinaTK9805. I love that color scheme for the clone helmet. Looks great. As a side, don't forget the stripes on the tube part behind the ears.:thumbsup

That's indeed what I meant about the face part being silver too. Thanks CCody for the pic.

Excellent work CarolinaTK9805. I love that color scheme for the clone helmet. Looks great. As a side, don't forget the stripes on the tube part behind the ears.:thumbsup

:lol Good call!!

I noticed that after I posted the pics, that I still needed to do the stripes. :) Those have, since, been added.

I also noticed an error in my camo on the back. The camo area should come to the edges of the indentions. Gotta go back and fix that. :wacko

Anyone have any good weathering how-to's? I want to make sure it looks realistic.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back