My First Predator Build...

almost done ...just need a fixing plate and velcro

2012-09-28 14.15.04.jpg

Looks incredible. You have me rethinking many of things I've been working on and wanting to aim a little higher. Way to set the bar. Keep it up!

wow Jason missed this mate.. was great to see it on FB, but better to see it here..
all going good now, suit looks very cool...

looking forward to seeing the end result

.....and so my first suit up and pred' photo shoot,MASSIVE respect to all of you guys ,don't need to explain I think,but DAMN !!! ......HOT AIN'T THE WORD.I don't think I have ever sweated sooooooooooo much...nuff said~ but seriously stoked !

551292_4988679160791_1357410273_n.jpg

65150_4892285908259_601111826_n.jpg

581436_4988679680804_746187255_n.jpg

542797_4418851668511_1773377050_n.jpg

21892_4988680440823_1168349652_n.jpg

Bad ass looking suit. It came out amazing, love the paint on the skins and armor, you did an amazing job. Good looking foamies armor, wish i was as talented as you. Keep it up, and looking forward to seeng more pictures.

Very nice.

Foamies are wonderful things, aren't they? :D

...they are indeed my friend,seems endless to what you can get away with,I just need to seal or varnish them maybe to harden them up so they can take a bit of a knock.If anyone has suggestions I am all ears...varnish/resin etc etc....anyone?

The way I do foamie pieces:

Before assembling the pieces, coat them with several layers of watered down PVA glue (ordinary white elmers school glue mixed 50/50 with water). This seals all the pores, waterproofs them, and allows the paint to stick. It also helps strengthen the pieces and stiffen them a bit.

After assembling, I take some ordinary lightweight cotton muslin cloth and use watered-down PVA to glue it to the back of the larger pieces. This stiffens the piece and prevents it from tearing or warping. The smaller pieces are usually OK without the cloth backing.

The way I do foamie pieces:

Before assembling the pieces, coat them with several layers of watered down PVA glue (ordinary white elmers school glue mixed 50/50 with water). This seals all the pores, waterproofs them, and allows the paint to stick. It also helps strengthen the pieces and stiffen them a bit.

After assembling, I take some ordinary lightweight cotton muslin cloth and use watered-down PVA to glue it to the back of the larger pieces. This stiffens the piece and prevents it from tearing or warping. The smaller pieces are usually OK without the cloth backing.

Many thanks, I shall give that a try as I have some more pieces I want to make.

Q. Once the foamies are assembled as you have described and have been painted ,do you reseal the paintwork once dry ,again using the same method? to protect it?

Damn... this first build came out looking really beautiful.

I really love what you did with the foamies. Extraordinary build my friend. :cool:

many thanks for the kind words sir....must admit I really enjoyed the foamies,so easy to work with ,only thanks to the members here for sharing their build ups and knowledge etc....that gives you the will to have a go yourself.There is so much talent on this site, it is beyond words and the will to help and offer advice to others is awesome.

Q. Once the foamies are assembled as you have described and have been painted ,do you reseal the paintwork once dry ,again using the same method? to protect it?

I usually just spray it with a coat of clear gloss Krylon. I've not had any problem with the paint chipping off or such. But keep in mind that I use my costumes for fan films--I don't do conventions or events--so my stuff doesn't get as much abuse and rough handling as someone else's might.

Holy Crap in a Handbasket!! This has got to be one of the best foamie builds I've seen here. Very insperational! Question, can you go over how all the armor is strapped and held together?

I usually just spray it with a coat of clear gloss Krylon. I've not had any problem with the paint chipping off or such. But keep in mind that I use my costumes for fan films--I don't do conventions or events--so my stuff doesn't get as much abuse and rough handling as someone else's might.

much appreciated my friend for the info....will give it a go , I did use paper mash' on the inside to stiffen it up a bit....so more experimentation req'

Holy Crap in a Handbasket!! This has got to be one of the best foamie builds I've seen here. Very insperational! Question, can you go over how all the armor is strapped and held together?

Hi and thanks for the kind words....although it isn't all foam .The Gauntlets ,Chest/back and backpack are resin/fibre.The sternun ,back/spine armour, thighs and cannon are mainly foam and "do dads" added to them.I will take some pics regarding the strapping and add some info for you

Back