My first time as Indy

vaderbreath

Sr Member
Since I've lost about 80 pounds and am now in really good shape, I thought I would try a quick Indy costume for a high school retreat this last weekend (I was one of the speakers). I had a good leather jacket, picked up the BCF Fedora for $10, found a close shirt and pants at Goodwill for $5, already had the gun, found a cheap whip for about $5, and found a bag for about $7. Not really accurate, but close enough given I put it together in two days.

The reaction from the kids and adults was fantastic. They just screamed when I came running in to the theme song. 'Course, with my whiskers turning white so early (I'm only 36), I look like the more recent pics we've seen of Harrison Ford. My talk was on how life is an adventure, so Indy seemed to work well. I never realized how fun it would be to portray Indiana Jones. I have a full Vader suit, but this beats it because I didn't sweat to death for the 2 hours I was in costume! Good times! I didn't get any pics, but I'll try to get some this week.

-Corey

80 pounds is VERY impressive indeed. Hats off (means quite a lot in my case:lol). I lost 20 pounds during the work on the hats for the movie, but alas they came back again :unsure

Regards,

Marc

Thanks, guys! Well, 14 months ago I was diagnosed with diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, kidney damage, liver damage, and my vision was deteriorating. Two months ago, my doctor had to change my diagnosis to no longer being diabetic...not even pre-diabetic. Cholesterol, blood pressure, kidneys, liver, and vision are all back to normal. Change in diet and doing P90X workout regimen has made the difference.

The one thing I worry about with this Indy thing is that I'm going to get obsessed like I did with the Vader. I'm trying to just be content, but it's tough when I know the accurate pieces are out there. I almost feel embarrassed to say I have the BCF hat when the maker of the actual hat is here! But, it was cheap and it looked the part well enough.

-Corey

Great to hear about. I have to agree, you will get into it more, its a great outfit to pop together. I did it for the Toledo Zoo Haloween festival and was voted as best costume of the charity booths. Had a ball with it and just got asked back for a local theatre during the new release. So back to getting things together and getting a bit more accurate items this time, and I had a great outfit last time. Having a good whip you can crack will really get the crowd attention as well. :)

So wishing you continue on the health kick and this as well, its a fun way to have an excuse to get a good Indy collection together. :)

That's great news on the weightloss, Corey. I've been doing a weightloss program for the 8 months now, and it is remarkable how much your overall health improves in not just the obvious stuff like fitness and cholesterol, but other things like organ function.

Glad you had fun as Indy too. Post some pics up when you can.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

Thanks, guys! Well, 14 months ago I was diagnosed with diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, kidney damage, liver damage, and my vision was deteriorating. Two months ago, my doctor had to change my diagnosis to no longer being diabetic...not even pre-diabetic. Cholesterol, blood pressure, kidneys, liver, and vision are all back to normal. Change in diet and doing P90X workout regimen has made the difference.

-Corey

Dude, I'm almost in the same boat and any advice you would be willing to share I'm all ears. If it's not too much to ask.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. My wife will soon hate me because I've already started shopping around for some accurate stuff. It really is a great costume. I have a question: is there a way to 'reshape' the fedora to fit around my head better? It's a little snug front to back, but a little roomy on the sides. Any help would be appreciated!

Paul, I'll PM you. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask!

-Corey

Your hat is probably a rounder shape than your head - a common problem. If it is an inexpensive hat, it is probably wool felt, not fur felt. Wool felt will shrink if you steam it - fur felt can be steamed and re-shaped a bit. You can buy hat stretchers that are similar in fuction to shoe stretchers - you put 'em in and expand them to gently stretch out the hat - but they're way more expensive then your BCF hat was, the cheapest I ever saw was thirty-something bucks.

If it's bobbling side to side, you can always put a little something inside under the hat band to stabilize it a bit, even just a rolled up bit of paper.

Hope that is helpful.

Rick

Thanks for the kind words everyone. My wife will soon hate me because I've already started shopping around for some accurate stuff. It really is a great costume. I have a question: is there a way to 'reshape' the fedora to fit around my head better? It's a little snug front to back, but a little roomy on the sides. Any help would be appreciated!

Paul, I'll PM you. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask!

-Corey

YES!!! and It's what gave the Raiders fedora it's distinctive look. First ever notice that the bow on Indy's hat in Raiders is a bit forward of where it sits on most hats? You're about to learn why. The Hat is turned to the right. Put the hat on your head, now turn the hat on your head untill the pinch is oh, about almost over your right eye. Now go look in a mirrior to check it out. The brim is warped just like Indy's in Raiders isn't it? Now rebash the hat so that the crease, and pinch are centered back where they were, lined up with your nose, leaving the hat itself turned. From your discription of the fit of your hat, you have a long oval head just like Harrison Ford. This will not only make the hat fit better on your noggin but is the same process that gave us the look of the Raiders hat to begin with. For more on this do a search on Indygear for "the turn".

Ash
AKA: Johnny Fedora on COW

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back