NASA Spacesuit identification help

I thought it could be from "Lifeforce" so I searched Google, but that film used shuttle era type suits. Then I got distracted by some of the other pics that came up on that search, and didn't get anywhere else :$

I can't think of anything else it could be from. Anything I've seen either had very close NASA type suits or total fantasy designs. This one is trying real hard to be an Apollo suit, with only subtle detail differences.

Is a "hooker" the same as a monetarily-guaranteed companion-for-the-evening?

I think The Fixx said it best when they said

The deception with tact, just what are you trying to say?
You've got a blank face, which irritates
Communicate, pull out your party piece
You see dimensions in two
State your case in black or white
But when one little cross leads to shots, grit your teeth
You run for cover so discreet, why don't they:

Do what they say, say what you mean
One thing leads to another
You told me something wrong, I know I listen too long
But then one thing leads to another.

ahem

i don't know; maybe not. I just like quoting 80s songs. :lol

Does the suit have to be from a film?

There is a guy on one of the medieval armour forums who makes suits for NASA to use in displays and for training purposes, they look and act like space suits but would not keep you alive in space.

Just a thought

Craig

Quick update.

The spacesuit is indeed very close to the Diamonds Are Forever ones. There are many integral matches, in particular with the gloves.

I have put it to one side for a while hoping further new information would surface but it has not as of yet.

- David

I may not know much about the prop suits, but I'll chime in with what I know about what this was based on. This suit is obviously stylized after the Apollo A7L suits used from missions Apollo 7 to Apollo 14. The crotch region on the Apollo 15 thru 17 suits was different to allow better bending down there to fit in the lunar rover seats (and the chest connectors had a more asymetrical pattern). The suits used in Apollos 11 and 12 did not have red stripes on the commander (those were added for Apollo 13 and after).

I looked at suits used in shows like The Six Million Dollar Man and this doesn't seem to be one of those as during the times 6MDM had Apollo style suits suits (including the Skylab ones), they were the Apollo 15 through 17 variety (and likely actual NASA training suits). Capricorn One's suits also don't seem to match either. The only other made for TV projects from the 1970s I could think of were Earth 2 (which I believe used some leftover equipment from "Marooned") and a TV movie called "Stowaway to the Moon". But I was able to find a screen cap from Stowaway and those suits don't seem to be a match for this one either.

It is not anything from a shuttle era film that I know of (so that leaves out Moonraker, Lifeforce and probably E.T.). The shuttle era EMUs are rather different. The only one I can think of that "might" have Apollo style suits would be the 1981 film "Starflight One, the Plane that Couldn't Land" as I seem to recall the suits used in that TV film might have been more Apollo based than Shuttle.

Now one thing I did notice about this suit that makes it look unique to most of the others is the NASA patch is on the left breast region. Typical practice seems to have it on the right breast with a mission patch on the left breast. Talk about an oddball looking piece, this certainly is one (and I wish I was around when the original thread was new).

Hi,

Thanks for your input.

The patch is actually loosely fitted so may not be in the same place it originally was.

- David

Propmasters | Facebook

I may not know much about the prop suits, but I'll chime in with what I know about what this was based on. This suit is obviously stylized after the Apollo A7L suits used from missions Apollo 7 to Apollo 14. The crotch region on the Apollo 15 thru 17 suits was different to allow better bending down there to fit in the lunar rover seats (and the chest connectors had a more asymetrical pattern). The suits used in Apollos 11 and 12 did not have red stripes on the commander (those were added for Apollo 13 and after).

I looked at suits used in shows like The Six Million Dollar Man and this doesn't seem to be one of those as during the times 6MDM had Apollo style suits suits (including the Skylab ones), they were the Apollo 15 through 17 variety (and likely actual NASA training suits). Capricorn One's suits also don't seem to match either. The only other made for TV projects from the 1970s I could think of were Earth 2 (which I believe used some leftover equipment from "Marooned") and a TV movie called "Stowaway to the Moon". But I was able to find a screen cap from Stowaway and those suits don't seem to be a match for this one either.

It is not anything from a shuttle era film that I know of (so that leaves out Moonraker, Lifeforce and probably E.T.). The shuttle era EMUs are rather different. The only one I can think of that "might" have Apollo style suits would be the 1981 film "Starflight One, the Plane that Couldn't Land" as I seem to recall the suits used in that TV film might have been more Apollo based than Shuttle.

Now one thing I did notice about this suit that makes it look unique to most of the others is the NASA patch is on the left breast region. Typical practice seems to have it on the right breast with a mission patch on the left breast. Talk about an oddball looking piece, this certainly is one (and I wish I was around when the original thread was new).

I know I'm late on this reply, but Apollo history is my passion. That suit is modeled after Apollo, but is not at all a real suit. It's clearly a prop or museum display, but close scrutiny shows it is entirely fake.

I don't think anyone is suggesting this is a real suit.
Looking at the style I think it may be an old museum replica. There are a couple of old replicas I have seen with similar details.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back