New Elstree Studio documentary with discarded Graflex.

We are totally detailing this thread but.. this doesn’t look like black and white to me

Adjustments.jpg

Yeah... considering the color of the materials of its component parts, I think the only real place you'd see any discernible color would be the windvane/neck area. And I don't see any there. Definitely looks B&W to me.

My 2 cents! The upper portion of the wind vane looks very white and the main part is almost black. I dont see how anyone can pick out the brass color on that. If it is colored they turned the saturation way down.

That's awesome- 2 rivets for sure no doubt.

You know, it's funny. When I first got into this hobby in 2001-2002 everyone swore by 2 rivet d-rings on the Luke ANH saber. I even kinda remember someone saying the original prop had 2 rivets on the d-ring and we all accepted it and went along. Everyone's saber replicas had 2 rivet d-rings except the holes in the clip went the other way with the rivet holes in-line like the Luke ESB Kobold clip. I remember the re-examination of the d-ring here on the RPF probably 10 years ago and with the other 1 hole d-rings used on various SW props/costumes and the availability of the 1 hole Tandy d-ring everyone switched over from 2 in-line rivets to 1 rivet.

It's funny to see it come full circle back to the 2 rivet d-ring being accurate.

You know, it's funny. When I first got into this hobby in 2001-2002 everyone swore by 2 rivet d-rings on the Luke ANH saber. I even kinda remember someone saying the original prop had 2 rivets on the d-ring and we all accepted it and went along. Everyone's saber replicas had 2 rivet d-rings except the holes in the clip went the other way with the rivet holes in-line like the Luke ESB Kobold clip. I remember the re-examination of the d-ring here on the RPF probably 10 years ago and with the other 1 hole d-rings used on various SW props/costumes and the availability of the 1 hole Tandy d-ring everyone switched over from 2 in-line rivets to 1 rivet.

It's funny to see it come full circle back to the 2 rivet d-ring being accurate.

Very cool indeed

Perhaps this has been speculated before, but that motion GIF gives me pause: regarding the bottom stamp orientation, is it just a random mark, or could the off-center “GRAFLEX” be coming out of and not quite perpendicular to the edge of the D-ring fastener/clip, and slightly closer to his hand?

Last edited:

I think people instinctively worked backwards, and assumed that the ANH had two rivets because the ESB did. Then, they started examining the Tandy rings, and probably also assumed that the ANH bracket was small enough that it would only need one rivet.

Now that we know there were two rivets, it seems that the initial assumption was correct—when recreating the prop for ESB, they probably remembered or looked at reference showing the two rivets, but decided to use a more visually-interesting bracket, in the form of the Kobold.

Thank you for posting that!! The glass eye rim is very reflective - the glass eye I have on mine has a flat rim and then a sharp straight bevel. Ive seen early glass eyes with barely any rim and a sharp straight bevel, and the rounded shiny later ones too.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back