Suggestion New Site Colours

stefanchik

Dunno if its just me, but the new site looks really dark :-(

What with the black and grey backgrounds, and grey font lettering, it makes it somewhat difficult to find the various menu's and read all the texts ... could do with a different colour for the lettering in my opinion , white or yellow would both be good alternatives to this current grey

Stefan

I totally agree, Stefan. I hope there will be a light, whiteish theme in time. Light on dark is difficult for me to read for extended periods of time, too. Not to mention it looking kind of drab and depressed.

I'm not too keen on the random 'fandom' highlight at the top either. Not that I dislike the idea itself, it's just that it keeps making me think 'Eh, I don't even know what that's from! It certainly isn't my fandom!'. (Though when I get time, I might try to alter those images on my computer with the Stylish plugin for Chrome, so they mean something to me. Like the 'Full-Width' plugin for the last RPF theme. Fair enough, I suppose. Just taste.)

I think the dark colours and chosen fandoms (that I have seen so far, anyway) are fairly 'gritty' and 'rugged'. Almost like some war-like gaming site. Not all prop replicators are fans of this type of thing! It would be nice to have a theme for the lighter side of things, so it feels like 'home' again.

I totally agree with you. I've been using the "stylish" add-on for firefox all day to make it look like the RPF again. I'm not against change but this theme really feels way to dark and depressing and is way to impractical for my taste :/

I've had to do the same, I can only read it by hunching over my desk, I like to sit back and relax. The mobile theme isn't bad either ;)

Yea, a "war game" site hits it exactly on the head,
.. we dont need a fluffy layout, but something more "practical" in terms of the color schemes for ease of reading is what's required IMHO

After browsing a bit, I have to agree. The text doesn't pop. It's like viewing the site through soup. I'm sure it will be fixed in time. Main thing is to make sure the functionality is still here.

Not really a fan of the 50 Shades of Grey.

The posts, the text, the buttons (which are not even buttons), reply box, etc. etc. etc. all blend together. Nothing but the adds stand out.

To be fair I am trying to give it a good shot. I'm not the kind of guy who fights change. I love new technologies and constantly try to improve all aspects of my life and work.

I tried the new RPF on my phone. Initially, it looks great. It needs a new posts button.

Except that when you click on a thread you get the full site.

And the threads are just as unreadable if not more so because of the small screen size.

For comparison, this is a BBC article:

Or from ESPN

Or Facebook

Sorry. I vote for a high contrast option. And a bigger font if possible.

I totally agree with you. I've been using the "stylish" add-on for firefox all day to make it look like the RPF again. I'm not against change but this theme really feels way to dark and depressing and is way to impractical for my taste :/

I've been doing the same with the Safari add-on .. but a lot of the CSS is embedded in the HTML .. so I can't override it .. unless I use Js .. :-(

Last edited:
I don't think you should go with a full white on black contrast for the text. It should be black text on a slight "dirty" white background oder dark grey text on a white background but this is like grey on grey. Main functions like "Reply" or "Multi Quote" and all those other things are barely visible. The username also should stand out more and you really need to work on the font size in a lot places 'cause it's barely readable.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back