New United Cutlery - GI Joe Swords - Snake Eyes & Storm Shadow

G17RDY

Sr Member
Just went onto the United Cutlery website, and saw the new GI JOE movie swords of Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow.

Thought it may interest some of you....

I think the ones produced a while back, where the blades were coloured (can't remember the manufacturer) looked better, but still.......

www.unitedcutlery.com

utterly shameless in how they differentiate from true traditionally forged and hilted swords (which is what a TRUE ninja would use, right?), but cool in their own right.

Seconded!

indeed. i mean Snake-eyes is cool, but #1 his sword looks like those crappy stainless Tac-Kats that pop up all over the place, #2 the hollow grip must be hell on the balance, #3 SERRATED EDGE? Come on!, #4 the blades tehmselves look more like sabres from either europe or middle east/india than japanese, and #5, people are going to see this thinking this is what swords are really like and then it all goes downhill from there

I like his eagle headed scimitar the best. The Storm Shadow one doesn't really look over the top like the Snake Eyes version.

-arwa

#2 the hollow grip must be hell on the balance

The sword is highly impractical for actual combat use, but it's not a matter of balance. The part of the blade that slides into the hilt is called the Nakago. It's secured into the hilt of the sword, and held in place with a bamboo pin called the Mekugi. It's essentialy the backbone of the blade that provides support. Even if the Nakago was built to incooperate this hollow hilt design, (which it probably wasen't and is only for show) you would still be majorly weaking the support structure.

In short, no, it's not practical at all :lol A Ninja would traditionaly use a Ninjaken(straight blade) usually shorter than a Katana.

Shouldn't Storm Shadows come as a double set?

Also..........note spoiler ahead.........

If you buy the two will it have the option of attaching together like the movie?

I DID like the other versions they came out with a few years ago but these are still cool too.

Last edited by a moderator:
indeed. i mean Snake-eyes is cool, but #1 his sword looks like those crappy stainless Tac-Kats that pop up all over the place, #2 the hollow grip must be hell on the balance, #3 SERRATED EDGE? Come on!, #4 the blades tehmselves look more like sabres from either europe or middle east/india than japanese, and #5, people are going to see this thinking this is what swords are really like and then it all goes downhill from there

What's going to go down hill? I don't think historians, collectors, curators, or academics are going to be led astray here. The Dungeons and Dragons playing wallhanger crowd doesn't need accuracy, just something cool to hack branches with. What's the big deal about that?

well yeah, there are those that do their research and those that dont, but when a complete newbie looks at this thing, which category will he fall into o_O

Back