Nostromo research

Re: This thread closed.

Yeah, what's going on? I think an explanation, no matter how brief or vague, is in order. If it's personal, fine, but at least we'll know there's a reason.

Well...I'm sure there's a valid reason for it. Lets not not flood his PM box, and just wait and see what happens.

Maybe this has to do with the Armstrong/aliens thread, seems like things were starting to get heated.

Maybe this has to do with the Armstrong/aliens thread, seems like things were starting to get heated.

I wondered that - he closed his Nostromo threads 20 minutes after his last post in that thread. Things did seem heated, but it looked like a misunderstanding to me. I hope he hasn't decided to shut down such a great project due to something that could easily be resolved.

:confused :confused :confused I thought he was totally joking around in the Armstrong thread.

Hopefully this thread can be kept active in JT's absence, his enthusiasm and work sparked great momentum on a fascinating (and criminally neglected!) subject. I really hope you reconsider JT.

Thanks for that interview link Phase Pistol, it's a very insightful read.

Well we're going to want a mod to rename the thread "Nostromo research" or something then. :rolleyes

I was just going over the other thread and quite honestly can't see where it went south.

THIS here is a really awesome thread, and have loved every post in it.

In the junkyard there is a thread about Neil Armstrong seeing alien bases on the moon. Some how on around page 7 or 8, it jumps the shark and.. :confused

well, just read it for yourself. I've reread it a few times and am not sure what happened.

Either way, I hope JT continues this thread. a man with a genuine love for the film ALIEN. Right up there with Harry and willie(and those are just the one I know off the top of my head).

Okay...I think I know what happened.
As you may know, both JTP and Fred have been huge contributers to this thread, along with other people; however, it became apparant that with all the great Nostromo information coming out just lately, there was no dedicated place for it, and it had gotten placed on JTP's thread as there wasn't any other place for it to go. JTP's thread was based on a model he was creating, along with the research of the real screen-used models, but where would we put discussions on the set design, concepts and sketches of the USCSS Nostromo?
There is no problem with JTP, or the thread, or any of the RPF fellow members; I think he is just doing some spring-cleaning. There is a separate site of which Fred has been a member for a while, and there is a dedicated section on ALIEN which has been open a short time. I believe the only reason this thread 'closed' is because it's difficult at times to post stuff on various threads and forums, and I know Fred and others have many exciting plans very soon for the discussion of ALIEN (not just the props, of which this site is fantastic, I've met many great people on here and will continue to contribute to the RPF and enjoy doing so) but at this one other location rather than several different ones.
Believe me JTP is still hard at work on his kits, he's simply decided to very soon focus his web-posting time to one place. I wasn't expecting this thread to close so soon, but whether on this thread or others, personally I hope to continue to discuss this great movie with others, and I know JTP will too.
I hope that explains things a little, anyways...
- SJ. :cool

Sorry, SJ, but no, it really doesn't. This has been a hugely enjoyable thread for BOTH the excellent kit AND the excellent research and JT has given no sign of being unhappy with having his toes trodden on. If that WAS the reason then he's being a little snippy to bail on us without warning or at least a request to turn things down a notch.

I'd missed the heated argument thing too, have to say that right now it sounds like a more convincing explanation. :(

I'd like JT to take up the reins again but if not, then I second PP's call for this thread to be renamed as the official Nostromo research thread...

Okay...I think I know what happened.
As you may know, both JTP and Fred have been huge contributers to this thread, along with other people; however, it became apparant that with all the great Nostromo information coming out just lately, there was no dedicated place for it, and it had gotten placed on JTP's thread as there wasn't any other place for it to go. JTP's thread was based on a model he was creating, along with the research of the real screen-used models, but where would we put discussions on the set design, concepts and sketches of the USCSS Nostromo?
There is no problem with JTP, or the thread, or any of the RPF fellow members; I think he is just doing some spring-cleaning. There is a separate site of which Fred has been a member for a while, and there is a dedicated section on ALIEN which has been open a short time. I believe the only reason this thread 'closed' is because it's difficult at times to post stuff on various threads and forums, and I know Fred and others have many exciting plans very soon for the discussion of ALIEN (not just the props, of which this site is fantastic, I've met many great people on here and will continue to contribute to the RPF and enjoy doing so) but at this one other location rather than several different ones.
Believe me JTP is still hard at work on his kits, he's simply decided to very soon focus his web-posting time to one place. I wasn't expecting this thread to close so soon, but whether on this thread or others, personally I hope to continue to discuss this great movie with others, and I know JTP will too.

Fred here,
Space Jockey is right, I've invited JTP on "the other board" because I'd like to turn a small part of it (one of its sub-sections) into an ALIEN database. Such places mainly devoted to ALIENS already exist and I really think that, since Scott's film is a true masterpiece (not like ALIENS, a cool popcorn movie but nothing more IMHO) it truely deserved such a place on the web, at last ! (this year will see the 30th anniversay of the release of this film)
So I'm currently inviting people I've met on the web to register and contribute. I say ON THE WEB, not ON THE RPF. My goal here isn't (and never was) to "steal" members on the RPF or other boards, rather to offer the opportunuity for members of "the other board" to share info and ideas face to face with other ALIEN enthusiasts, nothing more.
I've already invited Richie & Steve and they've since joined but they never closed their thread on the RPF (I know them for a year now since I've helped the best I could on their EVA SUIT project by sending screencaps and info via email when I wasn't a RPF member).
Same thing for JTP, I've invited him but never asked that he would close his thread here... I must say I'm quite surprised by his decision myself !
:confused

PS : I'd also like to underscore that I'm not an admin nor a mod on "the other board", just a member.

Last edited:

Sorry, SJ, but no, it really doesn't. This has been a hugely enjoyable thread for BOTH the excellent kit AND the excellent research and JT has given no sign of being unhappy with having his toes trodden on. If that WAS the reason then he's being a little snippy to bail on us without warning or at least a request to turn things down a notch.

I'd missed the heated argument thing too, have to say that right now it sounds like a more convincing explanation. :(

I'd like JT to take up the reins again but if not, then I second PP's call for this thread to be renamed as the official Nostromo research thread...

Agreed, I've enjoyed it too, and I don't believe JTP was unhappy either. With all the discussion on the other aspects of the movie (not just the Props) there was simply a desire to put all that info in one place, rather than having to post it on various sites. There are other things in the pipeline such as discussions on Set Design and Blueprints in the coming weeks so it just seemed to make sense to get more organized.
Personally I love the movie, have done for many many years and look forward to continued discussion wherever it may be. :cool

This seems a little lame to me.

Close what?

Come join my forum?

Is it a "fight club" forum, or post a link. too many forums as it is.

"popcorn movie", I'll disagree with that comment.

Would you guys care to share regarding this other forum?

If you don't want to post here for whatever reason, please PM me.

"popcorn movie", I'll disagree with that comment.

I totaly respect the fact that others might LOVE this movie, that was just MY opinion here, nothing else... Sorry if it sounded offending...

Birdie, I don't think we have the right to post links to other forums on the RPF ???
:unsure
(PM sent)

Fred

Last edited:
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back