Old Don Post CA Vader, what should I do?

It still appears to be in pretty good shape to me. I'd wash it, and replace the grill, posts and lining. I'd go either one of two ways on the rest... the first would be to try a plastic polish the see if that does away with the scratches. Or, sand it, then use a scratch fill primer on it. Sand that all nice and smooth and then repaint it. Wet sand it and wax it... but let the paint sit for a while before waxing. 30 days would be best. If you're going that route, I would reshape it with heat a little... it is slightly warped by the looks of it.

The face is nice but great horny-toads that neck really needs reshaping....I don't understand how the necks come to be like that when back in the day I never saw them that bad.

I went to the local hardware store and asked for Isopropyl Alcohol, and they looked at me as if I dragged a unicorn out of my nose. They suggested I try something that's called "red spirits" here i Norway, which I think is ethanol.

Another store had Isopropanol on their shelf, which kind of sounds like Isopropyl and Alcohol together. Could that be the thing? It was blue in colour. On the contents it just said 100% isopropanol...

I checked out the ESB research images on The Prop Den (great site for Vader stuff!), and compared the original neck flare to mine. My neck is a lot wider than Vader should be. If I bend it using heat, is there a chance it will unbend itself in time? Should I look for a permanent solution to hold it in place (metal hooks connected with a band of sorts was my thought).

One crazy idea I had was to not polish the parts that are supposed to be painted gunmetal, perhaps that will result in an interesting look :)

PHArchivist: No way I am making an exploded version! Unless I have a horrible melting accident while bending the vinyl, this thing is a museum piece to me.

NoHumorMan: Thanks for telling me about the Rubies helmet, that was new to me. I see several on eBay for just 50 bucks, it looks like quite a bargain! Could I use it as a guide for the neck flare, perhaps?

I need to find the norwegian name for it, and it doesn't seem to be a literal translation of rubbing alcohol. Any scandinavians here that can help me?

The face is nice but great horny-toads that neck really needs reshaping....I don't understand how the necks come to be like that when back in the day I never saw them that bad.

I still have my CA Vader and it was that way out of the box :unsure. Irritated me to no end. I used to try to heat it up and reshape the vinyl but it always went back to that unshaped look.

I eventually learned to live with it.

I also repainted it with plastic gloss paint and it still looks pretty good after several years and two cross country moves.

If I bend it using heat, is there a chance it will unbend itself in time? Should I look for a permanent solution to hold it in place (metal hooks connected with a band of sorts was my thought).
I would rough sand the inside surface of the neck and then once heated and shaped back into place I would smear the inside with plastic padding. Don't worry if it doesn't stick, because you will then have a shape to always be able to get the neck back into. One way to give vinyl a new "memory" of desired shape is to heat it, shape it, hold it in place and then dump it in the freezer for the quick freeze.

Thanks for telling me about the Rubies helmet, that was new to me. I see several on eBay for just 50 bucks, it looks like quite a bargain! Could I use it as a guide for the neck flare, perhaps?
No, I wouldn't use the Rubies for that. It is warped too. Is this the only Vader helmet you have?

This was the household alcohol I was talking about. It states "bio ethanol" on the front.
333.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, it's my only Vader helmet. I hope I will afford a more accurate Vader sometime in the future. I've got four troopers, though!

I've read in some other norwegian forums that this alcohol might be impossible to get in Norway. But I found someone on eBay that sells Novus plastic polish, and I'm thinking of ordering a set of cleaners from them. That was mentioned earlier in this thread, so I guess I am safe :)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back