Opinons, please- Starship Modeler website

knightoftheroc

So, been suddenly struck with an urge to do a model. Haven't built one in ages- my last one was probably a Star Wars ship, back when they first came out, so figure 30 years. Whats available on the shelf around where I live is just about all car stuff, and I'm not into them. So, I'm bouncing around the internet, and I find this site: http://www.starshipmodeler.com/ , and some of the models have piqued my interest. I'm wondering what kind of reputation they have, and I'd like to hear opinions on the quality of the models, too.

Starship Modeler is a news and forum site.. been around for years and years. They have reviews and reference materials, and a discussion board. I kind of liked it the various times I've stopped in over there. The reviews and news parts of the site are not updated often enough in my opinion.

SM also runs contests. In general it seems less juvenile and raucous than other sites I've tried to visit. :lol

k

I concur with Phase Pistol. Some of the information could be updated a little more often, but it's a two-person operation maintaining the site, moderating the forum, and running the store (which has the fastest shipping I've ever seen from an online store, and they make a sincere effort to provide the best products they can). IMO the forum members are equally as knowledgeable about sci-fi as RPF members are about props and costumes. There is the occasional bickering, but the moderators keep it to a minimum; they're fair, but they aren't shy about letting people know when they've gotten out of line.

As you were primarily inquiring about their products and service, it's my understanding that very few customers have ever had any complaints. I've ordered from them several times; never received a bad product, and never had to wait more than 3-4 days before I received my order (unless it was a preorder, of course). If anything, the only downside is wanting a resin kit or resin replacement/accurization parts kit that is out of stock; I've seen some items go a year or more before a restock because their casters are so backed up.

If you decide to order from them, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I'm a frequent customer of Starship Modeler's store
they are one of the best online garage kit dealers... bar none

never had a problem with getting missing parts replaced, or an order fulfilled
top notch people to buy from

and like zombie said, their shipping is unbelievably fast

now for models, they have some kits they produce themselves, and others that they sell from other garage kitters
it will vary a bit, but I've never known them to carry crap

all the kits I've gotten have been reasonably priced and quality items

Can't go wrong with SSM. They have a good forum that some feel are too moderated. I have always felt they lock or delete threads before they fall in the all too typical "he said", "they said" "Your f'n stupid" arguements that clutter up too many boards and conversations.

A bunch of good people over there that are always willing to help.

Can't go wrong with SSM. They have a good forum that some feel are too moderated. I have always felt they lock or delete threads before they fall in the all too typical "he said", "they said" "Your f'n stupid" arguements that clutter up too many boards and conversations.

A bunch of good people over there that are always willing to help.

I will also vouch for SSM. They're legit. :thumbsup

Thanks, guys! I learned a long time ago to never just jump on the order line just because a price is attractive- it's only a bargain if you actually GET what you paid for, right? So, I figured I'd get some input from folks, and as usual on the RPF, I'm not dissappointed.

Now, since I have some ST fans answering, let me ask another opinon question- I see that they have some trek-inspired ships listed that are in no ship listing i've ever seen, and they look pretty good, regardless. So: Do you think that fan-created ships should be incorporated into the ST universe, like the SWEU has accepted R2-KT? (R2-KT is the only fan-created character ever to be welcomed into LFL's lexicon, and I'm proud to have made my own small contribution to keeping the little pink droid up and running. And even prouder to be a part of the group that created her.) Examples of the ships I'm talking about:
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/newshop/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1352
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/news...&Product_ID=1599&CFID=604295&CFTOKEN=69864132
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/news...&Product_ID=1574&CFID=604295&CFTOKEN=69864132

I'll throw my two cents in as well. I have been a member there for a long time. Shipping is super fast from the store. Plus they put litle smiley faces on the reciept. They drew a little alien when I ordered the Area 51 UFO from them. Does that effect the order? No. But it shows attention to the order and that it isn't being boxed by someone who could care less about it. It's that kind of detail that makes the SSM store a nice place. Plus they do Secret Santa!

My 2 cents as well. I ordered something last night and I have
already recieve the notice saying it has shipped.

Now that is FAST!

Never had a problem with them on any level.

Been a member for years. Site is very informative (like this one)
and the store is run top notch.

You won't go wrong with them.

Thanks, guys! I learned a long time ago to never just jump on the order line just because a price is attractive- it's only a bargain if you actually GET what you paid for, right? So, I figured I'd get some input from folks, and as usual on the RPF, I'm not dissappointed.

Now, since I have some ST fans answering, let me ask another opinon question- I see that they have some trek-inspired ships listed that are in no ship listing i've ever seen, and they look pretty good, regardless. So: Do you think that fan-created ships should be incorporated into the ST universe, like the SWEU has accepted R2-KT? (R2-KT is the only fan-created character ever to be welcomed into LFL's lexicon, and I'm proud to have made my own small contribution to keeping the little pink droid up and running. And even prouder to be a part of the group that created her.) Examples of the ships I'm talking about:
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/newshop/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1352
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/news...&Product_ID=1599&CFID=604295&CFTOKEN=69864132
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/news...&Product_ID=1574&CFID=604295&CFTOKEN=69864132

I too can vouch for the alacrity of SSM's shipping, good all around service. Personally, I think thier board is over moderated; but that's just me.

About your second question; the first ship you listed above is a canon ship, it was the titular ship featured in an episode of "Star Trek Voyager" entitled "equinox". The second ship is definately fan created and will most likely never be included in any 'official' publication. The third, while not canon, was featured in (I think) a non-canon gaming publication back in the eighties. I would not be bothered if any of the above designs were incorporated into "official" canon. (Whatever that means with JJTrek having taken over)

There is an example of a fan-created ship becoming semi-quasi-canon. For the "Star Trek: Titan" book series the publishing house held a contest where the fans would design the titular ship. A winner was chosen and, for better or worse, that design has been (mostly) accepted.

Starship Modeler is the most consistent and even-tempered reference site and forum for genre-specific modeling. If you want to get into building space craft and science fictions subjects, you will enjoy their site. The forum is well populated with modelers of all levels of skill. Once you join, you will be treated like family. (That includes the occasional GROUNDING!)

I think many people from here would enjoy their site. I would love to see prop replicas show up on SSM. 1:1 is a valid modeling scale!

I think many people from here would enjoy their site. I would love to see prop replicas show up on SSM. 1:1 is a valid modeling scale!

You may get your wish. With Pegasus doing "models" of the VOX and Nebualizer they will be shpwing up there I'm sure. One small step and then we will invade in full force!!!!!!

Nothing but good things to say about SSM. The forum has been an invaluable source of info and tips for me, they're a good bunch. Also worth a mention is the delivery times for the store I ordered a bunch of kits on Friday morning from Lindenhurst IL and they arrived on my doorstep Tuesday afternoon in Anchorage AK. I've never had a problem with any of their kits but I've heard they they will move heaven and earth to sort any problems out.

It's a running joke on the forum that John and Linda have a working transporter. :)

Give them a try you won't regert it.:thumbsup

I too can vouch for the alacrity of SSM's shipping, good all around service. Personally, I think thier board is over moderated; but that's just me.

About your second question; the first ship you listed above is a canon ship, it was the titular ship featured in an episode of "Star Trek Voyager" entitled "equinox". The second ship is definately fan created and will most likely never be included in any 'official' publication. The third, while not canon, was featured in (I think) a non-canon gaming publication back in the eighties. I would not be bothered if any of the above designs were incorporated into "official" canon. (Whatever that means with JJTrek having taken over)

There is an example of a fan-created ship becoming semi-quasi-canon. For the "Star Trek: Titan" book series the publishing house held a contest where the fans would design the titular ship. A winner was chosen and, for better or worse, that design has been (mostly) accepted.

Yeah, I realized right after I posted, and went back to the SSM tabs in my browser, that there WAS a canon ship in there (I remembered it from the Franz Joseph manual). Oh well, the intent of the question came through clear enough, I guess. My girlfriend actually supports my geeky habits, and has turned into quite the budding sci-fi geekette herself, so I'm thinking of maybe re-creating the model collection I had as a teenager- SW dogfight hanging from the ceiling in one corner of my room, and a three way ST ship fight hanging in another. Of course, I can do it up a lot nicer now, since I A- am employed, however meagerly, B- pay the rent, so it's my call, and C- I have access to much nicer lighting and FX options than I did in the 70's.

I love SSM, my modeling skills (which still leave much to be desired) were merely sub-standard before joining there. I have learned more by reading the how-to threads and discussions there than I care to recall. Plus they tipped me off about this site so.....

Many good references about SSM.
Good luck with your collection.
Having a supporting wife/girlfreind/or any other option is a great think (I know that for self experience)
Happy modeling and don´t forget to post your buildings here.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back