ORCA scratch build

Wow flimzy, you're going all out with that build:love::love::love::love:
Thankyou, well its the last time at this scale. I've still got a few thing wrong but mainly where I've gone off book just because I'm enjoying my self.
6th scale is where its at. My plan is to wrap up this build and thread by next week. take a break starting the harpoon gun and modar set.
then start a new threat for the 6th scale. which will be a long build with some challenges. but at a scale that will look better on camera and might even go down to the coast for some horizon shots.

Oh and fix the spinner screen that the kitten jumped through.

Spent all day chasing down a short in the wiring . Stopped the leak and did some rigging
IMG_1192.jpeg
IMG_1191.jpeg
IMG_1188.jpeg
IMG_1186.jpeg
IMG_1185.jpeg
IMG_1184.jpeg
IMG_1183.jpeg

Last edited:
When testing last week I came the the conclusion to shoot at 72fps and tow jaws and barrel I needed to up the upf from last time. I’d moved up to a brushless motor without a gear box but it only got me the same power as before. So I dug down the back of the sofa and bought a water cooled bigger set. This was a fiddly job to swop over I have to make a custom aluminium ( for you Americans that,s aluminium) mount but also after spending a day finding and sealing the leek, I’ve now drilled holes in the hull.
IMG_1201.jpeg
IMG_1203.jpeg
IMG_1205.jpeg
IMG_1207.jpeg
luckily I’ve managed to put the out put in the same place as the real orca.
IMG_1208.jpeg

Last edited:
When testing last week I came the the conclusion to shoot at 72fps and tow jaws and barrel I needed to up the upf from last time. I’d moved up to a brushless motor without a gear box but it only got me the same power as before. So I dug down the back of the sofa and bought a water cooled bigger set. This was a fiddly job to swop over I have to make a custom aluminium ( for you Americans that,s aluminium) mount but also after spending a day finding and sealing the leek, I’ve now drilled holes in the hull.View attachment 1859077View attachment 1859078View attachment 1859079View attachment 1859080 luckily I’ve managed to put the out put in the same place as the real orca.View attachment 1859082
The 90amp ESC is going to be soooooooooo much better for the boat, especially with a high 36 wind motor. You're going to have a lot of speed out of that motor, instead of torque I only have an 80amp ESC in mine with an 800 series motor (drill motor) and should have gone with a higher amp. Surpass is a really good name. I use to use those motors when I raced my R/C cars back in the (mumbles) 80's. LMAO I Love the A- Lu-Ma-Num compared to Alu-Mini-Um.

Beautiful ships. Have scratch built several over 6’ from original plans, so appreciate the fidelity and detail. The weathering is talented artwork IMO. Certainly, it’s an added joy sailing under remote control. Some of your photos are hard to tell from the real vessel. Certain designs are indeed classic with beautiful lines. Makes repeat builds a pleasure.

These are from a few days ago I found them on my camera. I really need to shorten Hooper before going to the lake.
Got loads done today but didn't take any shots.
Did the water line marked so I can paint a algae. just waiting for brass to arrive for the bottle screws then I can do the rigging.
DNC I did end up completely remaking the shark fins mast . I also noticed I had forgotten to scale the fire extinguisher wright.
made the chum buckets and started gluing props down as I'm happy with them looking write. still on target to finish next week.
IMG_0977.JPG
IMG_1003.JPG
IMG_1004.JPG
IMG_1016.JPG
IMG_1023.JPG
IMG_1027.JPG
IMG_1031.JPG
IMG_1034.JPG

Looks great, but you've outclassed the figures and they're the weakest element. Don't remember if you talked about this, but are you going to be customizing the heads/clothes to make them more realistic looking (aside from shortening Hooper, that is)?

Looks great, but you've outclassed the figures and they're the weakest element. Don't remember if you talked about this, but are you going to be customizing the heads/clothes to make them more realistic looking (aside from shortening Hooper, that is)?
The idea other than adjusting hooper is to upscale the whole thing. 6th scale holds much better detail and would be sea worthy on a calm day

Back