original esb vader costume on the auction block

Just as a reminder to everyone reading, the ROTJ helmets were actually refurbished ESB helmets. A new mold for the faceplate or dome was not made for ROTJ.
The ROTJ helmet details that everyone refers to actually only pertain to one helmet in particular that happened to be on screen for the majority of the time in ROTJ.
If you were to compare a grouping of ESB helmets and a grouping of ROTJ helmets, you would find that since they are all individually converted from an ANH style base casting, that they all possess slightly different details, specifically in the chin vent area, widow's peak, and mounting ring positioning.

Well we've moved on many months since the last discussion but you're still getting the facts wrong

Well as far as the origin of the ROTJ helmets we did cover that at length in this super awesome thread. :)

http://www.therpf.com/f9/origins-rotj-vader-helmets-jy-thread-continuation-65622/

But even if the ROTJ helmets were all refurbished ESB, we don't see evidence of a refurbished ROTJ-like helmet during or even around the time of ESB. So regardless of their source, it is still beholden to Christie's to demonstrate that the helmet is indeed ESB when presented with evidence to the contrary.

That's correct, he is none other than Brian Muir, the original sculptor of the Darth Vader helmet and armor back in 1976, as well as the stormtrooper armor (and he worked on C3PO and a couple of other droids as well). And he knows someone from the production of ROTJ. So we are very fortunate to have him here to provide his input.

Reuters: "James Bond outguns Darth Vader at UK film auction" - James Bond outguns Darth Vader at UK film auction | Reuters

(Reuters) - A pistol used in a publicity shot for the James Bond film "From Russia With Love" sold for 277,250 pounds ($439,000) at a London auction on Thursday, around 15 times its pre-sale estimate.

The result partly made up for disappointment at Christie's auction house when a rare Darth Vader costume, expected to fetch between 160,000 and 230,000 pounds, failed to sell.

The weapon was a Walther air pistol which Bond actor Sean Connery held in a photo-shoot used for the main image in the poster and advertising campaign for the 1963 movie.

It had been priced at between 15-20,000 pounds before the pop culture sale, and the last time it went under the hammer was in 2001 when it sold for 14,100 pounds.

The Darth Vader costume was believed to have been for the production of "The Empire Strikes Back," the second "Star Wars" film to be released.

It failed? Maybe that'll teach them not to put something that questionable up for auction. People have gotten very vary of these things after the Star Trek fiasco. Thanks for the update.

It may also be that those with the buying power are doing their research first. If they're studying up on RPF posts then more power to them. :thumbsup

I thought as much. It seems the auction description had too much in it that was questionable, indirect, or vague. And anyone who has read anything about Star Wars in the press in regard to the background to this costume would have done research on Andrew Ainsworth and that by itself would have raised a red flag given the litigation against him by LFL. Poor judgement on Christie's part.

Well, as for the costume, if I was the seller I would not be too disappointed since it could still sell in another auction as an authentic promotional Vader costume and still fetch a respectably high price. I would have worded the auction to be a ROTJ promotional suit that is thought to have original helmet/armor components. Present it from the point of view of replica and possibly original rather than original and possibly replica. If Christie's would have made some effort to accept input, even from someone like Brian Muir, and then make improvements to the wording of the auction, or add a qualifying statement to buyers that the original components may be promotional, and reduce the estimate by 50%, then I am sure it would have sold.

"Your overconfidence is your weakness." :devil

I thought as much. It seems the auction description had too much in it that was questionable, indirect, or vague. And anyone who has read anything about Star Wars in the press in regard to the background to this costume would have done research on Andrew Ainsworth and that by itself would have raised a red flag given the litigation against him by LFL. Poor judgement on Christie's part.

Well, as for the costume, if I was the seller I would not be too disappointed since it could still sell in another auction as an authentic promotional Vader costume and still fetch a respectably high price. I would have worded the auction to be a ROTJ promotional suit that is thought to have original helmet/armor components. Present it from the point of view of replica and possibly original rather than original and possibly replica. If Christie's would have made some effort to accept input, even from someone like Brian Muir, and then make improvements to the wording of the auction, or add a qualifying statement to buyers that the original components may be promotional, and reduce the estimate by 50%, then I am sure it would have sold.

"Your overconfidence is your weakness." :devil
100% agreed.

It may also be that those with the buying power are doing their research first. If they're studying up on RPF posts then more power to them. :thumbsup

I seriously doubt it was a result of anything we said here. I think it was simply the way in which the lot was presented by Christie's. They did nothing to respond to any input whatsoever. The responsibility lies with them.

Thanks to Brian Muir for pointing this out on TPD:

BBC News - Dave Prowse: The man behind Darth Vader's mask

Highlights:

The Darth Vader costume in the Christie's auction is expected to fetch up to £230,000 ($368,000).

Prowse has seen the costume, but has not verified it as the one he wore on screen. The original Star Wars costume is in the Lucasfilm archive in the US. The last time he wore it was in the 1990s.

And...

Darth auction
Darth Vader costume The costume is thought to have been custom-made for the Star Wars series

The Darth Vader costume up for auction is being sold by American private collector who acquired it in 2003.

The auction notes say: "The costume is being sold on behalf of a gentleman recorded as having one of the most extreme cases of the debilitating condition Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) ever diagnosed.

"The costume came into the gentleman's possession after much tenacity in his quest to possess an original Darth Vader suit from The Empire Strikes Back, as an aid to battle the condition."

The owner bought two suits from a UK company that had been authorised to create "second generation Vader suits for promotional purposes".

After examining differences in the second suit, the collector came to the conclusion "that he was now the owner of production-made helmet, mask, shoulder armour, and shin-guard components".

Christie's notes: "To say it is screen-used is difficult as there would be several production-made helmets, masks and shoulder guards, just to cope with the sheer intensity and requirements of filming."

It seems Dave had a hand in the lack of sale.

'Darth Vader' costume can't find new owner at sale - Yahoo! News

LONDON – Auctioneers overestimated the power of the dark side.

An original Darth Vader costume from a "Star Wars" movie did not sell at auction Thursday when no bidder offered to pay the reserve price, Christie's auctioneers said.

The outfit — a jet-black helmet, mask and armor — was expected to sell for between 160,000 pounds and 230,000 pounds ($250,000 to $365,000). The reserve price is confidential but generally it is just under the minimum expected price.

Christie's said bidding stopped at 150,000 pounds.

The costume is thought to have been made for "The Empire Strikes Back," the second film in George Lucas's sci-fi series, released in 1980.

The auction house's head of popular culture, Neil Roberts, said the costume is one of the most iconic in the history of cinema.

Christie's did not name the seller, identified only as an American private collector.

Also:

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2010/11/25/vadar-costume-auction-star-wars.html?ref=rss

It didn't sell, but someone still bid over $200,000 for it (bidding stopped at $150,000 pounds not dollars). That's still rather impressive for what it actually was. If Christie's would have been responsible and sold it for what it was, everyone would have walked away happy.

It didn't sell, but someone still bid over $200,000 for it (bidding stopped at $150,000 pounds not dollars). That's still rather impressive for what it actually was. If Christie's would have been responsible and sold it for what it was, everyone would have walked away happy.

I was in the auction room and I don't think there were any bidders. It's fairly standard practice for auction houses to run items up to just below reserve in the hope that they get one bid to bring it to the reserve amount - which in this case was obviously £160k.

I am very glad this didn't sell - in short, it was / is a joke and a high profile sale of such a questionable item would have tarnished the hobby.

Regards,

David

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back