Original Golden Idol from Raiders here...

Any thoughts on the idol (and whip) in the Bonhams auction next month?

There is no way in hell that the idol is authentic. Unless someone can find a frown mouth idol ANYWHERE in Radiers, I will remain in belief that the mouth was altered AFTER filming was done.

I notice it said "...produced for the special effects department for use during stunt sequences..." But it does not state this was actually used!

This is the second Idol with a turned down mouth I have seen that comes with a certificate of authenticity: Raiders of the Lost Ark Fertility Idols In The Marketplace (“The Danziger Collection”, “Elstree Film Studios”) : The Original Prop Blog – Jason DeBord's TV and Movie Prop Memorabilia Resource

So is there any chance at all some of these with the turned down mouth were made for production, but never used???

I have to admit, when I first saw this new idol I thought it was a money bank idol.... ha ha

Whips look bogus!

Andy

Last edited:
I notice it said "...produced for the special effects department for use during stunt sequences

I have to admit, when I first saw this new idol I thought it was a money bank idol.... ha ha
Andy

1) Why would they make the "stunt" idol any different looking than the hero (why resculpt it)

2) You can see clearly that the real stunt idol(s) (the one Indy tosses to Sapito, picks up off the ground after Sapito drops and the one that Belloq holds up) are all the same sculpt as the hero idol.

3) Gobler (Jeff) here has held the "stunt" idol. He said it was made of foam and plated just like the hero idol.

4) I have never heard of any idols being made from resin for the production, only fiberglass and/or foam.

5) I thought the same thing (idol bank):lol

An original plaited leather bullwhip used in the production of Raiders of the Lost Ark. The whip is accompanied by a typed letter signed by Kit West, dated September 20, 2002 on Kit West SPFX letterhead stating, “…Originally there were six whips. The one I’m giving you is the last one that is completely intact and in it’s original mint condition … If anyone questions their authenticity they can contact me for verification. As you know, I was Special Effects Supervisor on the film and won an Oscar® for my work on it.”

From the auction information above.

Ok...I suggest we contact him and ask "What gives"????

As you know, I was Special Effects Supervisor on the film and won an Oscar® for my work on it.”

From the auction information above.

Ok...I suggest we contact him and ask "What gives"????

Exaclty, who cares that a Special Effects Supervisor says it's authentic! I can't imagine that the SPFX Supervisor got one of the whips.

I have an original production idol from Dazinger Collection, one of the 4. It have a CoA signed by Norman Harrison.

Hey Guys,

Just after some help please! I'm sure the following pictures came off a Raiders dvd that had special features from what I read somewhere. Does anyone know which Raiders dvd it was??

idol113.png

idol114.png

idol115.png

idol116.png

Also on another thread here on the RPF you can see a glimpse of an original idol, pretty cool pic for those who haven't seen it.

Post #28:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/lucasfilm-archives-video-tour-85861/index2.html

Thanks!

Andy

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I'm after a huge favour if anyone can help. I am trying to organise a comparison between an original idol and a Gobler Idol. This would involve loaning out a Gobler Idol for someone else to take with them, to be able to do a side by side detailed comparison next to an original. No photos would be allowed, and we would just get a written comparison.

I know this is a huge ask, but if anyone in L.A. would be willing to do this if you could please drop me a pm. I don't want to say anymore on here just yet, but I will be able to answer any questions via pm.

Thanks,

Andy

Those were the two Idols I saw while at the archives. Also, the one on the left is exactly like the one I was able to study with its foam companion. Notice the silver in the nooks? Thats what I was told what mine would look like as well. BTW the Co is in Ca. They even new where the old ILM was in Van Nuys.

I understand that the props were created in the UK, I never said they were not. I only stated that some were shipped to Ca to be reworked for the production. It was a Co that ILM used in the past and they do all kinds of film work.

Hey Guys,

I'm still trying to get my head around all the idol info out there...

Going back over old posts Jeff stated the above info on page 4.

So if the idol on the left on page 4 is 'exactly' like the one Jeff was able to study with its foam companion. Does this mean the two idols in California at the metalising company have the turned down mouth???

I know there are photos out there of at least one of these idols, is anybody in a position to share these photos??

Thanks,

Andy

I'm always on the lookout for info on the original idol props, today I came across this:

Papers Please - Collectible Documents & Militaria - The REAL INDY JONES GOLDEN IDOL from FIRST MOVIE (1989)

Now I know this has the hair band, but it's always interesting to read what other people have out there!

That is not a production nor screen used idol. It is called a Jones FX Idol. I am not entirely sure of the origins but I had one exactly like this years ago. The metalizing on it is more silvery than gold. Here is mine in my old display:

Img_0191.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back