Padawan Saber

Thank The Maker

Jr Member
Wanted to share something I've been working away at for the last month or so.

My wife and I had our first child last September and like any good father I decided my little padawan needed her own lightsaber.

I've always loved the OT aesthetic and wanted to build something in that spirit using an old flash gun. Luckily I already owned a Minicam Jr flash gun which is perfect for a padawan sized saber.

As well as the saber itself I wanted to make a suitably 'in-universe' way to store it so after convincing my wife to give up an old wooden jewelry box I set to work.

I didn't really have a plan for the saber itself. I had seen the minicam jr used for Even Piells lightsaber but I wanted something more fancy and more old Republic/ancient feeling. I also wanted to repurpose an old green LED torch I had so I needed to add some length.

First thing I did was to remove the guts and install a piece of aluminium tube to create an emitter section. After some shaping, drilling and tapping I had it installed with many of the original flash gun parts back in place.

PXL_20210222_212000271.jpg

I added a brass thumb screw and a brass collar which came off an old lamp fitting. The clamp card is the display from an old LED calculator I had picked up, which felt suitably Old Republic so I followed that path. I had seen people using brass 'grips' in the 'show your custom saber' thread and that felt like the right choice here so I grabbed a length of C - profile brass.

PXL_20210309_211346575.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210309_211358498.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210309_211431326.PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20210309_214708.jpg

I was really liking how it was coming together so I wired a battery and the green LED end of a cheapo torch directly to the switch on the end of the flash gun.

PXL_20210309_211549042.PORTRAIT.jpg

Once I had the saber built I moved on to the box which would hold it. I had a 3d printed jedi order keyfob which I paired with a large toothed ring thing (I believe it was part of a lens assembly from an old cinecam?). I used a forstner bit to drill out a recess for them both.

PXL_20210222_211855205.jpg

The lid still looked too plain for me so I took the short version of the jedi code (Emotion, yet peace. Ignorance, yet knowledge. Passion, yet serenity. Chaos, yet harmony. Death, yet the Force.) and after converting it to Aurebesh I etched it around the perimeter before colouring it with a gold Sharpie.

PXL_20210309_211157115.PORTRAIT.jpg

The interior was painted with a very dark green acrylic and then padded out with foam which was covered with some dark green velvet.

PXL_20210309_211309067.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

The last thing I wanted to do was hide the key hole. It was too recognisable and since the key was long since lost it couldn't be used anyway. I figured I would try and make something that looked like a complex ancient mechanical locking mechanism so some styrene, brass rub and buff and a few brass greeblies were assembled and fit to the box.

PXL_20210309_211236658.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210309_211224889.PORTRAIT.jpg

Overall I'm super happy with how it turned out and if my daughter decides she's not that into Star Wars I guess I'll always have this to play with to help soften my disappointment.

PXL_20210309_211701183.PORTRAIT.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• PXL_20210222_212000271.jpg
    PXL_20210222_212000271.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 96
WOW! The saber is quite cool, and I really like what you did with the box. The dovetailed corners really add to the ancient/crafted feel of it, and you choice for the emblem and engraving are spot-on.

I have a plan to make a "light-dagger"- essentially a short saber, but I want the plastic blade to pop out and light up then it comes out (maybe sound too, but space may be a problem). So, you push the release and it lights and a spring pops the "blade" out. My latest ADHD fueled idea.... I'm going to need some help from the community I think.

Hopefully she will actually like SW. I had my niece watch them when she was probably 8. She watched ANH and ESB, then declared them boring. She does like the Clone Wars and The Mandalorian, so there's some hope I guess!

Thanks for the comments everyone.
I have a plan to make a "light-dagger"
Nice idea. But I wouldn't know where to begin getting a spring loaded blade and all the electronics inside a hilt?! Battery, switch and LED is about all I can currently wrap my head around. I'd like to try adding some sound to my next build though. I find the best approach is to build up to anything really ambitious with many separate elements. Maybe try a spring loaded vibroblade or something? Then perhaps a simple light install in a saber hilt, once you've gone through both processes im sure you'll some valuable skills and a much better idea of how to marry the two up. Good luck though.

Hopefully she will actually like SW.
Fingers crossed, although I'm finding it hard to stop fiddling with this saber so if it ends up being mine I wouldn't mind too much.

That's a fantastic design. Congratulations, both on the saber and the kid.

Where'd you pick up the C-profile brass?
Thanks a lot, very happy with both ☺️

The c-profile brass was just from eBay. It was listed as 'Albion Alloys Brass C Chanel' in the UK.

It might look a little narrow on a regular sized flash gun although I believe they did go up to 12mm? This stuff is 8mm.

Very nice work! Shaping the emitter really, REALLY makes this pop. So many flashes just end in a cut tube and they don't have that "other worldly business end" look to them

That is an AWESOME lightsaber! I am sooooo tired of seeing anodized aluminum cylinders that are turned on the lathe and called a lightsaber.... This one looks more legit than any I'v seen in a LONG time! I'd love to build it, do you have a parts list/build guide?

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I wasn't getting notified about these responses so didn't realise this thread was still being viewed

That is an AWESOME lightsaber! I am sooooo tired of seeing anodized aluminum cylinders that are turned on the lathe and called a lightsaber.... This one looks more legit than any I'v seen in a LONG time! I'd love to build it, do you have a parts list/build guide?

As for a parts list it's really just the original flash, a length of aluminium tube which fit snugly inside, a brass thumb screw and the brass c-channel that I listed above. I'm sure there are a hundred ways to go about building it so if you can get your hands on the flash I'd love to see what what you do with it.

In other news, we are expecting our second child in April so I'm already on the hunt for another padawan sized flash to use as a base for the next build....watch this space.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back