Parts for Galactica and Mel Falcon. Need Measurements.

bwayne64

Master Member
Hey wanted to see if someone who has the Bandai 1/24 M60A1, would measure these parts and take some high res pics of them. I have a kit scan but it's low res. Want to build this in 3d for printing and need to know the size. Thanks to anyone who can help, ; )

Bandai Bottom Parts.jpg

Here's some photos. I took from as many angles as I could. Part number 31 & 32 are going to be a little complicated to measure for you. It's possible, but they are curved pretty drastically in both directions. My cutting mat is labeled in "inches", every square is a half inch. I have the calipers here if you let me know what you're looking for.

IMG_0159.JPGIMG_0158.JPGIMG_0161.JPGIMG_0162.JPGIMG_0170.JPGIMG_0171.JPGIMG_0154.JPGIMG_0152.JPGIMG_0156.JPGIMG_0157.JPGIMG_0166.JPGIMG_0169.JPGIMG_0165.JPGIMG_0168.JPGIMG_0156.JPGIMG_0157.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0163.JPG
    IMG_0163.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 105
I just took what I can. A lot of pics. Those 2 pieces are going to be complicated, but hopefully I have got every angle you need to make it work. Ended up breaking one off the sprue, and I was trying so hard! :) Modeling that is gonna be a pain in the butt! Haha! God Speed!

(Some of the pics look like the caliper is open too wide... I locked the numbers in. The calipers tipped back and laid flat, it's only an optical illusion because the part is laying below the caliper and camera is on an angle. It's a regular camera with the shutter button on the right and a manual lens, so I had to lay the calipers down to take the photos. Measurements are good in all the photos.)

IMG_0172.JPGIMG_0173.JPGIMG_0174.JPGIMG_0175.JPGIMG_0176.JPGIMG_0177.JPGIMG_0178.JPGIMG_0179.JPGIMG_0180.JPGIMG_0181.JPGIMG_0182.JPGIMG_0183.JPGIMG_0184.JPGIMG_0185.JPGIMG_0186.JPGIMG_0187.JPGIMG_0188.JPGIMG_0189.JPGIMG_0190.JPGIMG_0191.JPGIMG_0192.JPGIMG_0193.JPGIMG_0194.JPGIMG_0195.JPGIMG_0195.JPGIMG_0196.JPGIMG_0197.JPGIMG_0198.JPGIMG_0199.JPGIMG_0200.JPGIMG_0201.JPGIMG_0202.JPGIMG_0203.JPGIMG_0204.JPGIMG_0205.JPGIMG_0206.JPGIMG_0207.JPGIMG_0208.JPGIMG_0209.JPGIMG_0210.JPGIMG_0211.JPGIMG_0212.JPGIMG_0213.JPGIMG_0215.JPGIMG_0216.JPGIMG_0217.JPGIMG_0218.JPGIMG_0219.JPGIMG_0220.JPGIMG_0221.JPGIMG_0222.JPG

Last edited:
Sure, I think that can be done. The problem with stls, is once they're in the wild, you have people selling them the next day, lol.

Sure, I think that can be done. The problem with stls, is once they're in the wild, you have people selling them the next day, lol.

You're a good man! Nope, no sellin' nothin'. I'm working on this:

DSCN0455.jpg

See MY M60 parts on there... hand made.

Most everything you see that ain't Moebius white... hand made.

Check here real quick:

If you're working on some of these parts, I wouldn't have to scratch build so much.

Mr. Analyzer has been following along in my thread and has stepped up and volunteered to learn how to do some of the printing stuff, but if you're already working on it...

See my point?

Wouldn't go anywhere else.

Rob.

ESPECIALLY if you'll be doing a Morser Karl and a Leopold. MAN, that would help.

DSCN0325.jpg

You ain't gotta, just say no, but I saw you were doing some and many others won't even talk about it. If they do, they want a big dollars.
Rob.

Hey I'll pm you later. My comment wasn't directed at you or any other builders here. We all share and share alike. ; )

Especially for a fellow Big G lover, lol.

Those look great and you're making quick work of it in my eyes anyways! Need to get the 64-bit version of Windows! Haha! jk.

How are those programs to work in, compared to Fusion? I've never looked at Lightwave, or Cura's slicer. I've got tons of 2D design under my belt in CorelDraw and Illustrator, but haven't dabbled in any 3D yet. I'm guessing I'll have to do a couple things for the Falcon 3D printed. From what I can tell so far maybe the cockpit nose window, and maybe the turret windows, maybe the gun barrels themselves too. But there's so much other work to do, I'm trying to figure out how the heck do you find the time to 3D model too between all the research, kit collecting, and building. We all must be a little crazy, I think!

Those look great and you're making quick work of it in my eyes anyways! Need to get the 64-bit version of Windows! Haha! jk.

How are those programs to work in, compared to Fusion? I've never looked at Lightwave, or Cura's slicer. I've got tons of 2D design under my belt in CorelDraw and Illustrator, but haven't dabbled in any 3D yet. I'm guessing I'll have to do a couple things for the Falcon 3D printed. From what I can tell so far maybe the cockpit nose window, and maybe the turret windows, maybe the gun barrels themselves too. But there's so much other work to do, I'm trying to figure out how the heck do you find the time to 3D model too between all the research, kit collecting, and building. We all must be a little crazy, I think!
Well I've been using Lightwave since the early 90s, so I'm kinda stuck with it. I want to switch to Fusion 360. Lightwave is not a parametric modeler. It's more for Cgi for tv and movies. Not really a precise cad setup. I can make it do what I want, but it hurts us both, lol. And yes we are a little bit crazy, some of us more than others, ; )

Question for anyone viewing this thread. Does anyone build in the ejector pin marks on their 3d parts. It's easy enough to put them there. Most are on the bottom when glued down, so probably not visible. Just curious. Guess you'd have to be pretty anal to do that, but some of us are, lol.

P.S. For anyone who doesn't know what ejector pin marks are. On the molds for injection molding, there are metal pins that push the parts from the mold. They leave a round mark on the parts. Most of the folks here know this, so I'm not being a smarty pants. This was for those who don't know. Your welcome, ; )

Last edited:
I haven't as yet entered the printing world, but if I was, yes I would include them (if they would show on the finished model of course).

That figures Joe. Both parts can't be the same, can they?! Not in our world! Haha! Looking great! Do you still need to do the bottom level, or just have it turned off? It figures you need to build up 3 layers there. Complicated little b@st@rd. Gives me a headache just thinking about part 31 and 32. Ugh!

Hope you feel better soon!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back