Pirates of the Caribbean 6?

The Last Starfighter is owned by Universal, so those fans don’t have to worry about Disney.

IMG_3290.jpeg

Universal Studios seems like it’s been doing better than Disney. So, the chances of Disney owning The Last Starfighter any time seems unlikely.
But have they? Their big ip is harry potter which has worked well in a decade, how to teain your dragon which has been mia nearly a decade, and jurrasic park/world which i dont recall how well thw last one did. Not the poster child for success really.

Future plans are redoing hp on hbo as a series, pushing worl even further away from spielberg, and redoing httyd as live action. Sounds like the same thi g disney has been doing of late and what they are being taken to task for here - no new ideas and just mining exist ip to death.

'Fast & Furious' is another Universal property in steep decline. 10-12 years ago it was their biggest-earning franchise and now it's struggling.

It's the usual story. If they were still doing mid-grade $140m street racing movies then it would be fine. But it's giving out under the load of being a $300m tentpole series.

Last edited:
You know, it's bold to assume that Disney will still have any money to buy The Last Starfighter, considering everything going on with them. XD

You know, it's bold to assume that Disney will still have any money to buy The Last Starfighter, considering everything going on with them. XD
Disney still has a lot of money from their parks etc, and that is their problem. Bob Iger started buying up IPs in the first place because he had no creative fuel to take Disney anywhere and banked on buying baked-in fans from other IPs. In fact he was so confident that the fanbase would mindlessly follow he thought he could fire key creatives (e.g. John Lassiter, Ike Perlmutter, James Gunn, as well as many seasoned animators and writers etc.) and replace them with inexperienced (cheaper) writers, animators etc. fresh out of college who wouldn't challenge his authority, or ideological allies (Kathleen Kennedy, Kevin Feige etc.) and "yes-men" (Disney's current board).

The success of, say PIXAR films, under his early reign reflect the work that went into the productions before he came along. Now Disney is untethered to the foundation of talent on which it once rested. There is no more magic. Bob Iger is still trying to wring what is left out the remaing hopeful fans because, without creative vision, that's all he can do. His next phase with animation is all about cheap sequels (I mean, literally, to where Disney will rely more on their Television animation department to work on feature films.), while Indiana Jones, Pirates and Willow are all but dead and, the MCU and Star Wars are eroding before our very eyes. Bob has neither love for the IPs nor for the Disney legacy. He is just trying to milk any remaining value he can.

Last edited:
Disney is doing just fine and will continue to do just fine when you and I are long gone. Where they may fail in one area at times, they more than make up for it in others. People seem to just be blinded by hate for them that they like to project that the company is on the brink of bankruptcy.

Fact is, Disney gross profit for the twelve months ending December 31, 2023 was $30.533B, a 8.29% increase year-over-year. Disney annual gross profit for 2023 was $29.697B, a 4.86% increase from 2022. Disney annual gross profit for 2022 was $28.321B, a 27.07% increase from 2021.

Again… they are doing just fine. ;)

Disney is doing just fine and will continue to do just fine when you and I are long gone. Where they may fail in one area at times, they more than make up for it in others. People seem to just be blinded by hate for them that they like to project that the company is on the brink of bankruptcy.

Fact is, Disney gross profit for the twelve months ending December 31, 2023 was $30.533B, a 8.29% increase year-over-year. Disney annual gross profit for 2023 was $29.697B, a 4.86% increase from 2022. Disney annual gross profit for 2022 was $28.321B, a 27.07% increase from 2021.

If only we could get some anti-trust laws enforced. That was the downfall of many of the large studios from the "Golden Age" of Hollywood.

Keep in mind that Disney's revenue relies heavily on the consistent profitability of Disney Theme Parks, representing at least 60% of their operating income even as other sectors falter. Where we see the damage is in Disney's other segments (e.g. Direct to Consumer, Disney Content Sales/Licensing etc) which aren't reflected as much in global earnings.

But the resilience of Disney's gross profit in 2023 doesn't only reflect earnings. Gross profit can also be attributed to other short term moves to bolster profits. Since the parks are so profitable Bob Iger knows he can always ream the money spigot by increasing park prices - which he did. Bob also cut costs by firing over 7000 Disney employees across two rounds of layoffs in 2023. (Interestingly he also gave himself a raise from $15M in 2022 to $31M in 2023.)

Iger had to pull those moves because, the moment income drops, investors will start to bail. But layoffs, cost-cutting (e.g. closing California animation studios in favor of their Canadian TV animation division) and price-gouging is not a sustainable business model in the long run for Disney. On top of that, Disney is also starting to have serious competition in the theme park segments from Universal etc., but that's another story.

It's entirely possible for Disney to sustain itself on the parks alone in the end. I think Disney is nowhere near death, but that's a far cry from the soaring growth it once had. And even if the parks flourish, that doesn't make me happy for the IPs, including Disney legacy properties, that were chewed up and spat out by Iger and his lackeys.

Last edited:
Disney is doing just fine and will continue to do just fine when you and I are long gone.
I take it you haven’t seen their Super Bowl as. XD

My point is that everyone thinks they’re doing okay. But the fact is no one can predict the future. And considering all the legal troubles that the company has had and reported to be heading into, I’d be surprised if they manage to still be around in five years.

You laugh, but keep this in mind: Rome wasn’t built in a day, but it fell in one. That’s all I’m saying. Even Disney isn’t excluded from the possibility of failure, considering everything they’ve reported about money they’ve lost (and the reports of being sued for gender discrimination in addition to the upcoming one with Gina Carano). All we can do is wait and see if they’ll continue to sink, or if they’ll finally start swimming in the right direction again.

Last edited:
You laugh, but keep this in mind: Rome wasn’t built in a day, but it fell in one. That’s all I’m saying. Even Disney isn’t excluded from the possibility of failure, considering everything they’ve reported about money they’ve lost. All we can do is wait and see if they’ll continue to sink, or if they’ll finally start swimming in the right direction again.

Like any relationship, earning devotion and trust can take years; but all of that can be lost in an instant.

Even Disney apologists have to recognize that the company is in uncharted territory in a new role as a “divisive company”. There is a huge divide between the company that I grew up with and the company of today.

Last edited:
You laugh, but keep this in mind: Rome wasn’t built in a day, but it fell in one.
Side note here, but, no it didn't. Like, not even close. Nobody, even Gibbon, took that view.
That’s all I’m saying. Even Disney isn’t excluded from the possibility of failure, considering everything they’ve reported about money they’ve lost (and the reports of being sued for gender discrimination in addition to the upcoming one with Gina Carano). All we can do is wait and see if they’ll continue to sink, or if they’ll finally start swimming in the right direction again.
Disney isn't immune from failure, but stuff like the Carano suit and Marvel's difficulties this year aren't really the main stressors on the company.

To the extent that Disney "falls," it won't be because "Gina Carano filed a lawsuit." Even if she wins, the amount they'd have to pay her is a drop in the bucket compared to what they spend to make a movie. And Disney won't "fail" because of its perceived political attitudes, either. If it "falls" at all, as opposed to having some bad quarters and then adjusting, it'll be because of much larger shifts within the industry as a whole, coupled with consumer tendencies more broadly that have less to do with the stuff people love to complain about here, and way more to do with larger economic forces (e.g., people not having the disposable income to go to the movies when the price of the experience is like $100 to bring a family of 4 for an evening's entertainment anymore).

Side note here, but, no it didn't. Like, not even close. Nobody, even Gibbon, took that view.

Disney isn't immune from failure, but stuff like the Carano suit and Marvel's difficulties this year aren't really the main stressors on the company.

To the extent that Disney "falls," it won't be because "Gina Carano filed a lawsuit." Even if she wins, the amount they'd have to pay her is a drop in the bucket compared to what they spend to make a movie. And Disney won't "fail" because of its perceived political attitudes, either. If it "falls" at all, as opposed to having some bad quarters and then adjusting, it'll be because of much larger shifts within the industry as a whole, coupled with consumer tendencies more broadly that have less to do with the stuff people love to complain about here, and way more to do with larger economic forces (e.g., people not having the disposable income to go to the movies when the price of the experience is like $100 to bring a family of 4 for an evening's entertainment anymore).
Let’s do a check list:
1. The upcoming Carano lawsuit.
2. Gender discrimination lawsuits that have just started.
3. Losing 1.3 million subscribers to Disney+ after raising the subscription prices
4. Losing their trillion dollar lawsuit against Florida.
5. The Marvels Box office failure
6. Low attendance in the parks.
7. The writer’s strike causing delays in productions.

And you’re telling me all of that isn’t going to cause Disney to sweat. Okay. If you say so.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back