Interest Plating-P/C scraped. Possible Anodizing anyone?

Murdoch

Sr Member
Looking to see what type of interest that this may garner. I am looking into possibly starting a plating/powder coating service related to props as an alternative to painting.
I am a plater by trade, have been for 10 yrs now. I also have 10yrs experience in the gold and gem industry. So i thought that this would be an exciting service. One that does'nt seem to be currently available. So please if this is a service that you would be interested in, just let me know. I am trying to gauge how much interest is out there as a way to see weather i should invest in the resources and tools to take this on. I just want to say thank-you for your time...GMurdoch

Last edited:
Re: Plating/Powder coating

I should've been more descriptive. I would be looking at plating metal and non-metal objects...GM

I think you need to give us an idea of what you expect pricing to be based on size and material of item, and people would probably be able to give you an idea of interest.
Having something metal (steel for instance), that is the size of a car bumper professionally triple chrome plated, can be $300-$500 (including descaling, filling, polishing, etc). But plating resin/plastic is a bit different. Many people that buy a plastic helm for $100-$180 probably won't be willing to spend $500 on plating (if that's what it costs, I'm just spitballing here) PLUS shipping back and forth. Especially when you consider that a can of spray paint or a tube of rub-n-buff is $8 at your local hobby store.
I'm not saying that people won't be willing to pay a lot for a mirror chrome or gold look, but there is a whole range of what people can afford and what they are willing to pay. If you gave an idea of an example of:
A single plastic object the size and detail of an M1911 plated in gold is $40. A single metal object that same size is $80. A full face helmet (1 piece) in plastic/resin/fiberglass like a storm trooper or medieval great helm is $150...etc.
I think if people had a rough idea of the cost based on size and detail of the services included (I assume on metal pieces you descale, remove old plating, acid bath it, and do some filling and polishing). It would give people a better idea of what they would be willing to invest in.
I've had car pieces chromed, but the services included cleaning, removing old chrome, descaling, filling the pot metal pits, buff and polish and show quality triple-chrome plating. It was about 15 years ago, and the pricing was about $25-35 for each 2"x3" piece. Shipping was negligable. I was having about a dozen pieces done and I think it was about $300 all totaled. So it was fine.
Now if I send you an assembled plastic model, are you going to smooth it out for me, or do I have to make sure it's super smooth? I think we just need details like that to give a really honest answer.
Am I interested in having stuff plated? Yes. But am I willing to buy your services? I have no idea.
-Terry

I think you need to give us an idea of what you expect pricing to be based on size and material of item, and people would probably be able to give you an idea of interest.
Having something metal (steel for instance), that is the size of a car bumper professionally triple chrome plated, can be $300-$500 (including descaling, filling, polishing, etc). But plating resin/plastic is a bit different. Many people that buy a plastic helm for $100-$180 probably won't be willing to spend $500 on plating (if that's what it costs, I'm just spitballing here) PLUS shipping back and forth. Especially when you consider that a can of spray paint or a tube of rub-n-buff is $8 at your local hobby store.
I'm not saying that people won't be willing to pay a lot for a mirror chrome or gold look, but there is a whole range of what people can afford and what they are willing to pay. If you gave an idea of an example of:
A single plastic object the size and detail of an M1911 plated in gold is $40. A single metal object that same size is $80. A full face helmet (1 piece) in plastic/resin/fiberglass like a storm trooper or medieval great helm is $150...etc.
I think if people had a rough idea of the cost based on size and detail of the services included (I assume on metal pieces you descale, remove old plating, acid bath it, and do some filling and polishing). It would give people a better idea of what they would be willing to invest in.
I've had car pieces chromed, but the services included cleaning, removing old chrome, descaling, filling the pot metal pits, buff and polish and show quality triple-chrome plating. It was about 15 years ago, and the pricing was about $25-35 for each 2"x3" piece. Shipping was negligable. I was having about a dozen pieces done and I think it was about $300 all totaled. So it was fine.
Now if I send you an assembled plastic model, are you going to smooth it out for me, or do I have to make sure it's super smooth? I think we just need details like that to give a really honest answer.
Am I interested in having stuff plated? Yes. But am I willing to buy your services? I have no idea.
-Terry
Well Terry i have to be quite honest with you. I would think that pricing would be based on size, difficulty and material. But i would want everyone to know that i would want this be as affordable as i can make it. Shipping costs i have no idea at this moment. But i am attempting to keep everything in house. Some shops have to send pieces out to be copper plated, that alone drives up the price. Right now i am on my way to source out equipment for this. I am sorry however that i cannot give a dallor amount specifically at the moment. I can tell you that i am a chrome plater with experience in tin, zinc, copper and cadmium. I do have experience in preparation of the pieces- stripping polishing ect. I mean this type of work will be new but the foundation is sound and with 100% confidence i believe this is a viable plan. I don't have all the answers yet but i will. Thank-you very much for taking the time with your inquiry...GM

Would be a great service if practical for you at affordable prices. Looking forward to more info.

I saw in interesting video on Tested by Adam Savage on metal plating his resin endoskeleton (first sprayed with a copper rich paint I believe) Can you do this type of plating on non metallic items?

I saw in interesting video on Tested by Adam Savage on metal plating his resin endoskeleton (first sprayed with a copper rich paint I believe) Can you do this type of plating on non metallic items?
The only way to plate non metallic items is with powder coating it copper first. Also aluminum needs copper plating as well...GM

Last edited:

Would I be able to send you a resin piece or two and have you play around with them?

Would I be able to send you a resin piece or two and have you play around with them?
That is'nt needed at this time. At the moment i am only trying to gather information to see weather i should go foward with this. I simply don't want to invest the monies and the time on a venture that would see me lose on that investment. Now that being said, i not looking at this as my personal golden egg or anything as such. Do i want to make money, yes absolutely and who does'nt. But as i said from the beginning, this has to be affordable for the consumer. I am after all a fan first so pricing is important to me. Thank-you very much for your offer, but right now i am just gathering as much info as i can to try and make this possible...GM

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 141
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 131

Polyurethane can defiantly be chromed, I set up RPF member darkseid with a complete set of arms to be chromed for his MRK II,they were cast from smooth cast 320. from what he told me it was expensive. Here is a link to his thread.
http://www.therpf.com/f78/darkseids...or-showcase-updated-28-01-12-page-3-a-100548/
I remember reading that some time ago. I am a chrome plater-hard chrome, not decrative. But i am familliar, basically you start with copper plating then nickel and then chrome but putting chrome to nickel is a chore in itself...GM

I remember reading that some time ago. I am a chrome plater-hard chrome, not decrative. But i am familliar, basically you start with copper plating then nickel and then chrome but putting chrome to nickel is a chore in itself...GM

Not totally sure how the process works but he was concerned with the melting point of 320 as it had to go into a series of hot chemical baths, but the 320 had a high melting point so it worked out great

Not totally sure how the process works but he was concerned with the melting point of 320 as it had to go into a series of hot chemical baths, but the 320 had a high melting point so it worked out great
2014-07-10060251_zpsffcf7c0f.jpg

What you are looking at is the small tank here at work, about 700 Lt tank. The average temp should be 130°c, so no polymers of anykind in my tenure here have melted. Now this is a chrome tank. Zinc has about 12, copper 15-17 baths. Each application has a different process. My tank is about 1400 Lt, 4 X 4 X 8. Gold tanks can be the size of a case of beer, 6pk...

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back