Post pics of your own 3D creations (not purchased)

I posted this over in the 'Sculpture and Makeup Effects' section, but I figured I'd repost here for folks that don't tend to hit that section. My 3D sculpt of Paul Newman from "The Color of Money." Pretty much done, but I still need to do more to complete it for printing. It's going to be a NECA figure replacement head and a stand-alone bust as well. Also modeled two different pairs of glasses for him.
View attachment 1771539View attachment 1771540View attachment 1771541View attachment 1771543View attachment 1771542

Looks just like him.

TazMan2000

View attachment 1771476
Not 100% accurate, but I made a quick engine replacement for the old Monogram Buck Rogers starfighter model that's been in my stash for decades. There's simply no way I could scratch build something like this.
That could also be modded into a warhead.

Something I was wondering.

Is there a program by which you could scan model parts, and then drag and drop features--with a 3D print/mold coming from that?

Say you could drag a slot from an AMT Enterprise back and at a higher angle...rotate the details of AMT nacelles virtually?

Last edited:
Ok I lied again, she is so close to done! I painted it with an automotive spray can matte,but it was pretty shiny and took forever to dry. This is just Mr surfaces 1500 black, which is exactly the sheen I wanted. It’s a bit fragile, but I don’t want to risk a topcoat, so after I finish getting the photoetch lights and windshield in it’s going under ‘glass’ she isn’t perfect, but she’s big and 100% mine from polygons to pixels to print to paint! Hope you like it, thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_1809.jpeg
    IMG_1809.jpeg
    518.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1810.jpeg
    IMG_1810.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1812.jpeg
    IMG_1812.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1813.jpeg
    IMG_1813.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1814.jpeg
    IMG_1814.jpeg
    684.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1815.jpeg
    IMG_1815.jpeg
    848.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1818.jpeg
    IMG_1818.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 56
Ooh neat. I have one of these and hadn’t thought of that. Seeing as you modeled this,you might as well model the rest and print it 1/24 scale!

Ha! The thought crossed my mind. If I didn't already have the kit, I'd just 3D print all of it, but this is one of those kits from childhood that I knew even in 1979 was inaccurate in multiple ways. I didn't have the skills then to fix all those errors, but now I do. So I can either accomplish what I wanted to do 45 years ago and get closure or go to therapy. :p

This is my big project at the moment. The Negh'Var, a klingon Warship at 1/1000 scale.
It will be big: about 68 cm / 27" long, 53 parts and need over 2000 ml of resin to print…

Ok I lied again, she is so close to done! I painted it with an automotive spray can matte,but it was pretty shiny and took forever to dry. This is just Mr surfaces 1500 black, which is exactly the sheen I wanted. It’s a bit fragile, but I don’t want to risk a topcoat, so after I finish getting the photoetch lights and windshield in it’s going under ‘glass’ she isn’t perfect, but she’s big and 100% mine from polygons to pixels to print to paint! Hope you like it, thanks for looking.
It's a beauty for sure:cool::cool:(y)(y)It's looking cool and mean at the same time!

Thank joberg. I finally got ‘headlights’ , the interior and windshields installed. I have to figure out brake lights a light for the jet engine and the little side windows and I’ll post up the final pics.

1/1000 & 1/1400 Klingon Negh'Var:
All head parts are complete test printed. Got an issue with some Cinema4d export bugs (reversed polygon normals) on the bridge, so some details are inverse instead of embossed.
But the part fits fine. Also the gun printed nice.
20231229_115820.jpg20231229_115913.jpg20231229_115951.jpg20231229_115703.jpg

I'm doing a cross-section of a 35x228mm round, used on the Oerlikon cannon, particularly on the Gepard SPAAG. This is a close approximation to the Kinetic Energy Timed Fuze KETF Projectile, which gets its fuze programmed while it's being fired out of the barrel at the muzzle. I still have to figure out a way to do the gun powder, which I think I may be able to do in Blender.

Cross Section 35mm Kinetic Energy Time Fuze.png

TazMan2000

I'm doing a cross-section of a 35x228mm round, used on the Oerlikon cannon, particularly on the Gepard SPAAG. This is a close approximation to the Kinetic Energy Timed Fuze KETF Projectile, which gets its fuze programmed while it's being fired out of the barrel at the muzzle. I still have to figure out a way to do the gun powder, which I think I may be able to do in Blender.

View attachment 1774368

TazMan2000
Oh wowo_O(y)(y) I used to give French lesson to a person at DND; he was the main buyer for all kind of ammunitions for the CAF.
He had some of those cross-sections (not that one) of an array of different projectile. Very interesting indeed!!

Maybe I'm late at the party, but I wanted to show you my modular 3D printed system to build spaceships, BYOS, Build Your Own Spaceship.
Here goes some spaceships created using modules that can be assembled the way you want.
I hope you will like it!
And Happy New year!

View attachment 1773925
View attachment 1773926
View attachment 1773927
View attachment 1773928
View attachment 1773929
View attachment 1773930
That’s what I was hoping Snap Ships would be.

Now for some saucers with a raised…er…ah…control room up top, struts…cigar hulls and…um…rocket tubes…that’s the ticket…Morgan Fairchild…

As for the SPAAG…that’s SLS Block 3 ;)

I never tried Blender, since I wasted too much time with other software, so I just went and designed the powder with TinkerCad. It worked, although if the processing power to do this resides on Autodesk servers, I think I broke them. It took hours to boolean those together. Each small cylinder has 64 wall segments. I guessed at the grain size and shape, but for something this size, it seems plausible.

I need to tweak some other parts but basically it's done.

35mm cross section.png

TazMan2000

Last edited:
I never tried Blender, since I wasted too much time with other software, so I just went and designed the powder with TinkerCad. It worked, although if the processing power to do this resides on Autodesk servers, I think I broke them. Each small cylinder has 64 wall segments. I guessed at the grain size and shape, but for something this size, it seems plausible.

I need to tweak some other parts but basically it's done.

View attachment 1777680

TazMan2000
Looks mean and lethal Taz:cool::cool:(y)(y)

A few 3D renders of a concept Imperial transport I built in Blender in 2022, which I plan on scratchbuilding from styrene, etc, now that I've got back into analogue modelling after decades of doing CGI. I have no access to a 3D printer so the greebles will be... errmm... fun to make and approximated. Very approximated :cautious:

Attachments

• JimBowers_SW_Imperial_ship_31a_wings_up_render1_fix.jpg
    JimBowers_SW_Imperial_ship_31a_wings_up_render1_fix.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 64
  • JimBowers_SW_Imperial_ship_31_wings_down_render2.jpg
    JimBowers_SW_Imperial_ship_31_wings_down_render2.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 54
  • JimBowers_SW_Imperial_ship_31_wings_down_render1.jpg
    JimBowers_SW_Imperial_ship_31_wings_down_render1.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 52

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back