Prop party announcements.

Howard

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Can we have a separate page for Prop party announcements?
At the moment we have five threads stuck at the top of the Prop Forum page – okay –they concern props and by definition are not ‘Off Topic,’ but sticking them in ‘Off Topic’ or giving them their own corner of the forum would make the front page so much more uncluttered.
ItÂ’s just a pain to have to scroll down every time I log in to see whatÂ’s new in the Prop threads, and these posts make the front page untidy.
Okay – the same could be said if these announcements were put in ‘Off Topic’ but I’m sure everyone would agree we’re here for the props, and not the ‘Off Topic’ threads.
Failing that – put them in ‘Announcements and News’ as this is surely what they are?

Thanks for reading.

Howard.

Howard,

I think the number of stuck threads the last few weeks have been a little much, too. It's unusual to have that many prop parties all at the same time, but I guess it was bound to happen at some point.

The Staff made a decision some time ago to make prop parties something of a priority around these parts... and if you've ever had the opportunity to attend one, then you already know why. :) There is nothing more fun in this hobby than to get together with like-minded people and talk shop. Not only do you get to see all the eye-candy, but you can learn a great deal from other builders and collectors.

And even though most of our other forums get plenty of attention, the Prop Forum is without a doubt the place that gets the most traffic. Since we want to really promote prop parties, that's where we've decided to post the announcements. Hopefully, we won't have 4 or 5 parties going at the same time too often. ;)

We have some criteria that we've followed in the past about stuck threads, and I think we've been lax in following those lately. The guidelines are a few years old, and probably need to be updated a little. You can read the existing guidelines here:

http://www.therpf.com/index.php?act=Help&CODE=01&HID=19

Hey Rocketeer25 - many thanks for the detailed reply.
I'm sorry it's taken so long to answer, but I've been up to my ears in BR research, Vader cut-away and, oh yeah, I honestly forgot.

I fully understand prop parties taking a priority - you guys are lucky over in the U.S. having such a community, something which is lacking in the U.K. - as it was pointed out in a recent thread asking for interested U.K. members for a get together. So much for that. :rolleyes

Thanks again and enjoy your get-togethers. I wish I could be there. Perhaps one day...

Howard.

Yes sir. We are just in the process of working out how to make sure attention gets to it so the parties don't go unnoticed before we move all the prop forum threads over.

I was a little disappointed. It is harder for interested parties to find the thread now.

I know it was a little cluttered but board policy for the last few years was to stick prop party threads for a month before the party in the main forum for maximum visibility.. Few people if any know about this new Community Gatherings forum. So much for maximum visibility. Now we're relegated to obscurity.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wuher da brewer @ Mar 10 2007, 06:28 PM) [snapback]1436878[/snapback]</div>
I was a little disappointed. It is harder for interested parties to find the thread now.

I know it was a little cluttered but board policy for the last few years was to stick prop party threads for a month before the party in the main forum for maximum visibility.. Few people if any know about this new Community Gatherings forum. So much for maximum visibility. Now we're relegated to obscurity.
[/b]

I know the staff are just trying to keep the main page of the prop forum uncluttered, but I have to admit to feeling the same way...

Maybe this can be used as a test to see how it goes, and go back to the old policy if it doesn't work out?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Howard @ Mar 10 2007, 09:01 AM) [snapback]1436515[/snapback]</div>
I've just noticed this:

http://www.therpf.com/index.php?showforum=43

Does this mean my idea has been adopted for the time being?
[/b]

yes Howard. You shall go down in RPF history as being the main influence in creating a new RPF forum. :D

I'm all about real life hobby interaction. I come from the old school collectors where handwritten correspondence was about as distant as one got. I loved the collectors shows, get togethers etc. Every piece on obtained had not only the history of original but a story of it's travel from collector to collector.

ebay made acquisition simple but at the loss of interaction between collectors and the accompanying "character" of each piece acquired.

I think it is why I now am attracted more to fan made replicas than licensed. fan made originated out of love for the film and props, it's not as great a meeting fellow collectors but does add warmth to the hobby.

One of these days iid like to see a forum section devoted to helping those who want to use their God given talents and enthusiasm in a career in prop or film related business. We have a lot of guys here who dream of contributing to something on screen, it'd be great to give them an avenue to follow.

Hi guys.
First let me say thank you for the wonderful job you all do running this forum. I really dont think you all get enough recognition for your time and efforts. :thumbsup

I'm chiming in to give my thoughts on the new Prop Party forum...
I dont know that I'm thrilled about it personally. It does seem like all the prop party threads have ground to a halt over there now...and I know that all of a sudden I stopped getting emails for the Toronto prop party too. I also understand that there was a few party threads stuck in the Prop section...which 'is' unusual but....I think removing them from the Prop section may be counter productive.

I do respect and understand the reason for moving it but...I'm a little worried now...no panic or anything..LOL..just noticed a significant drop in emails since it got moved over.

So..that's my side for now...:) ...but like I said..running a board of this size cant be easy and sometimes you need to test things to see if they'll help..whatever you decide to do, I'll stand behind it but for now, I hope you guys keep giving this some thought....:)

Your costume making insomniac brother.....and maybe a little skitzoid,
David ;)

Hear. Hear.

They definitely aren't getting the proper attention they deserve. There has yet to be one post to the D/FW thread since it was moved and I have to remember each day to check the Community Gatherings forum.

It was great for the few years that prop party threads were stuck for ONE MONTH. I would just as soon have the thread back in the main forum and not stuck. Though I would prefer business as usual prior to the new forum.

I mean come on, Who really uses the Community Gathering forum?

Besides, once the parties happen everyone likes to look through the threads for pictures. You know that is going to drop off considerably also.

Evan

The D/FW party is now only two weeks away.

I can understand Howard's point, but should we relegate all stuck threads to a new section? Every time a prominent member dies, or a prominent member's worthwhile charity function occurs, or each time a new moderator is selected, or each time registration reopens? It really isn't that big a deal. I have scroll on my mouse, plus arrow keys, page up and page down keys, home and end keys, and I also know how to use the mouse to click.

I feel like I'm being told to sit at the back of the restaurant so the other patrons don't see me.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back