Randy Cooper 38" Star Destroyer Kit

ONe of my main building halves is warped and it's throwing everything off. Maddening. I'm gonna have to heat it up and try to straighten it

ONe of my main building halves is warped and it's throwing everything off. Maddening. I'm gonna have to heat it up and try to straighten it

My main buildings seem to be okay. The top buildings are a little warp but putting them in hot water will cure it. The topmost forward piece was the worst but the hot water did the trick.

Lots of fitting, sanding, chiseling, etc. to get all of them to fit right but I'm pretty close now.

Doing the boring part, gap filling. Gonna get some 1/400 scale naval photo-etch to augment the side trenches and buildings.

Yeah, I'm gonna do the same with the buildings. Hot water. I got the upper and lower hull fitted nicely though I read some horror stories about the process. Everything is flush and I scratch built a new forward nose from 1/700 battleship parts. I'm bashing the entire model with those little tiny parts as well. Plenty of photo etched parts in both kits as well as a separate set I got for other details. I also cut into the backs of the trenches where they are thick for aiding in fiber optics which will be my next phase of this project. I'm also planning on using some photo etched cranes to create the "claw" in the belly bay.

Dave :)

My main buildings seem to be okay. The top buildings are a little warp but putting them in hot water will cure it. The topmost forward piece was the worst but the hot water did the trick.

Lots of fitting, sanding, chiseling, etc. to get all of them to fit right but I'm pretty close now.

Doing the boring part, gap filling. Gonna get some 1/400 scale naval photo-etch to augment the side trenches and buildings.

Chiseling??? OMG... NEVER even crossed my mind to bring a chisel withn 10 feet of any resin kit I ever built

I like that naval photo etch idea though...:thumbsup Not that it neesds more detail but its could be good to fill the gaps ;) But I haven't really had too many fit problems so far (knocking on wood)...

Jedi Dade

Got any pictures? Love to see how you did it. I just built a hull plate extension section for the top but not feeling the love

Here is a pic of the nose I built. It's not all that accurate, but it looks 10X better than the nose piece that came with mine. Mine suffered with lots of bubbles and even the original was a bit bulky and had less detail than what I wanted. The scratch building was fun. I used the parts from a USS Arizona kit by Dragon Models. It even came with photo etched details that are coming in quite handy. :)

img0812sk4.jpg

Here is a pic of the nose I built. It's not all that accurate, but it looks 10X better than the nose piece that came with mine. Mine suffered with lots of bubbles and even the original was a bit bulky and had less detail than what I wanted. The scratch building was fun. I used the parts from a USS Arizona kit by Dragon Models. It even came with photo etched details that are coming in quite handy. :)

Looks cool. I agree with you on the original nose piece. I don't think we can get 100% accuracy because the thickness of the hull plates anyway. Think I'm gonna go for the SSD nose look - extending the top and bottom hull peices beyond the front nose turrets with thinner styrene stock and adding greeblies and antenni.

i love this thread!

more pics guys!!

where do you all get the photo etched stuff?

i've never tried hot water, does this type of resin have 'memory' to bend back to it's orginal shape, or do you have to shape it?

Great Job guy's !!!

Yes I had a major bow, used some pieces of wood clamped on hull and sunk everything in a bath of hot water for a few minutes and let it cool down with clamps on, the hull came straight as a arrrow.

GFollano

Here's my nose mod so far. Think I need to extend it out and square it off. I was going for sort of a crank arrow tip but I don't know if it wrks. THe bottom would have a corresponding extension and both would have their inner surface built up with greeblies.

DSC01321.jpg

DSC01322.jpg

DSC01323.jpg

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back