Re-make of "Dune"

joberg

Legendary Member
Denis Villeneuve is in talk with Lengendary; seems that, according to the article in "Le Journal de Montreal" Villeneuve have always wanted to shoot Dune,since it's a movie that influenced him at an early age.
Over the years, he tried, without success, to do the movie. Now with Lengendary in charge, he just might make it.

I love Dune. (Subsequent books, less so.)

There are things about the David Lynch version I love, and things that bother me. The same with the SyFy series. (The Jodorowsky version would have been a train wreck of insane proportions.)

I'm cautiously optimistic about this, while still worried...

So.. it is the intention to draw inspiration from Lynch's movie, thus making it a remake?

I would like to see an ornithopter made right.

You guys are hilarious. I tried watching dune when I was around 15 years old, and I just couldnt do it. That movie was really hard to watch. I didnt even finish it cause I was so lost.

You guys are hilarious. I tried watching dune when I was around 15 years old, and I just couldnt do it. That movie was really hard to watch. I didnt even finish it cause I was so lost.

The Lynch film is visually fascinating although the special effects are terrible. It has this typical Lynch trippy vibe. The story is not well realized and is very different from the book. Give the Sci-Fi miniseries a look, the story makes better sense and is closer to the sorce material but the acting and cinematography can't match Lynch.

I thought the costumes (Bob Ringwood...Batman people, Batman:)) were great and the overall "ambiance" or look was very...Italian;) Acting was meh, (Sting anybody?)
I think that SRS wanted to do Dune also, so Villeneuve is just throwing his candidacy here and seeing what will transpire in the months to come...
A re-make would be welcomed at this point: special effect would be better now for sure (combination of physical model and CGI)...we'll see.

Picture this - it's a Harkonnen Dinner. A servant is pouring wine and accidentally slops some on the sleeve of a Harkonnen. Enraged the Harkonnen gets up, grasps the servants Heart Plug and pulls. Nothing happens other than the servant is tugged forward. Further enraged the Harkonnen pulls even harder on the Heart Plug, again nothing happens other than the servant is tugged along. The Harkonnen stalks off in a frustrated rage. The servant gives the camera a sly, sideways look and smirk, and holds up a tube of Crazy Glue.

Picture this - it's a Harkonnen Dinner. A servant is pouring wine and accidentally slops some on the sleeve of a Harkonnen. Enraged the Harkonnen gets up, grasps the servants Heart Plug and pulls. Nothing happens other than the servant is tugged forward. Further enraged the Harkonnen pulls even harder on the Heart Plug, again nothing happens other than the servant is tugged along. The Harkonnen stalks off in a frustrated rage. The servant gives the camera a sly, sideways look and smirk, and holds up a tube of Crazy Glue.

Oooh! Set it up like one of those old Drive In intermissions, complete with a song and dance number.

I love the look of the Lynch film. I still wish he'd revisit it to do a proper remastered/finished Director's Cut, rather than the unauthorized version he Alan Smithee'd himself off of. There was stuff in the theatrical release that works better, stuff in the extended cut that works better, not to mention the sloppy unfinished VFX shots (every frame with non-blue-eyed Fremen), the painful placeholder recycled footage, some sloppy cuts, etc. But overall, I love the casting, I love the production values, I love the score...

The SyFy miniseries hurt. The stillsuits the Fremen wore looked like tattered rags held together with spit and hope. Paul's best friend in the household was Gurney, but in this series it felt like they couldn't stand each other when they were in the same room. Doctor Yueh was revealed as the traitor (spoiler alert) in the same scene he was introduced, so there was no emotional impact to it. The Duke was just so blandly performed... And the Fremen's eyes glowed for pity's sake! The hell? No! Bad! It's just a stain, people. *sigh* The only thing I liked better, really, was the Sardukar uniforms.

As with Lord of the Rings, there were many attempts before even the versions we do have. Any new take has the potential to do right by the property or utterly drop the ball. We won't know until it happens.

--Jonah

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back