RESEARCH: X-WING CONTROL STICK

LOVE the video. Idk why but I love this prop a lot. The dots seem thicker than stickers. I was also wondering what structure goes beneath. I think you nailed the sensor too, it could quite possibly be in other cameras but we know what to look for!

The switch lens, is that also from shapeways?

The joystick looks like a found part, maybe military. It has that abused look that the "other" joystick handle, being a camera handle, doesn't have.

Oh, 2 things:

metal disc - looks like the platform for an arm on a Michell turntable.

Mystery boxes on the right... to me almost look like translucent clear boxes... whether switch lenses, more magnified display boxes or mode kit parts I'm not sure.

LOVE the video. Idk why but I love this prop a lot. The dots seem thicker than stickers. I was also wondering what structure goes beneath. I think you nailed the sensor too, it could quite possibly be in other cameras but we know what to look for!

The switch lens, is that also from shapeways?

The joystick looks like a found part, maybe military. It has that abused look that the "other" joystick handle, being a camera handle, doesn't have.

I thought about paint on the surface, but it could be just a thick sticker. I'm not sure how they would cut holes in the keys. Also if you look closely they didn't get some of them centered on the key.

The red button is from the parts of star wars store. I have a link in the blog to it.

Yeah, I was looking at jet/airplane control sticks, helicopter collectives, and motorcycles parts. But it could also be a power tool. Really it could be anything, like something that isn't a handle.

Oh, 2 things:

metal disc - looks like the platform for an arm on a Michell turntable.

Mystery boxes on the right... to me almost look like translucent clear boxes... whether switch lenses, more magnified display boxes or mode kit parts I'm not sure.

The metal disc I'm thinking the same thing, the only thing is it might be a little thick.

Actually, what does everyone see in those dots for color? Some are obviously red, but the other ones kind of look white, but they could also be yellow.

tubes.png

Yellow on those left dots?
Anyway, here us the 1975 exacta 31? Whatever the other one is, I forget at the moment. There's an extra hole for a switch not on this model, looks like they used the same frame for a few calculators.

Check out the bumpers that came on mine, the screws and even the black headed screws on the display!
1566072164333243101316566939642.jpg

15660721988305989007727074536866.jpg

Last edited:
I'm so mad because I wanted to buy a few exactra 31 a few weeks back because I was sure the screws were the same as the ones from the exactra 20. There was this calculator for 8usd that I was wanting to buy but shipping was like 35usd to France. Now I see all those screws, plus the black ones and now that calculator is even used on another starwars prop... sometimes I should just buy instead of overthinking prices...

The stick has me puzzled. I was thinking motorcycle but the pin above his index finger looks like it has a cotter pin running through it. If it was an aircraft part there would probably be safety wire connecting all three fasteners together . It will be interesting to find out what it is.

Yellow on those left dots?
Anyway, here us the 1975 exacta 31? Whatever the other one is, I forget at the moment. There's an extra hole for a switch not on this model, looks like they used the same frame for a few calculators.

Check out the bumpers that came on mine, the screws and even the black headed screws on the display!
View attachment 1049477
View attachment 1049479

Nice find on the screws. The TI-3000 doesn't have black screws to secure the screen, it's has a bracket it fits into. It does have the bumpers, but they looked a little small for the ROTJ DL-44 bumper to my eyes, I'll have to compare it more closely.

Finally caved and bought the TI-3000. Will start my own thread once it gets here so I stop hijacking this one ;)

You can use this one if you want, I put it up for everyone to post progress and get more eyes on the unknown parts.

This is all great stuff, I never paid much attention to the joysticks, but it's cool to follow along while y'all figure out all the bits and bobs!

I was gonna say the same thing about the cotter pins in the top of the handle/stick. Those are all over the place on military equipment. Don't rule out stuff like lift/condor/other heavy equipment controls!

Although, election seat lever sounds like a possibility. When I was set dressing on Avengers: Infinity War, there were ROWS and ROWS of pallet gaylords FULL of this kinda stuff!

I think I found some of those switch lenses, vintage with no known manufacturer or info :( will post when I get them in the mail, they come paired with opaque ones that are identical

I'm sorry, didn't mean to make you repeat yourself. I've been on there and in the sale page I only see a scope casting, trooper boots, and a hengstler counter. I didn't see it in the supplies section either, with the handwheels, MP40, squeegee etc. nor in the prequel section (I tried just in case) and I think I'm completely overlooking a part of that site somehow :D

Edit: once I found the manufacturer i used the product code from an RPF post to find them, and I did (digikey, radwell, newark) pricier than I expected!

looks really good!

Last edited:
For some reason I feel like that the Control stick is actually upside down! I think maybe the silver button is covering up where/how it was actually mounted.... I also noticed no natural switch locations that might normally be on a control stick! I use to operate heavy equipment back in the day...looks like a joystick from a bobcat-bull dozier you get the idea!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back