Interest Resin Margolin pistol for Leias DDCD (ANH or ROTJ) Update 01/22/15

OdiWan72

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Updates in post #10

Markus :)

*************************************************************************************

Ladies and gentlemen

Parallely to molding the Schermuly, I plan to throw one of my real Margolins into silicone as well.
I offered a multiple parts kit of the Margolin many years ago, but based on various request I am considering another run.

Still have to figure out the details, but here´s what I currently think of

Margolin body (black tinted resin)
Compensator (black tinted resin)
Rear sight windage knob (black tinted resin)

eventually I´ll mold the grips separately...In this case I could offered alu powdered Margolin casts
Also thinking about incorporating metal barrels into the casts, but I´d have to find accurately sized tubing first.

Kit would NOT include any conversions parts for either the ANH or the ROTJ DDCD, these have to be sourced individually (maybe BobaDept still has his blueprints for the ROTJ muzzles and could be convinced to offer these ;)) Bumpers, coiled wire, TomTit engine grills etc...

Thinking about a +/-150 USD pricetag plus s&h.

Please post here so I know if the efforts of molding it would be justified.
Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Re: Resin Margolin pistol for Leias DDCD (ANH or ROTJ)

Update:
Have the first halves of the molds done, but ran out if silicone.
My suppliers business is closed until the 7th january, then I will order new stuff and finish the molds

Kit contains of main body, grips, windage knob and compensator

Markus

Marcus, very interested. Prop funds are still an issue but in this case I am hopeful that when the time comes, I can swing this. When I ordered tomtit parts for my Greedo blaster, I ordered extra in the event that this project would happen.

Maybe be you can enlist the help of Toolguy to design and sell add on parts in his store. I don't know how I would have ever finished my Greedo Blaster without him.

I would like to build both versions but as I said, funding. Most likely I will do a Return of the Jedi version since I have the MR A New Hope version already in my collection.

anyhow, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

I might be interested depending on the materials used. I like the idea of an alu powdered base with separate grips. Metal barrels would be cool as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the interest guys...will keep you updated, once my suppliers shop opens again and I am able to finish the molds

Markus

Fortunately I found this, how did I miss it!!:cry

Interested as well!! Double what ReelFakes wrote!:thumbsup

Regards,

Alberto

Last edited:

Just placed the order for the needed silicone...should be able to finish the molds upcoming weekend and post some pics of the first cast early next week

Markus

Silicone arrived on tuesday, will pour the second halves of the mold tonight & do first cast on friday/ saturday

Seems like good timing for my small run of resin Margolins, since BD recently announced the DDCD as being one of his next projects ;)
Still have to discuss the details with him, but he surely will offer a run of ROTJ compensators with the real TomTit radial engine grill (for either the ANH or the ROTJ DDCD) STILL being available at Reade Models UK for cheap!

get some coiled wire and some square rubber bumpers and you have the conversion parts to build either version with my Margolin!

Here are some pics of the 1st (test) cast, straight from the mold w/o any cleanup done...
Still having to work out a few issues with bubbles trapping in some corners of the mold(s), but it should be doable ;)
As you can see, all you need for the ANH DDCD is a TomTit radial engine grill, some coiled wire and some tubing for the barrel extension. the rest is a matter of clean up, assembly and paint :cool

Markus

I know Im resurrecting an old thread, but fingers crossed you offer these. I've given up on a real margolin and a deactivated one is impossible to find in the states.

Sorry, cannot help you out.

But since you kicked up this old thread, I thought I would share how mine turned out.

The grips were cast so clean i thought it would be shameful to paint them. Just a little sanding and some polishing.

DSCF7432.JPG
DSCF7435.JPG
IMG_2565.jpg
IMG_2566.jpg

Well, if there's any chance that OdiWan72 would ever do another run, I'd be interested. I'm working on a Rubies right now and I hate the blasted thing. It feels cheap, the barrel is warped, and the seams have mm-sized misalignments and gaps. I'd pay $100+ to not have to continue filling and sanding it.

Well, if there's any chance that OdiWan72 would ever do another run, I'd be interested. I'm working on a Rubies right now and I hate the blasted thing. It feels cheap, the barrel is warped, and the seams have mm-sized misalignments and gaps. I'd pay $100+ to not have to continue filling and sanding it.

LOL yep, I still have PTSD from my Rubies. I left it ANH style, but the sanding and filling took months before I was happy with it! I think it was at least 8 rounds of sanding and filling.

LOL yep, I still have PTSD from my Rubies. I left it ANH style, but the sanding and filling took months before I was happy with it! I think it was at least 8 rounds of sanding and filling.

Huh. The Rubies must have dropped in quality after the initial release. I don’t remember having that hard of a time cleaning up seams when I modified it for the A New Hope version…. But then again that tend to be typical with Rubies. Even when they do come out with something good, they go an screw it up.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back