Restoring an Icons x-wing

A quick update:

Managed to accomplish this between business trips.

Using 1/8" brass rod, I pinned the engine boxes to the fuse. The 1/8" rod is probably overkill, and I probably could have used 2 pins instead of 3.
Shown, is the port side upper engine box. Nearly perfect fit, a little tight, but I'll have a play with the holes and adjust the fit slightly.

The starboard upper didn't go so well. Apparently, 'tolerance stack' caught up with me. That's engineer speak for, ' I didn't measure twice before drilling the holes'. I'll fly my dumb-*** flag for that mistake.

I'll fill the mis-drilled holes with Apoxie Sculpt, and after it hardens, I'll do it correctly.
Once the pins are sorted, I'll remove the engine boxes and its time to build out the wing assemblies.

Last edited:
Fixed my 'tolerance stack' error, and now all four engine boxes are pinned to the fuse. It's starting to look vaguely like an X-wing again. Woohoo!

Now, I get to remove everything, and build out the wings. Progress may be slow, as I have a few business trips coming up.

Last edited:
The s-foils are now all attached to the engine boxes. To verify the alignment of the wings, I slipped them back onto the fuse. Alignment is spot on.

Looking more and more like an x-wing. Next, I'll get the engines primered and ready to be attached to the s-foils.

Last edited:
A slight bit of progress. If I can get the honey-do list my wife had for me finished, I'll get the s-foils in primer tonight.

S-foils are primed. A few minor imperfections to fill, but no big deal. FWIW, I used Mr. Surfacer primer.
After that's sorted, I'll lay a base coat of Tamaya AS-20 Insignia White.

Last edited:
The original paint was pretty bad, so I'm trying my hand at painting this little bird. It's my first effort with an airbrush, and quite frankly, my first effort at making anything look weathered. This is the beginning of the fuse.
I'm in awe of how beautiful you guys build and paint, and always said that you don't learn anything without criticism, so fire away. I think I was a bit heavy with the Maskol, but it may look better once the whole bird it together, and has gone through a few washes to dirty it all up.

I was was pleased with the Paasche airbrush. Took a little getting used to, but I found it fun to use, and easy to clean.

Last edited:
Had a few hours to myself today, so did a little painting.
I ran out of Tamiya AS-20, and my LHS is out, so I'm on the hunt for a can or two. I'll base coat the lower s-foils when I find some.

I was able to match the original color of the canopy almost exactly, with a custom mix. I'm pretty pleased with that.

Last edited:
How accurate are you going for with your finish?

Are you aiming for tee-totaller, 100% as-close-as-fricking-possibe-to-the-original paint job, or are you shooting for, say 75%-ish accuarte, a pretty good representation of Red 5...?

I'm trying to do a nicer version of the original Icons paint job. Realize that Icons didn't do a screen accurate paint job, but I wanted to retain the original flavor of the Icons model.

Im a long way off from finishing, and weathering, so any criticism/advice you may have it greatly appreciated.

Thank you, dtssyst. I'm going to re-do the yellow and grey on the fuse. The yellow needs to be more 'orange' to be close to the original Icons paint, and the grey is too dark.

I've re-done the yellow and grey on the fuse. It is now much closer to the original Icons paint job, and much less 'toy' like.
The yellow is now much more earthy, and the grey lighter.

Still on the hunt for a can of two of Tamiya AS-20, so that I may finish the lower s-foils. May play with trying to mix my own Insignia White to match the As-20.

Last edited:
Haven't mixed up a suitable shade of insignia white, so I'll wait until my LHS gets more Tamiya AS-20 back in stock. Should be a couple of weeks.

In the mean time, I've played with a little weathering. I have a lot to learn.

The first 100 or so X-Wings that came out of Icons were painted by talented artists. When production kicked into high gear, it was an assembly line of shame.

Looking good so far. BTW you can get great weathering and dulling of the paint with chalks. The black chalk really pulls down the brightness of the paint and gives it a gritty look. Like the Falcon, there are about 10 different painting and weathering techniques used. The trick is to know when to say when.

Looks a lot better than the crappy Icons paintjob, but whats with those blue paint spots on the lower wing is that liquid mask?

Looks a lot better than the crappy Icons paintjob, but whats with those blue paint spots on the lower wing is that liquid mask?

Thats my guess. I did some of the work on the prototypes at Icons before it turned into mass production and diminished quality. I remember the day my buddy Max walked in with the retooled Kenner X-Wing. They took our bird, turned it into a toy with electronics and sold it for $39.99. They even included our molding 'tells'.

I gotta say, the early days at Icons was great. We would work on projects around various tables in the heat of summer at night in Burbank with Star Trek TNG playing on VHS. There was a lot of love put into creating the worlds first licensed prop replicas.

OP, you have a great bird with some great history. Its good to see it come back to life.

Thank you, gentlemen. your words are very kind.

I need to get back on this and finish it. Finally have a supply of the AS20 base coat, just need to find the time to get busy again.
Yes, the blue splotches on the lower wings are liquid mask.

I am anxious to get this one finished. I love the history of these x-wings, and it has been a fun project using my very meager skills to try to breathe life it in again. I have signed up for Mike Salzo's painting class at JerseyFest this year, to learn more about painting and weathering. Hopefully I will be able to apply what I learn to help bring this lovely little x-wing back to life.

Thank you again, gentlemen!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back