Revell Apollo CM/SM 1:32 model

PHArchivist

Master Member
Just picked this up today. 40th anniversary version.

Cool kit. Has clear hull portions to show the innards. Recommended for Real Space modelers, or if you're like me and cannot build a model that is not film-inspired, it can be easily built into an Apollo 13 version.

And though it may not be true studio scale (from Apollo 13, or From The Earth To The Moon, perhaps), it has the mass and girth to had the "feel" of a studio scle model.

Last edited:
Kenny my friend...! Its a 40th anniversary 2009 release, and being from Revell, if its not at your local money vacuum (hobby shop), it should be soon.

Did I mention the CM is metalized in gold?

The Monogram 1:32 is a great sized kit, too bad there's no Lunar Module available to go with it. (there's an old hard to find kit from Vista, and Custom Replicas was working on one for years but I don't know the status of that project, seems to be stalled.)

The Command Module looks silver in space, but on the ground in prelaunch pics it looks blue. I don't know if perhaps that's some kind of protective coating (everything else seems to have plastic wraps, covers, etc.).

ap11s6932370.jpg

Ap17cm.jpg

Possibly it's blue chrome in space too, but the harsh lighting conditions (and the fact that it's reflecting black space and gray moonscape most of the time) makes it look silver rather than blue..

AS9203071.jpg

Last edited:
Great pics as always Kral. That blue is a protective coating removed before launch. They left a few strips on in the bottom pic you can actually see.

Oh, shrinkwrapped for your protection, eh? :love

Awesome, thanks for clarifying that. So, I guess bright silver "striped" then, in space. :)

Of course all that coating was ablative, so when the CM entered the atmosphere at the end of the mission, all the shiny burned off, leaving the burnt beige that we see in the Smithsonian.

a19700102000cp89.jpg

The CM was covered in a chrome foil tape, the blue plastic was a protective wrap. The Apollo 9 CM was named Gumdrop because the blue made it look like, well, a gumdrop :)

The gold plating on the kit always baffled me, but it may have been based on photos available at the time. The foil tape looked gold when burned from reentry.
hardware_011.jpg

Or maybe this shot of Apollo 9, with the desert sands reflected in the tape.
Apollo_9_CSM.jpg

Detail sets for the Apollo kit are available here www.realspacemodels.com/html/catalog2.htm

I suppose some Bare Metal Foil can correct the issue.

When I do my build, I'll need to do something anyway - 20% of the CM hull is cast in clear so you can see the astronauts, but I intend to "seal" it so you can't see the insides (make it like the real deal)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back