Rudolph and Santa stop motion puppets *PICTURE HEAVY*

animator

Sr Member
The Rudolph and Santa stop motion puppets went on display at the Center For Puppetry Arts here in Atlanta today, so I took reference pictures in case anyone would like to try and make versions.

I'd like to thanks the generous owner who let these treasures be put on display for the public!

It was a real joy to see these! They are absolutely beautiful. I tried to get lots of picture angles! Enjoy!

DSC05170.jpg

DSC05174.jpg

DSC05176.jpg

DSC05178.jpg

DSC05192.jpg

DSC05202.jpg

DSC05216.jpg

DSC05256.jpg

DSC05242.jpg

DSC05266.jpg

DSC05279.jpg

DSC05288.jpg

DSC05290.jpg

DSC05295.jpg

DSC05313.jpg

DSC05304.jpg

DSC05326.jpg

DSC05328.jpg

Merry Christmas!

I have 4K (cell phone) video walking around the puppets as well. I'll post that soon.

I'll be going back in a couple of weeks if anyone needs pictures of anything specific.
When you return (This may sound silly), could you get some photos of -
-Santa's boots
-Santa's belt/belt buckle
-A clear side view of Santa
-A top view of the puppets (If possible).
I would love to get photos of more specific details for reference.
Thanks.

When you return (This may sound silly), could you get some photos of -
-Santa's boots
-Santa's belt/belt buckle
-A clear side view of Santa
-A top view of the puppets (If possible).
I would love to get photos of more specific details for reference.
I'm trying to not double up on angles, but also include useful reference. Top down is sort of impossible with how the puppets are displayed and my camera set up. This is the best I can do top down. I'm also having some difficulty focusing on certain things. I need a new camera.

I took my kids to the Center for Puppetry Arts Rudolph puppet show. It is a very elaborate production and I highly recommend it if you are in the area.

I hope people enjoy these pictures!

DSC05427.jpg

DSC05424.jpg
DSC05422.jpg
DSC05433.jpg
DSC05455.jpg
DSC05532.jpg
DSC05572.jpg
DSC05570.jpg
DSC05551.jpg
DSC05533.jpg
DSC05508.jpg
DSC05510.jpg
DSC05509.jpg
DSC05514.jpg
DSC05512.jpg
DSC05549.jpg
DSC05579.jpg
DSC05522.jpg

I'm trying to not double up on angles, but also include useful reference. Top down is sort of impossible with how the puppets are displayed and my camera set up. This is the best I can do top down. I'm also having some difficulty focusing on certain things. I need a new camera.

I took my kids to the Center for Puppetry Arts Rudolph puppet show. It is a very elaborate production and I highly recommend it if you are in the area.

I hope people enjoy these pictures!

View attachment 1515118

View attachment 1515119View attachment 1515120View attachment 1515121View attachment 1515122View attachment 1515123View attachment 1515124View attachment 1515130View attachment 1515131View attachment 1515132View attachment 1515133View attachment 1515134View attachment 1515135View attachment 1515136View attachment 1515137View attachment 1515138View attachment 1515139View attachment 1515140
These shots are Spectacular!!! Thanks for taking the time to get more specific shots. Also thanks for that HD shot of the Rudolph structure.

Hi. Thanks for sharing your excellent photos. I was very glad to see Rudolph and Santa back on display at the Puppetry museum in Atlanta, especially since they've been off public display since 2006.

Pumpernickel

I feel like this new bit of new hasn't gotten a lot of publicity... I stumbled across completely by accident while trying to find pictures of the restoration of these guys...

Apparently the Rudolph/Santa pictured here (and sold at PIH) were actually publicity puppets sent to the US in 1964 (while filming of the movie was still going on) so they could be photographed for magazine covers, ads, etc... The original, screen used puppets (apparently all of them) are on display in a museum in Japan (where the puppets and the film was made), and the ones there screen match perfectly while the ones that PIH sold do not (but they perfectly match all the publicity photos that were used for the show at the time...
Interesting revelation... The ones that supposedly melted in the person's attic (all the characters except Santa and Rudolph) were all publicity puppets...

I feel like this new bit of new hasn't gotten a lot of publicity... I stumbled across completely by accident while trying to find pictures of the restoration of these guys...

Apparently the Rudolph/Santa pictured here (and sold at PIH) were actually publicity puppets sent to the US in 1964 (while filming of the movie was still going on) so they could be photographed for magazine covers, ads, etc... The original, screen used puppets (apparently all of them) are on display in a museum in Japan (where the puppets and the film was made), and the ones there screen match perfectly while the ones that PIH sold do not (but they perfectly match all the publicity photos that were used for the show at the time...
Interesting revelation... The ones that supposedly melted in the person's attic (all the characters except Santa and Rudolph) were all publicity puppets...

This was actually something I discovered when making my first Sam the Snowman replica in 2020. I did some more research on my (at the time) theory and was able to confirm my theory was correct. Once I shared my discovery with Rick Goldschmidt (The Rankin/Bass historian and writer of this article you shared) through instagram he shared it through his blog the next day. For the past years he has been claiming the discovery to be his own. I spent a lot of time researching for this discovery, only for him to say he discovered it by re-watching the special once? It's honestly kind of upsetting for me. I really wanted to be a part of discovering something game changing for Rankin/Bass and its history. I tried confronting him on the matter but ended up getting blocked through email as well as his socials. My apologies. I hate to be that guy, but I just wanted to share.

Ugh, that sucks... I definitely know how it feels to have someone take your information and claim they 'came up with it all on their own'... Though nothing as significant as this...
He's probably trying to save face as much as possible as I think he was the one that helped vet them in the first place as real screen used puppets....

I'm sure everyone here knows about the misfits song reprise being replaced with Fame and Fortune for the second year.
When one watches with that in mind, at the cut to the new footage it is quite apparent that a new Hermey puppet had been made for it.

If Japan still has all those originals still around, I wonder why the first Hermey was not available at the time.

"Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" was the Montgomery Ward Christmas mascot, and my favorite childhood animated Christmas special. I looked for the closest prop to the original puppet(s), and purchased 2 of these little beauties several years ago. Mass produced by Memory Lane in the mid 2000s, this flocked posable figure is not perfect, but definitely still Rudolph. Stands 7.5 inches from hoof to tip of the ears. Probably the closest I will ever get to a screen used replica.

image0.jpeg

I don't own the Memory Lane Santa Claus (yet), but here's what he looks like:

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back