Sandpaper, why you clog?

jonusx

Hey! I never really ever post much, but I've been having a serious issue with bondo clogging my sandpaper. The bondo is fully hardened, but the paper doesn't even last through one sanding. Any tips?

You might try using a rasp on areas that need to be taken down a lot. I'm curious if you still might not be adding enough catalyst to the base. Or maybe it's the brand of bondo itself. Generally speaking, it shouldn't clog it up too much. But my thought is that even though the bondo is dry and hard, inherently, it's still too soft for some reason.

Thanks for the help! I'll try wet sanding. I use a metal file for the bulky stuff. I use enough hardener so that the bondo is pink. What is some quality sandpaper? I've been using a mouse sander and the black and decker paper that comes with it. I've also tried a couple other brands that work with the mouse.

It could also be the sandpaper you are using. The cheapest sandpaper tends to clog and wear out quickly.

Lynn

nope it's not the sand paper. I buy cheap sandpaper from Harbor Freight and it lasts for awhile. It's the Bondo brand filler. Another reason I'll spend the extra money for Evercoat or USC products.

You can get sandpaper formulated to clog less. Here is New Zealand it's called No-Fil or similar.

The other tip with sanding bondo is to use very light pressure and keep the paper moving fast. I find that when I press too hard it clogs quickly. Skimming the paper across the surface works best.

Regards.

I picked up some Bondo professional gold, does that work better? Where can you get evercoat?

nope it's not the sand paper. I buy cheap sandpaper from Harbor Freight and it lasts for awhile. It's the Bondo brand filler. Another reason I'll spend the extra money for Evercoat or USC products.

Supposedly the gold is a little better, but IMO, still not good enough to be worth so much extra cost. I found a local place that sells Z-Grip (~$30 a gallon - I bought this, and it's definitely much easier to work with and sand cleanly) and Rage Gold(~$50 a gallon) in an area where there are a lot of dealerships and body shops, but some Car Quest locations supposedly sell Evercoat and Rage, too. FYI, I haven't been able to find anything but bondo products at any of the Autozones or Advance Auto Parts stores or hardware stores in my area.

I wouldn't even know where to look! I've checked wal-mart and autozone. Are there any other big name places that may have the good stuff?

Supposedly the gold is a little better, but IMO, still not good enough to be worth so much extra cost. I found a local place that sells Z-Grip (~$30 a gallon - I bought this, and it's definitely much easier to work with and sand cleanly) and Rage Gold(~$50 a gallon) in an area where there are a lot of dealerships and body shops, but some Car Quest locations supposedly sell Evercoat and Rage, too. FYI, I haven't been able to find anything but bondo products at any of the Autozones or Advance Auto Parts stores or hardware stores in my area.

Oldschool auto-body repair tip here: After applying the bondo use a cheese grater while it is still tacky and before it hardens.

I have found that if you use regular Bondo you can use all methods listed above from rasps, files and graters. You can then use heavy grit “wet” sandpaper and work your way down to finer grits. To keep the wet paper from clogging, add a few drops of dish soap (Dawn/Palmolive) to the mix. It helps prolong the life of the sandpaper and makes sanding a little more efficient.

-John

I use automotive 3M wet sandpaper, it doesn't clog and the finish is even smoother, don't bother buying the cheap stuff, not only you will use more but waist more time to achieve nice results.

Gerardo

I had the same problem when trying to sand bondo. I think my grain was a bit too rough though, so there was plenty of space to be clogged. A finer grain might do you some good. It did with me anyway.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back