Screen used c3po pictures new!!!!!

It' s up for auction now:
c3pohelmet-auction.jpg

Too rich for my blood. :p

Bill

For anyone who may be interested this Luke ROTJ replica was handmade by Norman using the original blueprints and the saber pictured earlier in the thread as a guide.Also made on the original workbench.I know it's a replica but it's still pretty cool:
[attachmentid=11397]
I believe the R2 dome in the next Profiles auction also comes from Elstree.

I'm amazed to see that you guys have a direct rapport with Norman Harrison. Is there anyway that someone could liaison a question to Norman about possible authentication (or possibly other Elstree staff) of the vacuum form?

Christopher

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SithLord @ Dec 2 2006, 05:47 AM) [snapback]1369951[/snapback]</div>
Ya, I saw that. I've confirmed that it is not original.
[/b]

Yea, that protocol droid head is DEFINITELY NOT screen used from ANH.

Some poor sap won't know any better.
[/b]

Can someone elaborate as to why it's not original?

Well, right off, the "wings" that hang down at the neckbolts flare out alot, and the angle of the neckbolts going in is not correct for ANH. Next, there is a bit too much gap on the sides where the front and back halves fit together, much like the Vos and Zorg heads... if I could see larger, clearer pics and of the insides I am sure I could list alot more things that were off...

Here ya go, Ghosthost ;)

It looks like the head they bought off Ebay this year...

C3POcompMA.jpg

Comparisons against screenshots...

Ebay head...

C3POcompMB.jpg

Their head...

C3POcompMC.jpg

Against the head they are claiming in the auction...the one seen on the landspeeder is this one:

C3POorig1.jpg

Here are some problems I saw with it:

ElstreeC3POvsOrig.jpg

Well, we know that the dented faceplate went back to the States after production due to its appearance in post-production publicity photos and public appearances (such as the footprint ceremony at the Chinese theater). Thus it likely stayed with ILM. This would not contradict the story given in the ad, though. It does seem plausible that if ILM were to send a helmet to a vendor, it would send a "damaged" one that the production would be unlikely to reuse.

However, that simply proves that they chose the wrong ANH stills for their ad, not that it isn't an ANH head.

Since we have recently learned that the forehead bolt is simply press fit, it isn't unreasonable that it might not sit properly after 30 years. It's also possible it and the neck bolts aren't original anyway, for they would not be needed for the color-matching purposes in their story.

I don't see what you're referring to in the other parts of the photos.

Mind ya, I'm not saying it IS an ANH helmet, (and I'm not yet completely confident in these "Elstree" folks), but I don't yet see proof that it isn't.

Well Profiles hasn't had the greatest reputation over the past while for putting much research into the pieces they sell or their consignors.In fact with quite a few of the Star Wars pieces over the past couple of years I think it would be fair to say there have been questions asked of them and that they also use misleading photographs in the catalogs i.e. the Qui-Gon saber in the last Hollywood auction where Neeson was pictured in the catalog holding a saber which definitively was not the one for auction.It doesn't mean that saber wasn't authentic but it does raise questions about their business ethics in my opinion.

Ok please explain but this damn helmet is silver. If anything I would say it was the silver droid walking behind threepio on the Tantive IV. Ifthey claim the finish wore off then it would be the first one to do so.

Lee

If the finish wore off there would still be lingering bits here and there as is common with wear and tear. You should still be able to see bits of gold in the recesses and such. Now, personaly, I dont see any in that helmet :rolleyes
Now, its possible that they blasted the thing and polished it, but why in the name of all that is holy would they do something that stupid?

ON the side strips that run down the head.........the two sections that protrude out more........the shape is wrong on this particular head. Both the top and bottom have a bevel about 30 degrees, but on the original ANH head.....it's almost a 90 degree angle. This is on 3PO's right side of course. It's different on the left.

While I'm on the strip that runs up and over the head, the first "indent" at the top face of the strip closest to the antenna..........it is parallel to the top of the stip on this head...........it's at a very different angle on the original ANH head.

The top lip is too wide on this head.........it's wider than the bottom lip of the mouth.....but on the original ANH head, the lips are the same width. As Sithlord pointed out.......the height of the mouth opening is off in general.

The depth of the groove under the nose.........has a specific more uneven anatomy and is deeper on the original head compared to this new one.

Just with these four facts alone............there is absolutely no way it is the same head. If you scale the two heads to the same exact dimensions.........these four areas are dramatically different.

I'm curious if this head is original at all. You would think that the ESB/ROTJ heads would have been sourced from the ANH castings at least. This is clearly a different sculpt in my opinion.

Dave

Yea, in addition, it is nowhere near as sharp as the screen used piece. It takes ALOT to warp fiberglass, especially in a round shape such as a head, and sitting around for 31 years would not do it. It would have to go into an oven (multiple times) and be physically manipulated.

Also, as this is likely the same head seen at the beginning of this thread, I can see that there isn't (and never was) certain details and hardware used to hold the head together. Why is the mouth sealed shut? Why doesn't he have pupils? And the ad at the very least insinuates that the neckbolts etc. are original... No way this is original.

Wasn't this picture taken of a helmet either at LFL or sent to a museum by LFL?

Ignoring the Profiles description as being ANH it does say that Elstree received the helmet for work on ESB.

The brass/gold color of the knob on the neck isn't washed out and still retains a gold color in that lighting. If it's on Profiles Caveat Emptor.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Treadwell @ Dec 2 2006, 05:46 AM) [snapback]1370060[/snapback]</div>
However, that simply proves that they chose the wrong ANH stills for their ad, not that it isn't an ANH head.
[/b]

It clearly doesn't look original, it has similarity to a replica they purchased on Ebay.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SithLord @ Dec 2 2006, 05:32 PM) [snapback]1370263[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Treadwell @ Dec 2 2006, 05:46 AM) [snapback]1370060[/snapback]
[/b]

I've already confirmed with Brian Muir that this head is not ANH original. He's the one that sculpted the final details on the Liz Moore head...he's the one who created those rectangular slots in the rim going around the circumference of the head, and he sculpted the circular neckbolts. It clearly doesn't look original, it has similarity to a replica they purchased on Ebay, and a person that had a hand in sculpting the original says it is not original.
[/b][/quote]

It may not be original but who'm ever done it done a fine job :thumbsup

We should try a StarGate SG1 uniform and props on the C3PO, that would be interesting :lol

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back