Shining, The

Overlook July 4 photograph

Greetings all. Long-time lurker, thought I'd sign up.

By way of hello, I've attached a high resolution version of the July 4th Ball picture from the end of The Shining. It's compiled from several sources (including the original photo without Jack Nicholson). Imperfect but pretty clean.

It's larger than life-size, which would have been around 10"x12". Scale to suit.

Attachments

• july_4_1921_overlook_edit.jpg
    july_4_1921_overlook_edit.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 494
Did anyone get to visit the Los Angeles County Museum of Art to see the Stanley Kubrick exhibit? They had MANY of the screen-used props from The Shining and other Kubrick films, including the typewriter and "All work and no play..." pages. I did manage to take a few photos with my iPhone. Not great quality, but I can post them here for reference.

Kind regards,
Craig

I went to the Kubrick exhibit at the LACMA and I was surprised to see that the original, screen used Shining photo is smaller than 8x10". It's an off size.

Here's a new one, taken from a single, large photo of the original which is currently in a traveling exhibit. No stretching/scaling was done, and there's no composites making up this photo.

I was surprised to see that the original looks naturally composited though. Makes me wonder if it really was a real photo from '23 like they claim, especially considering all of the hidden meanings within the movie itself.

-Carson

Attachments

• July 4th.jpg
    July 4th.jpg
    809.2 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
Oh, heck, it's been more than a year now. Well, it's more squarish, so maybe 8x9 or even a little smaller 7x8? I honestly can't remember now.

Close enough! I figured if I was going to print this and frame it, I might as well try to get it as close to SA as I could. Thanks again.

Black and white according to the accounts in the Taschen Kubrick books.

There were two (very similar) photos used, one for the approach shot and another for the close up. I don't remember why.

I understand Deadbolt's concerns, but multiple accounts say that SK tried but disliked contemporary photographs. The "doctored" photo was hand made with a matched shot of JN's head physically added to a reprint of the old group photo. The head was cut out by hand and a scalpel used to to remove the backing to the JN head shot and to scratch out the original head on the old group photo before hand retouching. In retouching/blending JN's hair was seemingly thickened (hiding some balding) SK remarked that JN would approve! Each of the cut and pasted amalgamated image was rephotographed for use as the prop.

SK habitually had "spares" and multiple versions/tests. As a photographer SK often had a bank of alternative images for reference and use.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back