Suggestion Should we have a 3d Printer forum here?

Droid

Since 3d Printers are becoming popular with many hobbyists, should there be a special place for sharing prop printed designs? Or does this bleed into all of the existing forums. Just putting it out there for thought.

Wes

I kinda agree with this idea. I love/hate printers. Soooo many low quality prints from FDM printers and I kind of would like to avoid those so if they were in another section I wouldn't have to see them lol.

I do love some of the shapeways builds and it would be nice to see a section just of builds off 3-d printed parts because I feel it's a completely different technique. CNC milling (what I prefer), 3-D printing, sculpt, pep and bondo, there's so many different build types I feel like it would be nice to have a little thing atleast indicating the build type.

Just my opinions though

I kinda agree with this idea. I love/hate printers. Soooo many low quality prints from FDM printers and I kind of would like to avoid those so if they were in another section I wouldn't have to see them lol.
Just my opinions though

I do agree with this, because there is always a difference in replica props... 3d home printing is not quite "there" yet, but enough enthusiasts are out there waiting and using the current evolution of printers to make things they love. To them the items are "Good Enough" To others they are sub substandard, it's a matter of taste, and talents. 3d printed items can be much better than an item bought from ebay as a cheap replica, but will never meet the needs of the people wanting an exact replica, or a replica better than the original prop, LOL, at least not yet...

While I think this is a good idea I also think that right now most people are still way off from using this medium to create props. Currently I think 3D printers are way out of price range for most hobbyists (the majority of prop builders) although as you state Shapeways is always an option.

Once the price drops down and we see more people being able to employ this technique then at that point, yes I think we should have a separate forum.

Right now though I'm happy the way the forum is setup.

Once the price drops down and we see more people being able to employ this technique then at that point, yes I think we should have a separate forum.

Right now though I'm happy the way the forum is setup.

I might have to take a little issue here, since I bought my first 3d printer last year at the maker faire as a kit for 399$. I am now making a new one with a larger print volume and re-using the last ones electronics and parts to upgrade. You learn a lot about this technology in a short time. You can use a cheap 3d printer to make the parts for a better one, that's whats fascinating about the hobby

I'm not sure there are enough 3D printed builds to deserve their own section.
Also after the first few steps a 3D printed build is like any other
Bondo
Sand
Repeat

What might be a good idea is to start a thread in the Paper Props forum with design files you are willing to share.

One thing I found when I finally got my mill set up, was that I didn't know what to make first. There was a whole bunch of props on my to do list. But I didn't want to retreat to my computer and spend days drawing things up. I wanted to cut stuff.

So we could have a thread full of people sharing design files for 3D printing or whatever. Then if anyone does get a printer they can start making things straight away.

Also there might be a few things that you think, I wouldn't want to spend hours drawing it up, but if it's there I think I'll have a go at printing one.

People often share 3D files in their build threads, why not collect them all somewhere?

What might be a good idea is to start a thread in the Paper Props forum with design files you are willing to share.

[. . .]

People often share 3D files in their build threads, why not collect them all somewhere?

I think a general 3D model forum - printable models, pep models, STL files for multiple machines, etc. - would probably be a great idea. I'm sure this will happen sooner or later.

Yeah, I would agree that a forum for 3d models and other files would be cool, like an extension of the paper props stuff. I don't see a point in separating the 3d printed builds from the "regular" builds though, because, as Madmanmoe said, they're essentially the same after the initial construction. There's quite a few props on thingiverse.com, including a design of my own.

I would love to see a separate forum for the intangible aspects of the hobby. it's something I've been mulling over for a while now, and with the rapid growth of 3D printed technologies, I think it's time time to seriously consider this; especially with the explosion of pepakura.

I think it would be awesome to have a repository of 3D files for the various props out there, everything ranging from 3D models to pep files; but why stop there? We could also have various 3D tutorials posted with the various 3D programs. I'd imagine it to be something akin to renderosity.com, a forum I've been a member of since like, forever. a lot of people like to model for kicks and giggles and I think it'd be a great place to share wip work. I'd be more than willing to help out with such an addition.

Anyways just my 2 cents

Agree with those who have said 'no' for builds. For files, tips, setup stuff, printers, pep discussion, CNC discussion, maybe. Could end up needing a lot of policing, but then they all do.

Well, we've never had a CNC forum so why 3D?

It really is a played out buzz word at this point.

We use it when the job calls for it, like anything else, but a dedicated forum?

No.

-Rylo

A prop is a prop is a prop is a prop.

As others have said here maybe just a sub forum for files but that's as far as I would take it.

I think a subforum like we have for paperprops would be a good idea. That way files and tutorials could be in all one spot.

I think a 3d file forum would be good, I only use CNC and laser, 3d printers are really no good at this stage, anything affordable gives pretty bad prints or cost too much to run.

Rylo is right, it's an overplayed buzzword, now dont get me wrong, they are ok for some things but people believe they are more capable than they actually are :)

Well, we've never had a CNC forum so why 3D?

It really is a played out buzz word at this point.

We use it when the job calls for it, like anything else, but a dedicated forum?

No.

-Rylo

I could see us doing this at some point in the future, but as Rylo pointed out, we have never focused on HOW a prop/costume is created, but on the type of item.

In the most basic terms, the site is broken into 3 major categories; props, costumes and models and within those categories, it is further divided. The Sculpting forum is the closest we have ever come to focusing on a particular aspect of how something is created. Just don't see it happening yet with 3D printing, although I am in complete agreement that 3D printing is the future of our hobby.

If we don't do it, someone else will. Better create a subforum NOW. It's just a matter of time until people sharing their files and printing their props at home becomes a common occurrence.

Furthermore, there is soon going to be lots of places offering to print your files for you. Even Staples already has a 3D printing service in the works.

There are already forums and file sharing places in place for 3D printers, no need to create yet another sub forum on the board. Have a look around there are al least 5 forums I belong to for 3D printing and that many sites again for file sharing.
My vote even though I own a 2 printers and have another in the build process and have been using Shapeways since the begining, is leave this site for the props and the other to the tech.

This exact argument used to come up when CNC became more popular and nothing ever came of it. Everything had to be CNC this and CNC that. The technology simply got better and better and it was more accessible. That's a good thing, but hardly took over the hobby and you certainly don't see everyone swapping CNC files.

A child-like way to look at the difference is CNC takes from just about any material and 3D builds from plastics, photopolymers and the like...(no, you don't get to toss Femtosecond lasers & splatter metals in the mix...it's a different animal)

I think it's a bit of a stretch to call it the future of the hobby. Again, the same argument was made with CNC. I mean, rather than spending weeks taking measurements, I can trace an engine block with a Faro Arm and send it to cut an exact replica in a few hours. It's an amazing piece of equipment but you won't see one in the average garage for decades and it most certainly hasn't changed the way we work; it just makes some things easier. The point is 3D is not revolutionary; it's simply new and approachable.

Like anything, 3D has it's place for some prototyping and light work, but it's got an ass ton of limitations, too.

Talk of "3D" reminds me a great deal of how when flatscreens came out, everyone called them Plasmas even if they weren't because that was the buzz word. I can't tell you how many people walk in my shop and ask if a given item was made 3D....they don't even know what they're asking or how to phrase the question. It's just something they heard recently and assume it's the best method.

Most really don't know what they're talking about with regard to additive manufacturing.

-Rylo

If we don't do it, someone else will. Better create a subforum NOW. It's just a matter of time until people sharing their files and printing their props at home becomes a common occurrence.

Furthermore, there is soon going to be lots of places offering to print your files for you. Even Staples already has a 3D printing service in the works.

Last edited:
Most really don't know what they're talking about with regard to additive manufacturing.

I agree with that, and sometimes I tire of trying to explain to people the difference between and limitations of 3D printing and a CNC Mill (or more often, what are cartesian machines in general)
On the other hand, most of the time I appreciate that they're trying to understand.

I put together a collection on Thingiverse of film props.
So far I just did a quick search for 'movie' and added anything related.

It could be a good way to collect film prop models together?
There's no need to burden the RPF with hosting models etc. So I might start a topic in the paper props thread, linking to that collection and see if anyone is even interested and would contribute to a prop models archive.

No point putting a lot of effort in if no one is keen on the idea of sharing their models.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back